Topic: USB or Optical Output for recording?

i try to choose between USB-recording to the laptop and optical transpher from RME Pro to the Sony PCM-D100
is it equal modes in terms jitter, etc?

Re: USB or Optical Output for recording?

i'm use bit-compare foobar's utilite. Just get no differ in decoded tracks

3 (edited by ramses 2018-06-03 06:48:15)

I would do it simple and straightforward. Record directly with the ADI-2 Pro. The A/D conversion happens in best quality on the ADI-2 Pro and once the data is digital, then its a simple and reliable data transfer via USB by using the MADIface ASIO driver to the disk of your computer. You can use i.e. Global Record for that.

BTW, there is no product named "RME Pro", I think you mean the RME ADI-2 Pro.

If you have a SPDIF connection between the ADI-2 Pro and the Sony, then the Sony might get the precise clock signal from the ADI-2 Pro via SPDIF, but I do not know what happens there. Does data stay digital on the device or is it converted by the Sony to WAV, so that a D/A conversion happens on the Sony ?

My advice, ADI-2 Pro is a studio product from RME, I would trust RME HW and its drivers more.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by ramses 2018-06-03 07:21:32)

dir wrote:

i'm use bit-compare foobar's utilite. Just get no differ in decoded tracks

If you think you validated properly, that the final material does not differ, no matter which of the 2 options you choose,
then simply take what you prefer. I would take the method which is easiest to be used / reproduced and has the least number of preconditions that need to be met for proper operation / results.

For me this would be to use the ADI-2 Pro directly and to record with a RME ASIO driver directly to the computers disk.
Either by using a DAW program or by using Global Record (one of the tools of RME Digicheck software suite).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by dir 2018-06-03 10:36:12)

i choose sony, because it looks like more "silent" way in the room where I make transfere from vinyl to digital
sony recorder always sync to samplerate from other digital source

6 (edited by ramses 2018-06-03 10:44:28)

Ok, if your main requirement is "silent" recording with the Sony and if you found out that there is no difference in recordings...
Then I do not understand your questions. All seems clear from your side.

In terms of noise, would it help you to get a Digiface USB on top of your solution.

Record with a "silent" ADI-2 Pro, connect it via 15-20m TOSLINK cable to Digiface USB in another room, which is connected to your PC in another room .. ?!

Alternatively do it like me.

ADI-2 DAC in front of a HiFi and then ADI-2 Pro connected to PC either directly or via other RME recording interface near the PC. TOSLINK cable in between. If you look at the picture, PC workplace could be in another room. 15-20m should be doable with a good TOSLINK cable.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2251-03-ADI-2-DAC-Overview-Room-Cabling-v2-jpg

its no questions now))
i was ask first, then it have no answers from staff, so i decide to make some experiments