1 (edited by Gibson17 2018-05-17 18:44:04)

Topic: Audio interface vs Converter? UFXII or ADI8 MKIII?

Hi Mathias.C

Just wondering if you could give some highlights on the following setup:

Considering the following scenario:
1-dont need preamps (will use 500 series)
2-Best sound AD/DA (including Latency)
3-Will record 1 person at a time/only 2 headphones (1 for recording & 1 for monitoring)
4-Will consider connect to summing box in future

Which choice would be better:
1-RME digiface USB + ADI8MKIII (considering is the best AD/DA in 1U rack 8 channels after ADI8QS) + arc USB
2-RME UFXII + arc USB

Could you please confirm they are all compatible and Totalmix does support all functions trough Arc USB?

First choice:
I am assuming digiface USB can route all ins/outs from ADI8MKIII trough Totalmix and everything controlled by arc USB Regarding headphones connection would be one connected to TRS OUTS of the converter for the player and DIGIFACE USB headphones out for monitoring whats being recorded.

Second choice:
UFXII  - have newer AD/DA so will it sound better?.....how about Latency when recording?

I notice dynamic range is higher on the ADI8 MKIII but UFXII AD/DA are newer.

Thks any suggestions for a similar setup are welcome.

Nino

Re: Audio interface vs Converter? UFXII or ADI8 MKIII?

About converter differences - I have no idea. I'm pretty shure that you won't recognize any difference in this two options in real life.

However I just want to give you a hint because of my experiences:

With UFXII you have the option to use the interface without a computer in standalone mode. I find this pretty handy... Also you can record to USB drive.

If you don't need this feature I would say a digiface USB makes more sense since you are more flexible with it and can attach more converters when you need in future.

Ans yes, totalmix and everything works like you want it.

3 (edited by ramses 2018-05-17 19:17:51)

On top of this you can store all settings digitally in TotalMix and can make use of Autoset.
Also .. if you get the UFX II and need to expand i.e. with an Octamic XTC, then you can configure
the XTC as so called AUX device which means
- you can remote control the XTC in this TM instance
- the XTCs additional channels are part of the routing matrix in terms of any to any routing
- you can save also the settings of the XTC digitally in snapshots

Shall you take the UFX+, then you can do this even via MADI and by adding up to 8 additional XTCs as AUX device with automatic latency corrections. Enables for fiber optic cables (multimode) up to 2km between each devices which will be chained one after the other to build up a ring.

In terms of RME ASIO driver RTTs, pls refer to my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

UFX+ and additional XTC's: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

UFX+ needs USB3 though (or thunderbolt), but its compatible with USB2, but then only 30 I/O channels are useable (all but the 64 MADI channels).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

yeah I know... I wont probably notice any difference in real world ....but that's the same thing on preamps ......one track u wont notice .....together combined makes a huge difference....

Just trying to get the best chain to fit my scenario since prices its almost around the same...last audio interface never used those pres....

Thanks both for helping out.