Topic: AES to SPDIF AUDIO artefacts problem

Hello
I have a Reverb rack and an Fireface UC
So i have found this cable to link the two machines
https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_aes … able_3.htm
( it was mentionned : Suitable for RME interfaces )

but some glitch or artefacts occured after a moment
Some tells me that the rme get warm
But later someone has tell me that there was a probleme of inpédance between the reverb 110 ohms and rme 75 ohms so an adapter was require
Is this is the solution with AES cable out to adapater to Spdif cable ???
https://www.thomann.de/fr/neutrik_nadit … l_148519_4

I also read on the notice but its confusing that we can use AES cable

ok Im lost if someone has a clear solution ( and not a audio numeric lesson )
Many thks in advance

24.2 SPDIF
The Fireface UC has two SPDIF inputs and outputs. Coaxial and optical can be used simultaneously,
with different audio signals. Note that the sources have to be synchronous, as the unit
does not have a dedicated sample rate converter.
The optical input automatically switches to SPDIF operation when such a signal is detected.
The audio information is then shown in TotalMix on the first two ADAT channels, In 11 and In
To send out SPDIF from the optical output, select the option Optical – SPDIF in the Settings
dialog. The output signal in TotalMix has to be present on the first ADAT channels, AS 1+2.
The Fireface UC’s inputs accept SPDIF as well as AES/EBU.
To receive signals in AES/EBU format,
an adapter cable is required. Pins 2 and
3 of a female XLR plug are connected
individually to the two pins of a phono
plug. The cable shielding is connected
to pin 1 of the XLR and the ground
contact of the phono plug.

Special Characteristics of the SPDIF Output
Apart from the audio data itself, digital signals in SPDIF or AES/EBU format have a header containing
channel status information. False channel status is a common cause of malfunction. The
Fireface UC ignores the received header and creates a totally new one for the output signal.
The Fireface UC’s new output header is optimized for largest compatibility with other digital
devices:
• 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz depending on the current
sample rate
• Audio use, Non-Audio
• No Copyright, Copy Permitted
• Format Consumer or Professional
• Category General, Generation not indicated
• 2-channel, No Emphasis
• Aux bits Audio Use
Professional AES/EBU equipment can be connected to the Fireface UC thanks to its ‘Professional’
format option and a doubled output voltage. Output cables should have the same pinout
as those used for input (see above), but with a male XLR plug instead of a female one.
Note that most consumer HiFi equipment (with optical or phono SPDIF inputs) will only
accept signals in ‘Consumer’ format!
Therefore in SPDIF mode the optical output is set fixed to Consumer.

Re: AES to SPDIF AUDIO artefacts problem

First of all you have to find out what the real problem is. Your link shows the cable from Reverb to UC. How does that signal get there from the UC? Did you set the UC output to 'Professional'? Is the receiving device (which one?) set to sync to the UC's AES signal? Did you ever look into the Settings dialog and checked the SYNC state of the SPDIF input? Etc...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes the UC is set to Professional
the reverb is set to digital format

since I cheked the manual , they speak about an adaptater 110 75 ohms ! ?

Is the adaptation of the voltage is automatic on the uc ?

I admit I had the volume via the spdif panel in totalmix, while the manual say that the signal appears
in the AES panel

fhylter wrote:

yes the UC is set to Professional
the reverb is set to digital format

Good. Now what about correct clock settings and SYNC indication in the Settings dialog?

fhylter wrote:

since I cheked the manual , they speak about an adaptater 110 75 ohms ! ?

Such an adapter is not needed.

fhylter wrote:

I admit I had the volume via the spdif panel in totalmix, while the manual say that the signal appears
in the AES panel

I searched the manual for 'AES' and didn't find such a statement.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"Good. Now what about correct clock settings and SYNC indication in the Settings dialog?"

In the reberb the sync is passive by aes signal  and detect the rate 44100

On the RME

Optical spdif
Spdif Professional

Clock mode
44100hz
Source " internal " ( curent mode internal )

Word Clock IO mode >Off
Word Clock IN mode >Off

Input status
Word  No lock
Optical in No lock
Spdif Coax sync 44.1

"Such an adapter is not needed."

Can you explain why because some says that's it could be problems of impedance differences and also voltages that could damage the sound card !
Also why the manual of UC states this
------ To receive signals in AES/EBU format,
an adapter cable is required. Pins 2 and
3 of a female XLR plug are connected
individually to the two pins of a phono
plug. The cable shielding is connected
to pin 1 of the XLR and the ground
contact of the phono plug ----

What do you think of

Also I m using this cable (prosnake) witch is mentioned  " good to rme"
Can you tell me if it's the good one to transit signal without problems and if there are not to cheap for the job
https://m.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_aes_e … able_3.htm

Thks !

That cable equals exactly the description in the manual.

So you use an optical cable from UCX to Reverb? But the way back is coaxial? Why?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by fhylter 2018-07-23 20:17:21)

yes strange
the bricasti reverb seams to lock only when I put the clock source on Internal ( but only spdif coax sync is on)

If I put the clock mode source on spdif in for exemple, the sample rate goes 32000 hz and the digital status is unknow on reverb
Same thing with Clock source on optical IN and rate goes 32000 hz

but in the input status its only spdid coax thats seams conected

the optical IN state ever = NO LOCK

An idea ?

edit: I was thinking that it was a coaxial cable here
so the problem would be the output no ?

Just to chime in here on the cable issue. For many years, on remote orchestral recordings, I have been using a UFX (original) to feed an on-location rough mix to a Tascam CD burner (AES to SPDIF- I give the resulting CD to the conductor to use when deciding on edits, etc. before we do the final mix in the studio; the UFX also feeds a multitrack Pro Tools system).

I connect the UFX and the Tascam with a cable I made from Canare DA206 cable and Neutrik XLR and RCA connectors, following the instructions in the UFX manual. This arrangement has never failed me, and I’ve done hundred of recordings with it.

Hello what was the ohms of the cable?
Since aes is in 110 and .rca 75

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDispla … tItemID=66

Hello, I believe the link to çanare is not working anymore. May you please post the specification of suitable cable wire ?

Alternatively perhaps it would be easier for many people to purchase also a prefabricated 75ohm spdif cable assuming not a very long cable run is needed, cut off one end and then solder the appropriate terminals to say an XLR jack such as Neutrik as per the RayDAT user guide page 35?
Or will this not work well because of a lack of shield on the cable?

Would it be preferable to purchase an AES cable with xlr ends and then cut off one end and solder on 2x coax rca connectors for the spdif termination?

Thanks for your assistance.