Topic: Using a Fface UCX and Fface 800 at the same computer, is It Possible?

Hi RME Forum,

I´m looking for a way to expand my Fireface UCX.
And in the used market right now, there is a lot of people selling their Fireface 800.

1) Do you think that would be possible to use both interfaces on the same computer, without not so much problems?

2) Is it possible to use the same TotalMix to control both of them?

3) Could I connect both using firewire 800, or one using a USB port and another one using firewire?

4) It would be possible to daisy chaining the interfaces, using the firewire port 400 (UCX) with the firewire port 800, using the right adpaters?

5) Do you think that the Fireface 800, will be dead soon, I mean no more updates for the new OS systems?

Thank you in advance for helping me to understand better, if this could be a way to expand my system here.

All the best,

Vinicius

2 (edited by ramses 2018-05-11 18:21:42)

Re: Using a Fface UCX and Fface 800 at the same computer, is It Possible?

Optimum solution: sell ucx and get an ufx ii and later on top ARC USB.

A DAW can only have one ASIO driver actice at a time. As Fw and USB are different ASIO driver  you can only connect UCX and FF800 by using the Firewire driver which would support both devices. I wouldn't chain the devices but instead of this use 2 different FW  ports on the PC preferably where each port has a dedicated FW chip.

If I remember right then FW is not so well supported anymore under Win 10, weren't there some user reports here on forum telling this ?!

And as Firewire doesnt have that big importance anymore in the industry I would expand based on am USB based solution, by this you have IMPO more sustainability in terms of purchase.

Additionally you get latest converter technology with the new UFX II. If you remember, RME said that the complete analog section has been enhanced on UFX II and UFX+ compared to the old flagship model UFX. Also Durec is enhanced with real time clock to allow for timestamps with Durec recordings. A list of whats new you can find here in my blog article about the UFX+ (which is basically the same device, but has additionally MADI support and because of the increased number of channels USB3 and thunderbolt): http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

I really think best is to sell all, you will still get a good price for the UCX as it has USB and Fireware and quick converter with low lateny (and FX chip).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, Ramses

I think now that it could be a great idea, to sell the ucx and upgrade to a new one with more inputs.

Thank you

VGiusti

Edited my post, maybe you like to read my blog article about the UFX+ / UFX II. URL provided therein.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2018-05-11 18:37:19)

Additional advantages of having only one device:

- TM FX: any to any routing works only inside of each devices.

- you need to clock sync both devices ie by using digital channels and always ensure that both use the same ASIO buffersize (not difficult, but needs to be taken care of)

If you require much more ports in the future then go MADI with UFX+ and expand ie with the very flexible Octamic XTC.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

Up to 8 units can be added via MADI, automatic delay compensation is provided. And the XTC integrates fully into TM FX as so called AUX device so that any to any routing works. Distance between each device may be huge, one optical cable (multimode) up to 2km.

With a properly working Firewire port you can easily chain three RME devices. While you can control all of them via Totalmix, you either have to switch between devices or open a dedicated window for each.

This is also great news for me. Thanks

Also don't forget to sync them (WordClock or ADAT).