Topic: SPDIF optical takes over

Hi all.
I use two inputs, USB and SPDIF optical.
USB plays nicely when the only input.
But when I plug in the SPDIF optical source (my TV) it takes over and I have not been able to figure out how to switch between these two sources.
If I pull out the SPDIF source the USB starts playing again.
Please tell me how I should set up the ADI-2 PRO to be able to switch between the two sources, and not have to pull out the optical cord every time.
Best regards
Arni

Re: SPDIF optical takes over

Hello Arni,

From the ADI-2 DAC menu, go to: IO > Settings > Source

From that point, you can select any input. I am doing exactly what you are trying to do, and switching 'source' via the above menu option works perfectly without any need to unplug the SPDIF optical cable.

Dale

Thank´s dmboresz
One more thing needs the right setting.
One needs to go into >SETUP >Basic Mode - and choose DAC
Then what you pointed out becomes possible  yikes)

Arni,

I just discovered a much simpler way to switch between the USB and SPDIF inputs. The remote control has three buttons: "COAX", "OPT", and "USB", and as one would expect, can be used to select the current input.

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner. This is only the second day I've had the unit so still lots to learn!

Have fun!

The OP uses an ADI-2 Pro, which does not have a remote control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The OP uses an ADI-2 Pro, which does not have a remote control.

Hi, MC. Many thanks for your reply. I'm trying to record vocals. I'm trying multi-channel mode now. The latency seems to be no problem now. However, SPDIF In seems to cut the DAW playback on my ADI 2-Pro.

here is my setup.

- USB cable to connect to DAW / computer (*note ADI is in Basic mode: AUTO, BUT I changed CC-Mode to "multi-channel")

- 1 analog in (L on ADI-2) from 3rd Party mic preamp

- SPDIF out to send to digital reverb unit

- SPDIF in as return from digital reverb unit

So for playback, I want to hear (1) playback from DAW (backing track), (2) mic pre from analog in, (3) SPDIF in from reverb unit.
I want to mix all the levels within my DAW. I want to hear this from Phones 3/4. Is this possible?

In multi-channel mode, I can hear DAW playback as normal until I connect SPDIF in. SPDIF in seems to cut iTunes + DAW playback.

I'm almost there. All I'm missing is the SPDIF IN as an input that I can record. SPDIF Out 7/8 is available to select, and it works (my reverb unit is receiving SPDIF input, and clock information). But in my DAW, I cannot find the ADI-2's SPDIF In. None of the inputs 1-6 seem to be SPDIF In. There is no 7/8 input.

kind regards,
ian

SPDIF IN is 5/6.

If SPDIF In cuts USB then the unit syncs to SPDIF, and SPDIF currently has a sample rate that does not match your USB/DAW sample rate...so your digital FX unit is not syncing to the SPDIF signal that it gets from the ADI, and/or the ADI is not set to Internal clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

SPDIF IN is 5/6.

If SPDIF In cuts USB then the unit syncs to SPDIF, and SPDIF currently has a sample rate that does not match your USB/DAW sample rate...so your digital FX unit is not syncing to the SPDIF signal that it gets from the ADI, and/or the ADI is not set to Internal clock.

Thank you MC big_smile