Topic: UFX II - have to powercycle interface constantly

Win 1803 x64 (was the same with 1709)
driver version: 0.9654

Hi,
I have an UFX II on a dedicated fresco logic card port and after every standby and every reboot of the PC I have to powercycle the interface, otherwise the "host" LED is off and the interface is not recognized by the PC.
Any ideas what to do?
Thanks and best regards,
Markus

Re: UFX II - have to powercycle interface constantly

friendly bump :-)

This may be some power management, did you set the OS power plan for "High Performance"? You can also check BIOS for power related settings.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Didn't Win10 have to struggle with the issue not to perform a full power-off of the computer
causing some hw not to be power-cycled properly ?

https://www.winhelp.co/knowledge-base/f … dows-10-2/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks @Jeff, but I think it's quite obviously power management related, though not the system, but the driver ;-)
In all seriousness, imho High performance mode does not influence how a system reboots and/or handles S3 (it probably won't allow S3).
@Ramses: fast-startup (that's whats it's called) is disabled on my system, you can query by "powercfg /availablesleepstates"

For comparisons/troubleshootings sake: my babyface (that I now only use with my laptop, not with the main PC anymore), SOMETIMES had similar issues after S3, though NEVER after reboots

Maybe rather an issue of the Fresco board then? Is S3 allowed in your UEFI/BIOS (automatically turned off if wake from sleep via PCIe et al is enabled).

XHCI/EHCI handoff settings in BIOS might make a difference, albeit I do not know if this is true for addin cards like the Fresco.

7 (edited by markus.schloesser 2018-06-24 22:41:03)

S3 is allowed and works absolutely fine otherwise.
When PC resumes from S3 device management shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
The USB root hub on the fresco chip to which the UFX II is connected had "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" enabled, BUT disabling doesn't make a difference.
Also, when the PC wakes up the UFX II "host" led flashes a couple of times.

Are there any debugging steps I could help with? Any special logging that can be enabled?
Thanks!
Markus

Same problem here on both a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 PC.

if I might bump this :-)
I really know my way around computers, so any way I can assist in fixing this?

Please update to the latest drivers and firmware to confirm the issue still exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

confirmed, issues still exist

Try to disable S3 in BIOS and report back.

Details of the intermediate sleep states can vary depending on how the manufacturer has designed the machine. For example, on some machines certain chips on the motherboard might lose power at S3, while on others such chips retain power until S4.

how does that relate to having no connection to the interface after a reboot? While windows is booting up the UFX II shows a connection for a short while, but then obviously looses it again. Can I query what's happening with the driver during boot-up somewhere?

I am guessing this is still a cable or usb chipse or connectort issue. I have a firewire interface that does the exact same thing (connect and then disconnect) with a 3m cable and not with a 1.5m cable. After boot it remains in working order. I am not saying it is the cable, but just that the connection is broken during boot on a week spot, because of the booting process, which is stressfull for the computer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I've upgraded firmware and drivers, and the issue still exists here too.

Firmware versions: USB 17, DSP 11, CC 7. Driver version 0.9673.

I have a new UFX II which arrived today, and have same issue. I have to cycle power after rebooting the computer or the interface is not recognised, I've updated the firmware and driver but still no joy.

I'm still in the period where I can return the interface, so I'm keen to see if there is a resolution pretty quickly.

We are not aware of any such problem, and can not reproduce it on our systems. This must be a very specific problem of your computer/setup that we can not fix without being able to examine it, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, so should I contact support to try to resolve this or return the unit? If support would help, what information do I need to provide? Are there any options I should look to try to resolve it?

Looks like I get an error in the Windows System event log from Source usbaudio2 "A USB descriptor reported by device \Device\00000046 is not compliant with the specification, or is not supported by the driver." every time I boot. Could this be an indicator of the issue?

This error has only started since installing the UFXII.

I've tried removing all other USB devices, the UFXII is plugged in with the RME supplied cable directly to the computer. I am using the ARC remote. I've tried toggling options in the power management plan.

Any ideas on what other things I can try?

MC wrote:

We are not aware of any such problem, and can not reproduce it on our systems. This must be a very specific problem of your computer/setup that we can not fix without being able to examine it, sorry.

That's interesting. I've just tried it with my MacBook Pro, and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour (although the host light remains on on the mac, on the PC it comes on then goes off during the boot sequence)

Two totally independent computers with different OS's and the interface behaves the same.

