Topic: Digiface AVB

The new USB3 interfaces are around the corner and will feature AVB and DANTE and it's nothing more than awesome as I strongly believe Audio Over IP is the future of Audio.

I'm more interested in the AVB interface and I have some questions if you may answer please.

First, availability ?

256 channels (@192kHz?) - 128 I/O - 16 in/16out streams and 32 max channels per stream.

Is it possible to configure the number of streams we want to allocate, for example, 8in/24out ? I think it would be a great option.

What is max bit depth supported ? Turned in another way, I would like to know if the interface could support 32 bits floating point ? I believe it's included in the AVB standard.

Many thanks in advance for your answer, regards,
Stéphane.

Re: Digiface AVB

s.blanchardon wrote:

First, availability ?

I have no exact date, but around August is what I heard last.

s.blanchardon wrote:

256 channels (@192kHz?) - 128 I/O - 16 in/16out streams and 32 max channels per stream.

Is it possible to configure the number of streams we want to allocate, for example, 8in/24out ? I think it would be a great option.

Fully configurable.

s.blanchardon wrote:

What is max bit depth supported ? Turned in another way, I would like to know if the interface could support 32 bits floating point ? I believe it's included in the AVB standard

We support the same bit resolution as all the other major companies, that was either 24 or 32 bit (have to check). 32 FP is part of the newer Milan standard and requires some hard work in the firmware to be added.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-07-03 10:53:14)

MC wrote:
s.blanchardon wrote:

First, availability ?

I have no exact date, but around August is what I heard last.

s.blanchardon wrote:

Fully configurable.

s.blanchardon wrote:

What is max bit depth supported ? Turned in another way, I would like to know if the interface could support 32 bits floating point ? I believe it's included in the AVB standard

We support the same bit resolution as all the other major companies, that was either 24 or 32 bit (have to check). 32 FP is part of the newer Milan standard and requires some hard work in the firmware to be added.

Hello Matthias,

Thank you for your answer, that's some awesome news indeed !

I hope to see the interface in real at this year's IBC in Amsterdam.

Fully configurable I/O and streams is the best.

32 FP would be icing on the cake but I will be patient about it if you ever think of planning it wink

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Hello Matthias, how are you doing ?

If I may ask a couple of other questions please...

First, a very stupid one but I had to ask, is it possible to have the AVB and the DANTE interfaces to work at the same time ? On the same computer that is  wink

I saw MILAN format, it's basically AVB 2.0 with AVTP/IEEE1722 stream protocol that support 32 bit fixed point and is supposed to be more easy to implement than AM824. Would be nice if you could implement it indeed !

5 (edited by ramses 2018-07-06 12:39:43)

From the RME driver download page you can already see that both interfaces use the same ASIO driver:

UFX+/UFX II, MADIface XT/Pro/USB, OctaMic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/AE/FS/DAC, Digiface USB/Dante: driver_madiface_win_09673.zip

From this you can deduce that the DAW can access both interfaces at the same time (as a DAW can work only with one ASIO driver at a time).

Since both interfaces offer synchonization via Word Clock, you can clock synchronize the interfaces, which is very important in such a multi-interface setup.

Additionally you need to take care, that both interfaces use the same ASIO buffersize, so that you do not get an offset by audio transmissions which use unequal buffer size (different amount of data being send in a certain time interval).

In terms of TotalMix FX you simply open a new instance, so that you have one TotalMix FX window for the one and another TM FX window for the other interface.

Of course you have restrictions, that you can not route audio across the two TotalMix instances.

In the RME driver settings dialog you can select for which of the 2 interfaces you need to produce WDM drivers, so that also Windows can make use this solution for recording or playing back audio (to be able to have a default windows sound device).

I am also using 2 UFX+ and one ADI-2 Pro with this one MADIface driver and my DAW (Cubase 9.5 Pro) has direct access to all 3 interfaces.

So from my perspective, even if my name is not Matthias, I would say, yes this is possible ;-)

Lets see whether my "crystal ball" worked properly wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-07-06 22:40:30)

Hello Ramses, thanks for your message.

Indeed, I also saw that in the past few days, driver list was updated with new the DANTE and AVB interfaces.

I bet you're right, interfaces can be used at the same time by one software with one ASIO driver but need two different instances of Totalmix FX and cannot route between the two.

It would be great if you slightly misread your crystal ball but I think the only solution for the moment to cross-convert between the two protocols would be to use the AVBx3 or x7 from Auvitran which permit this amazing feat (and much more).

Maybe it would still be possible with some virtual cable from VB Audio though ? But it looks like it's only working if it's two different softwares together on the same computer.

7 (edited by ramses 2018-07-07 07:41:51)

Routing "the rest" in the DAW is not an option ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Routing "the rest" in the DAW is not an option ?

Now I feel ashamed that I didn't even thought of that possibility. smile

9 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-07-07 11:37:36)

Another think I thought of, how many AVB or DANTE interfaces one can use before saturating the USB 3 Bus ?

Card with Renesas chip is still the best in 2018 ?

10 (edited by ramses 2018-07-07 15:16:12)

Take the one from my signature, 4x full FL1100 chipset wink
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html
Works already well with 2 x UFX+ and 1 x ADI-2 Pro.

For Win7 working drivers are delivered by them, Win10 already supports this card (didnt check whether also with MSIs, see below, otherwise I would think that drivers for Win10 are also available.

If, then this card will do. Esp as the drivers are optimised for message signalled interrupts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_S … Interrupts

Funny, I was looking at this card today !

I'm sure it works very well for you but I stumbled upon this review and speed with external drives seem to be slower than other ones.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7865/ … index.html

Don't know how it will affect an audio card though.

Forget all the rest, only this counts:

> this device does excel with multiple drives with really no loss in performance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-07-14 14:08:10)

I understand what's matter is speed on each port, hence a chipset per port.

