1 (edited by Markdude 2018-08-02 03:12:52)

Topic: Routing a digital I/O 'loop' for processing

I've ordered a Babyface Pro and will be using it with a MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI unit. The MiniDSP unit will be used for FIR EQ processing (a Sonarworks headphone calibration curve) and it has digital inputs and outputs only.

I really would like to avoid buying a separate DAC to run the MiniDSP into, so I'm wondering if there's a way I could configure TotalMix to do the following without creating a feedback loop.

1. DAW + Windows main stereo output signal routed to the Babyface Pro's digital output
2. Run the Babyface Pro's digital output into the MiniDSP's digital input
3. Run the MiniDSP's digital output (processed signal) into the Babyface Pro's digital input
4. Real-time direct monitoring always enabled for the Babyface Pro's digital input (i.e. always hear the processed signal)

The tricky part to me (if I'm conceptualizing correctly) is that I'd need to have the initial main stereo output signal (pre-MiniDSP) NOT be monitored through the analog outputs (since I want to hear just the post-MiniDSP processed signal through those), and likewise I'd need to be sure the post-MiniDSP processed signal does not loop back into the Babyface Pro's digital output via the direct monitoring of the digital input. I believe either of those will create feedback loops or other shenanigans.

In other words, the initial stereo signal should go through the Babyface's digital output, but not through the analog outputs. And the processed signal coming out of the MiniDSP unit's digital output should go through the Babyface's digital input and the analog outputs, but not through the digital output.

Is this possible with TotalMix? I know that the simplest solution is just to continue using the Sonarworks plugin + Systemwide program, but I'd really love to have all of that processing be taken care of by the MiniDSP unit and have everything as seamless as possible.

Re: Routing a digital I/O 'loop' for processing

Yes and easy. It is just a mixer with submixes per output pair. So just set as you discribed above by selecting the output pairs (bottom row) Use the electrical spdif if possible.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Re: Routing a digital I/O 'loop' for processing

vinark wrote:

Yes and easy. It is just a mixer with submixes per output pair. So just set as you discribed above by selecting the output pairs (bottom row) Use the electrical spdif if possible.

Fantastic, thank you so much! Sounds like I definitely made the right choice by going with RME.