1 (edited by karbomusic 2018-08-09 14:29:47)

Topic: UFX Noise Issue w/Video

This began as intermittent and originally thought it was a fluke but my UFX is now non-functional. Analog inputs are all squealing with digital noise. This issue occurs even when nothing but the power cable is connected - all other audio/FW/USB cabling is disconnected and the same issue occurs.

In the video the USB cable is connected just so I can demonstrate that the behavior resets or changes itself when loading workspaces but this issue exists with nothing connected. When this first began, loading a few random workspaces would stop the issue, then I could load the orignal WS and get back to work but that 'fix' no longer works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_6-XcFq10

The issue has conincidentally occured at about the same age my FF800 died. The FF800 died at around the 5 year mark, that was the power supply which I subsequently rebuilt by hand to fix the issue - I'm not sure this is also a PSU issue but it's a little disconcerting that my second high-end RME device has failed with this frequency - it's getting a little expensive at this point.

Any suggestions? If there are any known issues that I can address/repair myself, please advise as I'm decently fluent in SMD reflow, soldering, PCB work and general electronics and microcontrollers - I'd really like to get this fixed since I can't justify purchasing 3 devices in 10 years due to hardware reliablity concerns.

FYI: Firmware, drivers etc. are all updated to the latest as far as I know (Firmware: 1.63)
Thanks

Re: UFX Noise Issue w/Video

Hello,

Your video link is not working, please contact Synthax Inc. for parts or service options in the US.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Video fixed, was set to private by mistake, it is now working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_6-XcFq10

I'd appreciate anyone taking a look at it, and offering any comments as to whether this is a known issue and/or what that issue is related to. I need to better understand what is actually occurring if it is known.

Thanks.

Looks like the power supply is failing.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by karbomusic 2018-08-09 16:30:55)

Thanks for the response Jeff - PSU vs symptom does make some sense. This issue below looks similar based on the user explanations of symptoms - especially the coming and going of the issue and my unit being from circa 2012:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=12664

I'll crack it open, check the connector and PSU/Caps etc. If I can't find it, I'll consider sending it in but my 'coincidental failure rate' is bugging me a tad. I'm guessing these units don't handle being powered on all the time that well but I only say that because both of my units are/were powered on much of their lifetimes.

Thanks again.

Being in a rack, closely stacked together doesn't help.

My FF400 was deemed "broken" for professional use after almost 10 years in a rack. The PSU needs a recap. The big DC blocking caps in the outputs are leaking DC to the speakers. Doesn't matter. The speakers have another set of blocking caps. And the DC switches on the power. Kind of convenient.

I keep it cool until it breaks. Then I"ll recap.

No more rack mounts. I've noticed this being a problem with other gear too. I'm babysitting 2 MOTU's atm. Both have intermittent problems. Both have spent around ten years in a hot rack.

But five years is short. Dunno about the UFX, but our 800's seem to last ten years too. With an occasional PSU repair, but they're in a hot rack too.

In ten years, a lot of other things wear out too. Most noticeable on my FF400, the instrument inputs (3&4). I guess we all know why big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

7 (edited by karbomusic 2018-08-09 19:29:47)

cyrano wrote:

Being in a rack, closely stacked together doesn't help.

Hey man, good to hear from you. smile

It's rack mountable LOL so that should ideally be part of the consideration. Thing is the UFX didn't seem to generate near as much heat as my FF800 did. Either way, Electro caps never have a reputation of longevity in general but I keep seeing this failure pop up on my RME gear roughly after 4 years.

With the FF800 I replaced with all high grade/high temp Electros (as you already know), that's a start (hint hint) as I'd happily pay a few extra $$ for high grade caps in the base unit (if that is the issue).

I've changed my studio setup a bit so that the UFX doesn't need to be powered on all the time anymore but I still dislike the fact that the PSU degrades as quickly as it does. I haven't found any evidence of anything that would cause this that is specific to my environment other than breaking down over time via heat etc.

Closing the loop on this...

Jeff wrote:

Looks like the power supply is failing.

It was, and is now fixed. Thanks again for the help.