Topic: RME customer service?

Hi, I am a Universal Audio user, considering moving across to RME.

One really important thing to me is customer service,

Can you tell me how RME customer service is please? on a scale of 1-10.

Many thanks in advance.

2 (edited by ramses 2018-04-14 08:42:36)

Re: RME customer service?

As former Focusrite customer I can only tell that I am extremely satisfied with RME.

Take i.e. the support quality that you get in this RME user forum. Compared to other customer forums where I made already a lot of experiences in my life, the quality here is outstanding. You communicate directly with founder and lead designer of RME products as well as customer support and other experienced RME users. Its a great supportive community.

RME products itself are designed to allow for later firmware changes. But not only in terms of firmware to control the operation of the device, this includes also the I/O (be it firewire, USB or thunderbolt). So with RME products you do not come into a situation, that you have to live with a bug of i.e. a communication chip of a 3rd party company, which can't be changed anymore. With RME products everything can still be changed by firmware upgrade of the built-in FPGA.

The company stands behind all products and from time to time you get big benefits by initiatives / upgrades like this, which do not cost you any money:
- New TotalMix FX version with TotalMix Remote functionality (currently in Beta 5)
- TotalMix 4 ALL, where the new TotalMix FX software has been backported to devices of up to ~2002.
This has very positive side effects for all customers, as you can make use of the new ARC USB now, which has the only simple requirement of a recording device which has TotalMix FX support.
- enhancements in the FX effects section
- additional Class compliance support for devices like the Octamic XTC

So if you invest into RME products then you invest into a high quality product, packaged together with industry leading cool options and features (TotalMix FX, DigiCheck, ARC USB, OctaMic XTC as AUX device, remote-controllability via MIDI, MADI, ...). A product that is being developed further so that you have a high sustainability in regards to your investment.

This interview is very informative: https://www.rme-usa.com/interview-mattias-carstens.html

I am using RME devices since 4 years: UFX, RayDAT, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC and I am very satisfied.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by FIXXXER 2018-04-14 13:11:54)

Why are you leaving Universal Audio if i may ask? (I am planing to switch from RME to UA haha)
I guess you are not satisfied with their customer service but honestly nowadays this is a general issue and can not really be
applied to a certain company.

kerochan wrote:

Hi, I am a Universal Audio user, considering moving across to RME.

One really important thing to me is customer service,

Can you tell me how RME customer service is please? on a scale of 1-10.

Many thanks in advance.

10/10

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

5 (edited by ramses 2018-04-15 14:11:28)

FIXXXER wrote:

I am planing to switch from RME to UA

Sad to hear that. A few comments, without (hopefully) hijacking this thread too much. I personally think your system is broken, you spend a lot of time to try this and that, but never consequently worked on fixing your PC.

All started with this thread: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24795 Look .. you tried already 3 different RME cards (9632 and HDSPe AIO). 3 different cards, but still you have noise issues.
Isn't that strange ?

In this thread it goes further with audio drops: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25381
And you tried a lot to compensate that, the new USB3 cards only brought a little bit of stability, but also didn't entirely fix the issues. This is also very strange.

I also had issues years ago with a bad MSI mainboard and know based on that experience (a lot of tuning and troubleshooting) that some mainboards are simply broken.

Now you even intend to change to another vendor to get another recording interface, instead of
consequently looking into the direction of your HW .. as there are indications that it is broken.

What I would do in your situation, trying to find out the root cause for audio drops and stay with RME.
If you have no other system to make A/B comparisons you might need to get new PSU and mainboard.

I would keep the ADI-2 Pro if you like the conversion quality, but I would use it in front of a
recording interface with TotalMix Routing capabilities like i.e. UFX II.
Also in this field you did not choose consequently a product what you would really require
based on your intended use cases. Yes the ADI-2 Pro is powerful and flexible, but what you
require is simply a recording interface with zero latency routing (TotalMix FX), which is simply
intended / designed for such purposes.

This is what I do now and its really a wonderful setup: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … tup-EN-DE/

I hope I could motivate you again, to work on the issues in a structured way without performing
any form of panic shopping / vendor hopping.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Like Ramses I have had focusrite and RME interfaces. Both interfaces have had physical damage issues which required the units to be sent back for repair. Both Focusrite and RME sorted these issues out with no hassles.The focusrite was under warranty, the RME wasn't.
However, consider this. I bought the RME ucx on ebay from a shop/distributor. The seller, (once I had managed to get a non-neutrik mic XLR stuck in the input) bent over  backwards to help, and paid, for the repair in RME's place in Germany. The cost of the repair was pricey but not ridiculous, didn't take forever, and I think the whole experience cost me £20 or something. That is service, esp. with a used item. Depending on your country (in the uk it's Synthax) the distributors are  something to consider. Synthax are the best I've known and I'm an AV engineer used to dealing with repairs and shit