I also found this card, more appealing to me because of external 5V via Molex plug and also with 4 Renesas chipset.

http://www.ioi.com.tw/products/proddeta … ID=1060136

Expensive as it's around 200€ at Reichelt under brand Delock :

https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr/contr-le … stct=pos_6

Also, very interesting is the locking USB3 ports, I wish you would do this on the RME interfaces.

That card is not only more expensive - a quick web search revealed nothing convincing about it and the used Renesas chipset. I would buy the Sonnet card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias,

Well, now let's wait impatiently until the release of the new interfaces ! smile

The Digiface AVB supports upto 256 Channels, that means in detail:
Over USB 3:
128 In / 128 Out @48kHz
64 In / 64 Out @96kHz
32 In / 32 Out @192kHz
Over USB 2:
64 In / 64 Out @48kHz
32 In / 32 Out @96kHz
16 In / 16 Out @192kHz
Within TMFX:
128 In / 128 Out @48khz
128 In / 128 Out @96kHz
60 In  / 60 Out @192kHz
AVB:
1-16 Streams with 1-32 Channels each

uwekirst wrote:

The Digiface AVB supports upto 256 Channels, that means in detail:
Over USB 3:
128 In / 128 Out @48kHz
64 In / 64 Out @96kHz
32 In / 32 Out @192kHz
Over USB 2:
64 In / 64 Out @48kHz
32 In / 32 Out @96kHz
16 In / 16 Out @192kHz
Within TMFX:
128 In / 128 Out @48khz
128 In / 128 Out @96kHz
60 In  / 60 Out @192kHz
AVB:
1-16 Streams with 1-32 Channels each

Little bit of a bummer, I was expecting no change in channel count at 2x and 4xfs...

I think this is the case with all solutions as this is a big performance difference for such a device
whether to handle 128 sessions @48 or @192, factor 4.

19 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-07-30 16:33:30)

I know, still better than what can do a single MADI or AES card. I hope it's possible to use multiples of the same interface together. Dunno if a single instance of Totalmix FX can support it though.

I suppose it's like Uwe wrote :

"Within TMFX:
128 In / 128 Out @48khz
128 In / 128 Out @96kHz
60 In  / 60 Out @192kHz"

60 is probably a typo and is in fact 64. It could imply that we can use 2 AVB interface @192kHz with one Totalmix FX.

60 is not a typo. Resources are limited and unfortunately cause various restrictions. Also 192 kHz is rarely used in pro audio networks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias and all.

Any idea when the interfaces will be available ? It was supposed to be ready in August from one of your posts.

Thanks.

22 (edited by s.blanchardon 2018-11-16 18:25:40)

Hello everyone,

So, I got the Digiface AVB and I did installation and some testings with a Sonosax SX-AD8+ equipped with AVB option card and here are my first thoughts.

Installation was easy but it's funny to see that interface's name is Digiface but driver's name is Madiface.

Had to install Madiface USB unified drivers to have Totalmix FX.

Now, there is a problem with AD8+ : interfaces work together ONLY at 48Khz. Other sampling rates gives a nasty, distorted sound. I believe the problem is on the AD8+ side, they are investigating the problem and will ASAP get in touch with RME engineers. Please help them to resolve the matter, a lot of users are waiting full compatibility. Also, I noted that changing clocking from Master to Slave didn't made any difference, not even a "click" in the audio (monitored through headphone port on the interface) so I don't know what's happening on this aspect.

Other than that, the AVB controller works fine and is simple to use, interface connected without problems to the USB3 port on my laptop too so from what I experienced so far I cas say it's a very solid and well built product. Congratulations RME team !

Indeed many AVB devices support only 48 kHz, or at least 48 + 96 kHz, but not 44.1.

BTW, tomorrow you should be able to download a new driver and firmware from our website which adds support for Milan.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Indeed many AVB devices support only 48 kHz, or at least 48 + 96 kHz, but not 44.1.

BTW, tomorrow you should be able to download a new driver and firmware from our website which adds support for Milan.

Many thanks Matthias  !

In the case of the Sonosax SX-AD8+, it does only multiples of 48KHz but 96KHz and 192KHz were unusable.

What brings new support for Milan ?

Well, compatibility to Milan smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Well, compatibility to Milan smile

So just some underground compatibility not directly relevant to the users.

But does that mean compatibility with 32bits FP streams ?

No. AFAIK that is not part of Milan. AVB is typically 32 bit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Firmware 194 and Net Driver 0.9391 are now available for download.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Firmware 194 and Net Driver 0.9391 are now available for download.

Thank you !

30 (edited by mikkelhjorth.hansen 2018-11-20 21:39:50)

I've installed the Digiface AVB on windows 10, and it seems to be working fine.

But are there any plans for a driver for Mac?

We bought the interface to use it with an audioserver on mac (qlab) for 30+ channels playback together with some motu avb interfaces that we already have.

If it's just around the corner I'll wait for it, but otherwise I'll have to look for another solution.

Best

Mikkel

???
Digiface USB / AVB / Dante, Version 3.10. Kompatibel zu Mac OS 10.12 und höher.
driver_usb_mac_310.zip

Mac support is currently being worked on, but I can't predict a release date.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

???
Digiface USB / AVB / Dante, Version 3.10. Kompatibel zu Mac OS 10.12 und höher.
driver_usb_mac_310.zip

Fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

34 (edited by mikkelhjorth.hansen 2019-01-10 13:00:36)

Are there any news regarding AVB support with the new version 3.14 driver and mac? I've tried it, but it doesn't seem to be working with digiface AVB.

We are still working on that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The latest Update (TMFX 1.61 + Digiface AVB v206) supports now 64 instead of 60 Channels @192kHz