1 (edited by AdamG 2018-06-05 21:09:23)

Topic: ADI-2 questions (Remote, MQA, any use with UFX, latency)

Hi all, I have a few questions about the ADI-2 DAC:

1. Does anyone know if the remote uses discrete on and off IR codes or is the off done by command repeat of on? I am thinking about installation integration with logitech harmony or similar.

2. Is MQA firmware unfolds (48->96, 96 -> 192 etc) support a future possibility, even as a paid upgrade?

3. I have an RME-UFX (1st gen) that I use on my studio computers and it occurs that there may be scenarios when I may wish to connect the UFX to the same PC or mac as an ADI-2 DAC. I understand they use different driver foundations but what happens when they are both installed and connected? I assume a DAW (ASIO or Apple CA) would just see them as completely separate devices with no way to sync them beyond feeding an optical connection between them and presumably similar for the ADI-2 Pro FS?

4. Previous RME audio interfaces I have had have had outstanding low latency over ASIO and Core Audio - does this retain that? (assuming using ASIO/Core audio with RME drivers rather than class compliant)

I am mostly looking at the ADI-2 DAC as a high end hifi audio interface (hence MQA and remote Qs), however it seems rather well suited for mixing and mastering work and client auditioning where I only need a high quality output which at time may be preferable to being 'tethered' to my studio racks smile

Re: ADI-2 questions (Remote, MQA, any use with UFX, latency)

1. https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26981

2. Sorry, no.

3. The DAC can not be synced other than also listening to the digital input, so it makes no sense in a multi-unit setup, neither Windows nor Mac. The Pro can be synced, then used as Aggregated Device with anything else on the Mac. Under Windows ASIO will not allow to use it with the UFX.

4. ASIO - yes, CoreAudio no. Pro and DAC have no RME drivers on the Mac, and Apple's own Class Compliant drivers are not what you call 'outstanding low latency'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for your responses.

No plans for osx drivers? It a big part of why I have had RME products for year - great low latency drivers, though to be fair for mastering is not an issue but can be for mixing if I go a bit improv with automations smile

Please on the next hardware iteration if there is one - do strongly consider adding discrete on/off codes. For some us of considering use in the other world (ie hifi instead of studio) it can sort of kill system integration stone dead for some folks.

4 (edited by AleksandrT 2018-06-07 17:09:47)

Hello,

I have almost the same questions about latency.

1)Does playback latency of ADI-2 DAC differs from ADI-2 PRO?
2)Are Linux Class Complient drivers good enough to have sub 7-8 ms playback latency?

And third question is not relevant to the latency but I dont want to create a topic for it:

Is there any difference in PRO and DAC versions in terms of DA conversion (i.e. transparency, etc). Or DAC is just the same as the PRO version (but without unneeded for my needs inputs)

AleksandrT wrote:

Is there any difference in PRO and DAC versions in terms of DA conversion (i.e. transparency, etc). Or DAC is just the same as the PRO version (but without unneeded for my needs inputs)

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 89#p131689

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13