1 (edited by romchique 2018-04-29 02:14:22)

Topic: Proper setup of ADI-2 DAC to play both DSD and PCM audio

Hello,

I have an ADI-2 DAC with latest firmware and drivers. I use it as a primary sound device in Windows 10 OS and it is connected via USB. I also use foobar2k to play both DSD and PCM audio and use DSD ASIO as output. Everything works fine except one thing.
When I play DSD audio in my audio player and there is a sound coming from the OS (for example a notification from another program) I hear a weird hissing noise mixed with the sound from the OS and then my DSD sound signal is resumed. I assume this is because of a mix of DSD signal from the audio player and PCM signal from OS. So I have two questions:

1. I'm worried whether the situation I described might damage the device somehow (I assume it should not but just to be sure).
2. Is there any way to avoid that crazy hissing sound? I could use WASAPI in foobar so that any signal not coming from the audio player would be blocked. But I prefer to use ASIO since I play both DSD and PCM audio and my PCM audio files have different sample rates so WASAPI is not really an option because of manual sample rate switching. And seems like when I use ASIO the OS is still able to send audio signal to the device producing that weird hissing sound as a result. Is there a possibility to setup the device/player so the audio player gets exclusive access to the device using ASIO output?

Thank you.

Re: Proper setup of ADI-2 DAC to play both DSD and PCM audio

1. No damage.

2. Go to System Control, Sound panel, disable the ADI-2 DAC as system playback device.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Or disable all system sounds! (That is a preset in the list of system sounds)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

No, this is not an option. I still want to use the DAC as a primary audio device. I just want my audio player to get an exclusive access to the device when playing music. With WASAPI it is possible but WASAPI implementation in the DAC's drivers is kind of uncomfortable to use. So I wanted to know if it is possible with ASIO.

I use Audioswitch 2.2.2.0 which sits in the Notification area and quickly lets you change the Windows sound device plus volume. Freeware, very useful and much quicker than going into the Sound control panel.

https://github.com/sirWest/AudioSwitch

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks!

BabyFace Pro, Win 10 LTSC 2021