Topic: 4 ch playback

Hello,
I have a stereo plus stereo sub setup.
I use the output L R  jacks on the rear side, but when I try to connect the 3/4 channels with a stereo jack on the front the 1/2 stereo channels are muted.
Can anybody help?

Jørgen

Re: 4 ch playback

Manual page 26,  14.1.3 Device Mode, Mute Line.

IMHO you should use the rear outputs for both speaker systems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,
It works! - and what a DAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the one I have been looking for for some time after my TactAudio TCS stopped working some years ago.
But please tell me what you mean using rear outputs for both speaker systems? I thought you only could output ch 1/2 at the rear!
It would be nice to have a 17 rear output options as well for easy connection with other amps, right now I use some old quad 303 amps, one with din or phono and one with stereo din and therefor it came handy to make a cable with stereo jack to stereo din.
My project is a diy big quad 63 speaker project with extra quad bass panels and x-overs and filters for both bass and main speakers done with your adi 2 pro. And one day also with Accourate.
BR  Jørgen

Hello,

In my second post I made a mistake in the line starting with : it would be nice to have a 1/2/3/4 channel out...........

well I wanted to make some x-over settings but found out that for ch 3/4, Band 5 type, I can only make a high cut until 200hz and not the 63hz I need. Band 1-5 Frequency : adjustable from 20hz to 20khz.....?

Anything to do?

Best regards,
Jørgen

The page number I referred to was not an error - you got me confused by mentioning the (ADI-2) DAC.

Band 1 has a High Cut option as well, fully tunable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for using the word DAC, I am a stereofreak although being professional opera bassplayer, therefor.

Yes I can make a highcut at 63hz using Band 1 but then I cannot make any lowcut at all (Band 5)do you have another solution?
is it something you could change in the software?

If not I could use output 3/4 analog out to miniDSP2x4HD (which I had hope to skip as I dont like the sound) and do the management for the basspanels here.

The EQ can not be changed anymore. Adding the High Cut for Band 1 was already a workaround to get this crossover function working.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, and for some reason you can not adjust the high cut frequency futher down to ex 50hz?

in Band 5

Yes. That has been explained in this forum some time ago.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I assume MC refers to this posting here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 93#p126393

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes, but it doesn't 'explain' it, and I did not find it myself. With digital filters, the higher the sample rate the lower the resolution becomes in the lower audio range. The EQs are designed to work at 768 kHz, which  needs them to run in so called double precision mode to be accurate (and distortion-free) in the bass region. This causes significant DSP load. We have optimized the whole code as best as possible and found the High Cut workaround in Band 1 to provide such a filter. But lowering the frequencies of filters currently limited to 200 Hz would make them unstable when used at say 50 Hz.

Selecting filter settings correlating to the current sample rate is not possible, it would screw up any kind of preset, and even real-time behaviour (imagine setting up a complex filter at 44.1 Khz then switching to 192 kHz and parts of it no longer work).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by ramses 2018-07-21 08:52:48)

Now I remember it was a very old posting where different keywords than "high cut" have been used.
I think it came together with the request from a customer to make it also for Band 2 possible
to choose frequencies down to 20 Hz which was not possible at the beginning.
You explained it also with DSP performance etc ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

when ch 3/4, normally for phones, are used as a line output for a subwoofer, would it be  standard  to have Hi Power on?

No. But it depends on the sensitivity of said subwoofer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME