1 (edited by conradnash 2018-05-05 09:46:40)

Topic: Balanced connection cable question

Hi,

I currently have an HDSP 9632 with an AO4S expansion board. I use the six channels to drive a 5.1 home theatre system.
I just upgraded my amplifier to one with balanced connections and I'd like to make use of them (I'm getting buzzing when connecting using unbalanced connections).

Note: I've confirmed it's not ground loop hum. I have isolators and running the single ended connections through them makes no difference.

I've seen lots of cables with TRS to XLR connections: patch leads, mic leads, mono leads, jack leads, and stereo leads. Some say balanced and some don't. I assume I need a stereo TRS connector but in a balanced configuration the same signal is sent through the left/right portions of the connector?

The amp manual states that:

Pin 1: Signal ground
Pin 2: Signal + (non-inverting)
Pin 3: Signal – (inverting)
Connector ground lug: chassis ground
These pin assignments are consistent with the standard adopted by the
Audio Engineering Society (AES14-1992).

My question is, will any cable labelled as 1/4 or TRS work, as long as it's stereo?

I'm looking at these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Male-XLR- … 2429723341

(that second one says mono, but it's a stereo TRS, I guess they say mono as it's balanced so designed to carry a single channel of audio?)

I realise I'll need the XLR breakout cable for the 9632 and that'll need just XLR to XLR cables, but I'm trying this out to see if solves my issue first before I buy the breakout cable.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Conrad

Re: Balanced connection cable question

Yes, brainless sellers as so often on these platforms. Welcome to the lottery! What is wrong?

a) the picture
b) text mono
c) text TRS

You will know when you open the package...

Oh and yes, TRS and the pic would be the cable that you need.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Balanced connection cable question

That's great, thanks.

I guess it's the difference between a connectors capability and the cable purpose. A TRS connector can be mono or stereo, it depends on what signals you pass through it.

I'll try that one and, if it works, I'll buy more.

Thanks again