1 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-25 13:43:18)

Topic: Bugs in latest USB driver 1.114

Hello.

I think the drivers are not working as intended on WDM applications, such as PC games (acting weird or misbehaving). Some sounds don't play (1.099 was fine). Anything I'm missing in the configuration? Or is it just a bug?

Windows 10 v1803 PC here, and RME Babyface Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bugs in latest USB driver 1.114

Set a typical sample rate like 44.1 kHz, then select the number of WDM devices that you need in the Swettings dialog, then open the Sound control panel and select the interface as standard playback device. Via Configure check the channel setup.

I am not aware of any changes of the WDM drivers between 1.093 and 1.114.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the same Problem. With 1.114  Deezer PC App and also Sonarworks Systemwide don't work anymore. Checked that one WDM Device is selected and also switched to 44.1 kHz, no chance.
Went back to 1.099 and everything is fine again.

Windows 7 PC here.

4 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-05 16:18:41)

MC wrote:

Set a typical sample rate like 44.1 kHz, then select the number of WDM devices that you need in the Swettings dialog, then open the Sound control panel and select the interface as standard playback device. Via Configure check the channel setup

Setting the channel setup to stereo (via configure in the sound settings in control panel) fixed the issue. I think it was set to other channel configuration by default. This additional step was not necessary in previous driver versions.

But now it's working as it should. Thank you.

ok, also checked back the channel setup.
after installation of 1.114 it was set to mono. after changing to stereo everything was fine again.
in 1.099 the mono option was not available so after installation it was by default stereo.

so, working again

6 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-07 04:21:41)

Yes, but I think the new driver requires to configure some things in Windows 10's control panel sound settings (they weren't necessary before). Today this happened: the overall volume in WDM applications somehow got lower (even when the level in mixer was all the way up), and I had to 'fix' it by tinkering with settings; somehow the 'disable enhancements' setting did it. Overall I think Windows 10 sound settings are acting kinda strange with this new driver..So I decided to go back to 1.099 and everything is fine again...

Please check that RME.

Are you on Windows 1803?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-07 04:09:58)

MC wrote:

Are you on Windows 1803?

Indeed. April update.

9 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-11 19:12:26)

Is there anything wrong with the new drivers or is it my system? A newer version of drivers in the making?

I checked 1.114 on my W10 1803 installation. For me speaker configuration did not switch to Mono but was set to 5.1, which I don't know if that was set before updating the driver. If speakers are set to Mono, though, then all sound from the right (front or back) are not played at all.

If the speaker test button of the Windows settings are used then the right channel/speaker only plays crackles, while the left speaker plays the chimes sound.

It's worth mentioning that "Disable all Enhancements" was already set for me, but enabling it doesn't seem to have an impact (in quick tests).

I am also having an issue with 1.114.

1. Open Control Panel > Sound
2. Click Speakers and click Set Default
3. Click Configure
4. Set audio channels to Stereo (note it is currently Mono), Next, Next, Finish
5. Click OK
6. Restart computer
7. Repeat steps 1-3. Note that the audio channel configuration changed back to Mono after restarting the computer.

On my W10 1803 setup I just did a restart (UFX) and speaker settings remained at Stereo.

Watch out, the highlighted mode is not the current mode, but Mono is just on top of the list. You need to look to the right side of the speaker settings window to see the currently used mode.

13 (edited by net147 2018-05-12 14:18:44)

I did check the graphic on the right side of the selected audio channels configuration. It matches what is selected.
Note I also have a similar issue with 1.099 if I change to 5.1 Surround it is not remembered after restart. It seems to always select the first audio channel configuration after restart for both 1.099 and 1.114, it is just that 1.114 has Mono as the first audio channel configuration while 1.099 has Stereo as the first audio channel configuration.

I am using Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) with RME Babyface Pro connected using USB directly to Intel USB 3.0 port.

Audio channel configurations for 1.099:
Stereo
5.1 Surround
5.1 Surround
7.1 Surround

Audio channel configurations for 1.114:
Mono
Stereo
Quadraphonic
3.1 Surround
5.1 Surround
5.1 Surround
6.1 Surround
6.1 Surround
7.1 Surround

There also seems to be a bug with duplicate audio channel configuration names as you can see above.

