Topic: RME UFX Noise on all analog inputs and outputs

Hello,
Suddenly my UFX has developed noise on all analog inputs and outputs. Digital is fine. It goes away for around half an hour and then comes back. What do you think is wrong?

Re: RME UFX Noise on all analog inputs and outputs

I saw somewhere on the forums a similar complain, which was due to a minor hardware connectivity issue. People said it's relatively easy to fix yourself (if you have experience and the tools, of course, otherwise it might be worth to visit a repair center).

I also have some noise on all channels in 192Khz mode but I ignore that since on 41/48/96 everything is perfect.

Also, recently I suddenly began to have a noise on any guitar input but that is not related to RME, it only appears when I put guitar nearby PC. The inputs themselves are fine. You might want to experiment with your hardware relative positions.

sarmad wrote:

Hello,
Suddenly my UFX has developed noise on all analog inputs and outputs. Digital is fine. It goes away for around half an hour and then comes back. What do you think is wrong?

Most probably the power supply. Please check with your dealer or local distributor for repair options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

alex128 wrote:

I also have some noise on all channels in 192Khz mode but I ignore that since on 41/48/96 everything is perfect.

Manual chapter 38.7, Noise level in DS / QS Mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, MC.

Yes, I confirm, with DigiCheck I observe the same numbers like in the manual for all modes: 41/96/192.

UFX+ level meters then are a bit confusing for beginners like me. Why don't they show audio bandpass levels instead of the full range? What is the point to count / display inaudible frequencies?

alex128 wrote:

What is the point to count / display inaudible frequencies?

I'm pretty convinced if RME followed that road, a lot of other people would complain about hiding data..

If you don't need these frequencies, why are you sampling them in the first place?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

If you don't need these frequencies, why are you sampling them in the first place?

I believe you misunderstood me, and I do not use 192Khz.

RME manual referred by MC says that the noise displayed in level meters is for the whole range while the effective (audible) noise is only in 20..20Khz range. In other words you might get an extreme noise in inaudible frequencies - without affecting anyone - and yet such noise would be visible in level meters. Being a bit disturbing smile

people would complain about hiding data

May be that explains it.

Inaudible noise still affects plugins, metering etc. in the DAW...

I sometimes notice HF noise I can't hear, because my dog will start to bark. That's when I look at the spectral analyzer...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...