It's weekend. Let us check this on Monday.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I still also have the exact same problem and checked, same error message (A USB descriptor reported by device \Device\00000049 is not compliant with the specification, or is not supported by the driver.)
Also ARC.
So there's now 3 people on this thread with issues manifesting exactly the same on a couple of different computers. I would really like some clear steps on how to proceed, because right now I feel mainly ignored with those issues, and while it's not a terrible bug, it's still annoying.
I have offered multiple times to assist in debugging, and of course this offer still stands, but it needs to be a little more relevant to the case ;-)

So please, let me know what you need :-)

Just to follow up on this, I've now installed the drivers on a Win 7 Pro SP3 Dell Laptop and had exactly the same issue, although the Host light stays on (as it does with the Mac).

We think we found the reason behind this effect: if the UFX II is set to Class Compliant mode it will still first try to boot into normal USB mode. With an existing and valid USB connection that happens so quickly that CC mode does not become active anymore. But at the next opportunity, like a computer restart or wake up from sleep mode, CC mode finally becomes active.

Oscar and BK: please check that Class Compliant Mode is set to ON, and if so change it to OFF in the unit's display (Setup/REV - Hardware & Diagnosis).

Also please tell us if you have set it that way yourself. The units come from factory with CC Mode OFF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I bought it from edel tone shop, as "Ausstellungsstück" but new. Never changed to cc mode myself, don't own ios devices and have an additional babyface. So it probably wasn't properly factory reset before being sold.
But glad to hear

I'm sorry, I returned my unit so I can't test this. My unit was sealed from the factory and I did not change anything on the front panel, so I assume mine was set with CC mode off.

What a shame :-(

Oscar wrote:

Source usbaudio2 "A USB descriptor reported by device \Device\00000046 is not compliant with the specification, or is not supported by the driver."

That was the Windows own Class Compliant audio driver complaining, so your unit was definitely in CC mode. And thanks for the feedback, it really seems as if the factory did not send out units in the intended state.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So will this definitely solve the issue? There was a lot I liked about the unit.

Yes. And we will further improve that behaviour by a firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there a possiblity to indicate CC mode more easily in the display ?

Is there a possibility that the Windows ASIO driver detects (wrong) CC mode, deactivates CC mode and issues a reboot of the device automatically?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Matthias...I can confirm this to be the case with the unit that was shipped to me a few months ago (the CC mode default).  The behavior that Oscar reported was the same here.  It took me a while to figure out what was happening, and once resolved, there were no more boot issues.

I am going to post a different in another thread.  I have been working through a nightmare problem with Jeff over several weeks and phone consults, regarding FiFo error/buffer dump behaviors.  I will describe the situation in detail there.  Another user here had a similar situation (so far as I can see it is rare), and I think I may have chased down some patterns that could be of help in determining if there is an obscure issue with either my system or the driver.

MC: your suggestion fixed the problem for me. I hadn't turned it on, but class compliant mode was turned on. I turned it off, and the problem is resolved.

Thank you for the help!

I re-bought the UFXII and I confirm turning off CC mode fixed the issue.

Oscar, did you get a new unit or the same one? And it came again with CC set to ON?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, it was exactly the same unit I bought again (I know as it had a little mark on the protective cellphone on the display). One thing I should add is that I did  flash the firmware when I had it the first time, but I'm not sure if it had the issue before flashing the firmware, as I did it pretty much straight away.

Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We just bought a new UFX II (October 2018) and confirm the interface over USB loses connection to Windows 10 PC every time it goes to sleep.

Same thing has been happening to our UCX box since 2015 over Firewire. This used to happen about once a month but now maybe every other time the computer sleeps it won't reconnect. Same class compliant issue?

Our 802 over firewire is rock-solid, even to the same PC.

Why didn't you check UFX II for the solution mentioned above?

The UCX has no such problem, this looks more like a FW related issue, or insufficient power. Check the UCX' power supply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

UFX II is not in class-compliant mode and still losing host connection when computer attached over USB sleeps. Immediately resumes connection when UFX II is power cycled. Same result with 2 different Windows 10 computers. USB Selective Suspend is Disabled in Power Management and USB Hub has "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" Unchecked through Device Manager.

May be unrelated, but the front panel of this brand-new UFX II also has an unresponsive Volume rotary and Mic/Gain button so will be returning this unit.