Timur: Which audio interface are you using? Is it connected using USB?

14 (edited by Timur Born 2018-05-12 16:03:18)

I tested using a UFX connected to USB 3.0 via TI based hub on a AMD Ryzen system. So my USB configuration is more exotic than the standard Intel root-hub setup, which usually is seen as a disadvantage rather than an advantage. wink

Do you have other audio-devices present? I do use a Creative X-Fi and various HDMI interfaces alongside my RME interfaces.

I did reproduce the speaker settings of the UFX being "changed" when I turn the UFX off -> on, but in my case it changes to 5.1 with all non stereo channels being grayed out. I also tried other settings like 3.1 or Mono, again it changes to a 5.1 display with all speakers except the stereo pair being grayed out. When I use the "Test" button then Windows tries to play sound on the grayed out speakers, which results in silence.

15 (edited by net147 2018-05-12 16:06:06)

I just have Conexant SmartAudio HD and Intel Display Audio as the other sound devices on my laptop. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the laptop with the April update about a week ago.

16 (edited by Timur Born 2018-05-12 16:08:38)

I suspect that my first test did indeed switch to 5.1, too, but I did not notice due to the grayed out speakers. This is what it looks like when I restart the UFX or Windows:

https://i.imgur.com/dt0rlJ0.jpg

The X-Fi keeps its last setting over a restart, so the issue seems RME specific.

Same here, on Win 10 1803 17134.48 / Babyface 1.114
On every Windows restart, speaker configuration in Control Panel is set back to 5.1 configuration.
Because it is in 5.1 mode, mono or center sounds will be played back on software playback channel PH 3/4.
So it’s a bug somewhere either in the new Windows 1803 (they added Sound settings in the Settings app) or RME drivers, or both...

18 (edited by Timur Born 2018-05-12 16:21:22)

I checked driver 1.099 now. This one does indeed switch back to the first entry of the list, which is Stereo. So if I switch to 5.1 and restart the UFX it will switch back to Stereo with 1.099.

Since the W10 speaker configuration is more hidden now (as in MS doesn't want you to find and change it), I suspect a change in Windows causing this.

Exact same problem with my Babyface. It's quite annoying to have to reconfigure the speaker setup with every restart. I hope it gets fixed soon.

20 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-18 04:33:31)

I hope RME can fix the new drivers.

If you look at the screenshot above: Mono is the first entry in the list of formats. This does not necessarily mean that the mono Format is selected. The selected Format is not shown, instead all possible formats are shown. You can configure the format by clicking "weiter". It's not a RME Bug that the microsoft gui does not show the format that is selected within the driver.

Just wanted to add myself to this list. I am also experiencing this. Windows 10 update (1803) messed this up for me. All was fine before. Defaults back to Mono in the list but displays a 5.1 configuration and runs through a 5.1 test when the 'Test' button is clicked in Windows. It is making WDM audio very unpredictable with some software failing completely.

We are currently working on all the above and some more reported problems. Stay tuned...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great! Thank you. How long would it take to develop a working USB driver?

There is a new version 1.119 available for testing:

[Edit: Link removed]

Changes are documented in the readme.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

26 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-30 16:23:56)

Briefly tested 1.119 and all WDM applications are acting strange (like Spotify, video players, audio players and such). Errors pop up saying something like 'the format is not supported'. Also the defaults in playback/recording devices in Windows sound settings seem to be wrong (and If I change them, they don't seem to stick in a PC restart). Back to 1.099, and all is good again.. :S

27 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-05-30 16:24:06)

More testing revealed something here: if I configure my 'Speakers' playback device in Windows sound settings and set it to 'Stereo', the issues dissapear. But if I restart Windows, the issues return again, having to do the process all over again (configuring to stereo).

