1 (edited by David10 2018-04-06 18:45:44)

Topic: Sound quality of ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC comparing to Babyface PRO

Hi, I am the owner of a wonderful Babyface PRO.
My goal is to achieve best sound quality through monitors (Eve Audio CS208) and headphones (DT 1990 PRO) for audiophile music listening.

Questions:
1. Do ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC have a better (step up) sound quality (panorama, clarity etc.) than a Babyface PRO? Or the sound is more or less the same?
2. Is there any difference in the sound between ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC or their sound absolutely identical?

Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to listen ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC personally, so I will rely on the opinion of professionals from the forum. I will be happy if Mathias also responds.
Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-04-06 19:20:57)

Re: Sound quality of ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC comparing to Babyface PRO

1 yes I think so, as its already better than UFX+
2 identical, its the same DAC chip

This device is simply specialized on this purpose (DAC, ADDA, phones preamp, SRC)

If you need AD and DA -> Pro
If you want only DA in front of a HiFi and remote control -> DAC

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by David10 2018-04-06 20:10:36)

ramses, thank you for the answer.

Can I connect ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 DAC to the Babyface PRO and have a full features (Mic Preamps in BF PRO + High End DAC in ADI 2) sound card?
Or vice versa, connect the Babyface PRO to ADI-2 Pro?

Or they can not be used in a bunch, and each one needs to be connected to the computer separately?

They use different ASIO drivers, but you can connect both.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by David10 2018-04-06 21:23:41)

Sorry, I didn't quite understand, please specify,

I can connect them both to the computer or to each other?
And can I Install this two (ADI-2 & Babyface PRO) ASIO drivers on one computer?

6 (edited by ramses 2018-04-06 22:04:58)

An audio application can work only with one ASIO driver.
I think you would in the 1st place use the BBFP and TM FX and its ASIO / WDM driver.

The ADI-2 Pro you connect digitally to the BBF Pro.

With TotalMix FX you route the sound through i.e. ADAT or optical SPDIF toward ADI-2 Pro.

On this device you can use the Remap Key feature to be able to select finally on the ADI-2 Pro,
whether you want to listen by phone or by speakers.

A new blog article is underway ... but I need time ...

A preview especially for you .. hope it helps to understand the setup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf36j1x4vmr8rin/RME%20ADI-2%20Pro%2CAE%2CDAC%20-%20Integration%20into%20your%20setup.jpg?dl=1

7 (edited by David10 2018-04-06 22:26:11)

Thank you!

Last question:
Can I install two ASIO drivers (ADI-2 & Babyface PRO) on one computer at the same time in case if I'll want to connect devices to the computer separately?

yes

I have MADIface and HDSPe driver installed in parallel for
- 2 UFX+
- ADI-2 Pro
- 1 RayDAT

9 (edited by David10 2018-04-06 22:40:52)

Good.
I understand correctly that if I connect the ADI-2 to Babyface PRO as shown in your scheme, I'll get all the pluses of the Babyface PRO (microphone preamps/phantom power) and the amazing sound from the ADI-2 outputs through which I connect the monitors and headphones?

Should be possible, I do this with UFX+.

Should be possible, I do this with UFX+

So you are not shure?

12 (edited by ramses 2018-04-07 08:02:34)

I am RME user as you. I could test it only with my UFX+, thats all I mean. The last mile you have to go.
But where is the risk nowadays ? If you buy online you can send it back 14-30 days later without any money loss, depending on the dealer.

At the end this solution boils down to the only technical requirement to connect a digital source to the ADI-2 Pro / AE / DAC and that you route your Audio through that digital source. The rest you switch on the ADI-2 Pro / AE / DAC as you can see from the picture on the right hand side.

If you want to integrate an ARC USB on top, to be able to control even more, then it has to be a RME recording device which supports TotalMix FX. RME updated the drivers of all of their recording interfaces back to (I think it was) ~2002. So you have maby RME recording interfaces where you can use the ARC USB.

If you look to the product page on RME web server then you see what digital sources are supported by the three different devices. ADI-2 Pro and AE are equal in terms on I/O, only the DAC is slightly different as its missing the typical studio standards like AES. Therefore I updated the picture (v2 now) to make it clear, what each of these 3 devices support in terms of digital inputs.

All that YOU need to perform at the end is to route your audio signals through the ADAT output of your recording interface.
Best is maybe that you assign in TotalMix FX "ADAT 1/2" to be your "Main Out" as this will be now your "Main Out". Maybe you need to adjust on the ADI from what digital source the signal arrives, but "Auto" should do as you can see in the configuration sniplet in the drawing, because Auto means automatic detection.

You won't get a written statement from me that it 100% works, because I do not own your equipment (BBFP).
But if you look at it, if this works i.e. with an UFX+ ... Why should it not work with a BBFP ?!?!?!
Either I did a mistake or you do not understand the setup wink

@David10
All the things you ask about should work. Am I sure? It depends to what degree should I.

ramses,
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm waiting for your article.

15 (edited by ramses 2018-04-07 14:13:25)

David10 wrote:

ramses,
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm waiting for your article.

Thanks that you read my article, but why you wait now ? I thought you want to implement this.
The article will only be a little accompany text to the drawing and might need 1-2 weeks until I find time.

All relevant information you see already in the picture.

Got it. Will order ADI 2 DAC.

Thanks for help.

Enjoy the device, you will love it ;-)

And here the blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Thanks, man!)

You're welcome wink