Topic: Equalizer bands

I have been experimenting with the ADI-2 (DAC) equalizer, and have come to appreciate the remark in the manual about always wanting more DSP. I was hoping for some clarification about combining the PEQ with the bass+treble settings to achieve more effective available bands.

1. Are the bass and treble controls effectively useable as two additional peak filter bands (limited to +-6dB)? i.e., when using them, do I effectively have 7 EQ bands available? (I realize that the EQ-specific presets will not store the bass+treble specific bands.)

2. If so, can they be used to work around the limitation of forced frequency order currently present in the PEQ? Specifically, I have found that I cannot use band 1 for a low shelf filter set to a higher frequency than a peak filter in band 2. For example, if I want to apply a peak at 22Hz (in band 2) and a low shelf at 66Hz (which must be done in band 1), this does not work. At least in the graphical settings screen, the band 2 frequency resets to equal the band 1 frequency. So, can I use the bass control to set the 22Hz peak instead? Would this combine correctly in the DSP unit? I don't necessarily expect to see this show up in the curve UI, I just want to know if the signal processing would work.

(Ideally, I'd like to have more EQ bands and to be able to set any frequency and any filter type in any band, along with finer grain in the settings choosable by the encoders, but I understand that's asking too much. smile )

Re: Equalizer bands

gepardcv wrote:

1. Are the bass and treble controls effectively useable as two additional peak filter bands (limited to +-6dB)? i.e., when using them, do I effectively have 7 EQ bands available? (I realize that the EQ-specific presets will not store the bass+treble specific bands.)

Apart from that you wrote 'addtional peak filters' (Bass/Treble are shelve filters) - sure you can.

gepardcv wrote:

2. If so, can they be used to work around the limitation of forced frequency order currently present in the PEQ? Specifically, I have found that I cannot use band 1 for a low shelf filter set to a higher frequency than a peak filter in band 2.

That is not true. You can.

gepardcv wrote:

For example, if I want to apply a peak at 22Hz (in band 2) and a low shelf at 66Hz (which must be done in band 1), this does not work.

It does. You seem to have done something wrong. Also the Bode plot shows the interaction correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your information and corrections. I did manage to get a shelf filter working at a higher frequency than the lowest peak filter.

Only one thing didn't end up working for me: the equalizer chart does not show any effect from the bass or treble settings. Is this perhaps a feature of an upcoming firmware revision?

No, that is intentional. Otherwise we would have to add Loudness (and maybe even DA filter choice) to the plot, which makes not much sense as that is not PEQ and would be highly confusing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I agree that it would be highly confusing in the PEQ sub menu.

But to have such a display of all EQ settings (including volume dependend loudness setting, bass + treble, filter settings) could be quite informative.
Probably as a forth main screen? and an option to toggle between "all on / all off"? so that someone could have a direct comparison of an untreated signal and all signal influencing parameters.

I agree, it would be immensely useful to look at a chart showing the effects of all adjustments (bass+treble, loudness, and PEQ).

I would also love to see finer-grained steps in all PEQ settings. And looser restrictions on the parameter range in the bass+treble controls (larger Q range and frequency ranges).