So, there's still something wrong with 1.119 :S

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the link as further testing of 1.119 is not needed. We are now already at version 1.136. It's getting better and better but still not perfect. Watch this thread for news.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Anxiously waiting for a final fix to this issue.  RME is known for their rock solid drivers, and hoping this is resolved quickly.

AhnHEL
FireFace UFX

I just wanted to say thanks to both the RME team and to all the users that improve these products with their feedback. This is why I love my RME hardware: it usually works perfectly and if it doesn't, I know that there are people already solving the problem. Keep it up, guys! I'm sure the next driver release will be as solid as 1.099 was. Thanks!

Any newer driver for testing?

Not yet. Meanwhile we fixed the issue that the current format gets lost/reset after reboot. I already wanted to upload our last internal version here but found one more quirk. Still feels like we are near the final version now!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Meanwhile 1.099 works fine for stereo operation. wink

Here is version 1.157. No joke, lots of versions in-between. This one is so promising that we would appreciate if anyone interested gives it a minute to test. Note that after installation you might have to go into the Sound panel and change the formats back and forth to do a reset of various registry entries. Also the format is saved for every sample rate individually.

1.157 should fix all format incompatibilities, and also retains the currently selected format (from stereo to 7.1) over a cold boot. It does on our systems...

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1157.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

35 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2018-06-09 01:57:51)

MC wrote:

Here is version 1.157. No joke, lots of versions in-between. This one is so promising that we would appreciate if anyone interested gives it a minute to test. Note that after installation you might have to go into the Sound panel and change the formats back and forth to do a reset of various registry entries. Also the format is saved for every sample rate individually.

1.157 should fix all format incompatibilities, and also retains the curently selected format (from stereo to 7.1) over a cold boot. It does on our systems...

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1157.zip

OK, I've been testing with a variety of WDM and ASIO applications, and 1.157 is working great across the whole range. No more Windows control panel sound settings weirdness, resetting, format errors, or missing sounds in WDM apps, etc. Thank you. I'll keep testing and post back if I find something, but right now it's excellent.

@MC

Everything seems to be back to good working order within my setup.  Thank you for the quick fix, when will this driver revision become Official?

AhnHEL
FireFace UFX

We added mono again in version 1.60, but that one is still under investigation.

The above note about Admin rights is not valid, this feature is part of the installer, and still present. So pschelbert's problems stay a mystery.

Timur reported that there is no format selection for sample rates 88.2 and 176.4 kz. These sample rates are AFAWK not supported by MS/Windows and therefore the format selection is empty (has always been like that, no change).

So driver 1.157 seems to be the anticipated breakthrough, and its changes will be added to the other Windows drivers (HDSP, FW, MADIface series) as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

38 (edited by pschelbert 2018-06-11 17:42:09)

UFX: is there a driver version between 1.099 and 1.114?

To dig down it may be helpful to know which version was working and since which versione this issue is showing up.
Then it may be easier to identify the changes made in regards of ASIO.

UFX II: I have not yet tested the previous versions (09650 09634).

I'm still experiencing a weird problem with the updated driver that I never had with pre-1.114 versions: sometimes I just don't get any ASIO sound output. You can see volume output in the software (Adobe Audition for example) but it doesn't seem to reach Total FX / the interface as nothing is shown there. After restarting the software or reselecting the ASIO driver, everything is back to normal in most cases. This happens pretty often with Kontakt (standalone), Adobe Audition / Premiere  Pro and some other programs however I never experienced it with Cubase.

Just to add I have had a LOT of problems since upgrading to 114 (all the same kind of problems listed above with sound panel configuration, asio drops outs, apps trying to use adat channels as default)>

I just upgraded to 1.157 and this seems to have fixed my issues. Thanks

41 (edited by Timur Born 2018-06-22 17:41:26)

Maybe a benefit of the new driver or maybe a benefit of Windows 1803?! But I noticed the following:

In the past I had to stop and restart Youtube videos when I switched from my Creative X-Fi driven headphones to the UFX by turning on the UFX (+speakers). Or more specific: after switching the UFX on it became the default playback device in Windows, which in turn made the Youtube video stop playback (via Firefox). Only once I manually clicked pause -> playback the video would playback again and then send audio via the UFX.

