1 (edited by centsear 2018-06-21 11:06:39)

Topic: Regarding the Expander/Gate feature

I am about to purchase a Babyface Pro. That said, I was wondering how close the Expander/Gate feature that TotalMix FX has compared to the DBX 286s.

I need this for several reasons:

1.) Atleast half the time I will be using it in VOIP calls through Skype, Discord, Teamspeak, Mumble, etc... I need to avoid as much miscommunication as possible due to noisy neighbors till 3am. I don't want to get into any more details about this, but long-story-short: I've done everything I can and they just can't keep it down, let alone shut up.
2.) In my contract, the landlord has forbidden me from doing anything to the walls. I cannot really treat my room.
3.) I've done the math. Its financially better for me to buy a Babyface Pro (and if push comes to shove, a DBX 286s despite that I don't necessarily have the space to keep it inside the space on where the studio portion of my apartment is) than move (since I've accounted for other things).

As for the mic I'm using, its an SM7B, but for some reason it still picks up my neighbors. I've also tried VST plugins, software, etc... and it just makes it worse.

Re: Regarding the Expander/Gate feature

take care, the babyface pro only supports EQ in totalMix FX ! No dynamics!

:-(

frabo wrote:

take care, the babyface pro only supports EQ in totalMix FX ! No dynamics!

:-(

So, which RME interface supports something like Expander/Gate?

I have a madiface pro and I miss the dynamics as well.
You have to have a UCX, check out the Totalmix 1.5 manual:

"3.6 Dynamics

A click on D opens the Dynamics panel with Compressor, Expander and Auto Level. They are available in all input and output channels, and affects all routings of the respective channel"