1 (edited by Jepacazul 2018-06-29 18:51:29)

Topic: New RME Madiface XT

Hi fellows,

I recently bought a New MADIface XT to be able to record a symphony Orchestra with a couple of Orion32+ converters as A/D D/A.
There is a few issues, first after 3-5 minutes the recording completely stops but playback will continue to run. 2nd The recording goes well for 40 minutes but next recording get glitchy sounds, sounds like some sort of digital feedback with a little echo, sometimes after 4 minutes sometimes after 15 minutes. The digital sound do not get recorded. If i re-select the sf or core audio or something else like shut Logic X down and restart the problem goes away for some time. The digital sound is only applied on the incoming sound. If I run the Orion32 via USB no problem at all running 4 days of recording more or less nonstop, but at the expense of 32 channels less.

Just want you guys to go through the settings because I have tried everything I could.

This is what I have done and in which order:
Disconnected the Orion32 (USB cable)
Increased buffer size
Muted/inactivated all other driver related stuff on the mac, internal microphone etc. etc.
RME Master (internal sync) Via World clock, Orion32+ Syncing Worldclock input.
RME Master (internal sync) Orion32+ Syncing MADI input.
Downloaded the newst driver for both Orion and RME.
Tried MADI 96k Framerate
Firmware update the Madiface
Changed the USB port
Reinstalled mac OS
changed the USB cable
Changed the Fiber cable (both OM4) 1 meter patch cable.
Cleaned the patch cable and the SC chassi connectors with fiber pen.

Here is a screenshot on my setup, please tell me where I go wrong:
https://ibb.co/kAqP2J

Re: New RME Madiface XT

Your screenshot shows 32 samples buffer size. A more realistic entry would be 1024, I personally would use 8192 to rule out problems from that side.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply, as stated above I have tried to increase buffer size. I just lower it when testing so I dont have to wait 8-12minutes. I always have the highest buffersize when recording, Logic X gives you 1024 samples.

Other than that is it something I can try / change, everything looks good ?

Which Mac OS? Which Mac?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
Imac Late 2009 27" 2,66Ghz Intel i5.

So you run the MADIface XT via USB 2?

This model has 4 USB 2 ports. You should try all 4, and check via System Report if one of these is separated, or all 4 run on the same hub, or even worse together with internal USB devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I already tried changing ports, even installed the madiface on the different busses with no success, I am giving up on this computer, I bought a 2nd hand 2013 Imac today with Usb3, I get back here in a few hours and hopefully tell the good news smile

Sorry for the delayed response, with a new Imac the system is working perfectly! I have a question I hope someone can answer.

Is there a way to tell the driver to ignore unused madistreams or even better ignore unwanted channels within one madi stream ?
Its kind of frustrating scrolling to input channel 194 in my DAW when I only use up to the first 32 channels of inputs then a gap to channel 65 where my next interface starts. Any Ideas ?