Now I can switch the UFX on and off repeatedly and playback always switches seamlessly between X-Fi (headphones) and UFX (speakers).

After pschelbert's problem has been resolved I cleaned up this thread from obsolete posts to make it readable again. We are now on version 1.162, release is getting close!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And here is our release candidate, version 1.162. Please give it a try.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1162.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

44 (edited by net147 2018-06-24 12:51:58)

I tested 1.162 with RME Babyface Pro on Windows 10 Version 1803 64-bit. If you set the speaker configuration to Mono, you will hear crackling in the right audio channel when playing audio using the Test button in the Speaker Setup dialog or playing music from foobar2000. I actually got an IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen of death in the RME driver after a few minutes of playing music...

LOL - that was quick! Thanks a lot. So Mono is not only useless, but really bad wink

Another thing that we have to check is that Stereo sound stumbles at the start when the buffer size is higher than 256 (very easy audible at 2048). Sigh, another round of fixing/improving...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And here comes the next release candidate, trippling over the plank, hopefully no sharks waiting...

Welcome 1.164:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1164.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

47 (edited by orangelynx 2018-06-27 20:58:25)

Hi!

I recently did a clean install on my Desktop and as a byproduct, updated the drivers to 1.114. As of lately, I don't have much time to work on music, but I use my Babyface Pro also for Windows sound so I quickly ran into the mentioned issues with 1803. I'm glad to see that a fix is already WIP and I gave the 1.164 driver a try. Haven't come across any issues for now, looks as good to me as before 1803/1.114 smile

I'll keep you posted if I notice anything crackling wise

PS: Oh yea.. also since the Desktop PC upgrade, I now sometimes have the issue that the Babyface pro crashes when I use my electrical window blinds (the switch is located relatively close to the PC / Babyface / USB cable). I suppose that the sudden current disrupts the USB connection or Babyface / Motherboard USB hardware and causes a desync. Before it was more "robust". Pluging it out and in again fixes the issue, but it is getting more and more annoying, so I would really love a "restart device" button in the fireface usb settings (or on the device).

I don't think that the driver has handled that better before,. I think your switch is getting old and generates a more strong spark than before. You should move the switch, or get it replaced with a new one with better contacts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello!

I am a fresh Babyface Pro owner, totally loving the device, however looks like I bought it in a wrong period of time because as soon as I get it I could experience all the issues mentioned above sad

Windows 10 1803 here:

Default Audio Device: Built-in sound card (As recommended in Babyface Pro Manual)

My workaround to the aboce issues was following:
-2 WDM Devices in Babyface Pro driver
-Disabled 1+2 RME Speakers in Windows
-Using new audio routing feature (Windows 10 1803) I routed Google Chrome and Spotify to 3+4 RME Output (Headphones)
-Using TotalMix FX I routed above software output to 1+2 and 3+4

Above setup was working quite stable, I havent seen any issues:
-I was playing MIDI piano using ASIO driver sending output to 1+2 RME Software output
-I was playing guitar using Guitar rig on ASIO driver sending out to 1+2 RME Software output
-I was listening to music/podcasts on Google Chrome/Spotify - WDM on 3+4 Output

I had no problems with any of above, maybe a few errors (errors counter in the RME driver pop-up) while on very low buffersize 48 samples/64 samples

Today, seeing the update to the driver I updated it on my computer(I dont really have time to do tests on previous versions and I was waiting for final realease). I set WDM Devices to 1 in RME Driver settings, Windows Default Audio Device to my built-in laptop soundcard, and I have routed Spotify/Google Chrome to 1+2 RME Speakers, software output.

The error counter went a bit crazy even with buffer size around 512 samples, I heard loads of glitches especially while on Google Chrome. The overall stability was much much worse, so I rolled back to old driver and my old workaround and its working fine

Any ideas?

What driver did you use before, which version did you update to, and what 'issues mentioned above' are you referring to?

The error counter going up means you have serious USB problems, nothing the driver will fix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME