Topic: External Clocking Help

First of all, my HDSPe AES card has been working very well for nearly a year now. Love it.

I've recently made some changes to my setup and need some help making sure everything is configured as well as possible.

My setup is this:
RME AES HDSPe card which feeds my Avocet via AES for monitoring what I am working on.

The AES card also feeds my Crane Song HEDD Quantum via AES in and out for going to and from my analog mastering equipment, and also feeds my Prism Lyra 2 via AES in and out as another great option for going to and from my analog mastering equipment. My mastering console and mastering DAW allow me to seamless choose between one or the other depending on how it sounds for the material.

I have decided to make the Quantum HEDD my master clock for a few reasons I won't go into here. It has 6 word clock outputs.

Right now I am going from the Word Clock out of the HEDD to the Word Clock in of the RME card.

I've set the HDSPe app to these settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fx4xl5uqb40v … p.png?dl=0

I also have the Word Clock out of the RME card connected to the Word Clock in of the HEDD incase I want to ever make the RME card be the master clock. Is there any harm in this?

Then I also have another word clock out of the HEDD Quantum to the Lyra 2 which is auto-terminated which I think is good.

The question is if I have to set the internal jumper of the RME card to be terminated or if there are any other things I can do to improve performance.

If anybody has some insight on things that can be improved for optimum performance and less jitter etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: External Clocking Help

Setting that jumper should make no difference, neither in function nor in jitter, but technically it is the correct way. I wonder why in the screenshot AES 5 is only LOCK and at 44.1 kHz?

All the rest is correct and should not cause any problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Jperkins 2018-06-26 04:38:18)

Re: External Clocking Help

MC wrote:

Setting that jumper should make no difference, neither in function nor in jitter, but technically it is the correct way. I wonder why in the screenshot AES 5 is only LOCK and at 44.1 kHz?

All the rest is correct and should not cause any problem.

Thanks for the info.

I just noticed that AES 5 was for some reason set to 44.1k and Locked while the rest are set to 96k which is correct but they say sync.

I couldn’t find anything in the manual about lock vs sync.

Any ideas?

FWIW, AES 5 is only for my metering loop and and not anything super critical in terms of final sound.