1 (edited by newt 2018-09-06 14:41:28)

Topic: Babyface (not pro) with Focusrite Octopre via ADAT and word clock

Hi,

I'm a bit new to this so please go easy on me.

I'm wondering how to use the Focusrite Octopre with the Babyface via ADAT?

My understanding is that there is no ADAT in on the Octopre, so does that mean it's not possible to sync via word clock?

Also, just checking, if I connect a preamp unit (like the octopre but with ADAT in) together via ADAT and word clock sync, will the babyface be a slave of the device connected to it, or the other way around?

Cheers

Newt

Re: Babyface (not pro) with Focusrite Octopre via ADAT and word clock

The Babyface does not have any Word Clock connectivity... So it can only sync to ADAT or provide sync through ADAT.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi

Does that mean that if I use the octopre I will have to use the octopre as the master and the babyface as the slave (since the octopre doesnt have any adat input)?

I'm wondering do I lose anything by going this route? Is there any reason why I would want the babyface to be the master for instance? Just trying to make sure I cover all my bases.

Cheers

Newt

4 (edited by vinark 2018-09-06 15:07:30)

newt wrote:

Hi

Does that mean that if I use the octopre I will have to use the octopre as the master and the babyface as the slave (since the octopre doesnt have any adat input)?

I'm wondering do I lose anything by going this route? Is there any reason why I would want the babyface to be the master for instance? Just trying to make sure I cover all my bases.

Cheers

Newt

No the Octo as master is fine (or perfect...). It is the whole reason it (babyface) can be master or slaved...to use it. It has steadyclock (read up on it if you are really interested in clocking/syncing)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

newt wrote:

Hi

Yes, if you only have these two devices connected to each other.

This will work fine. You will just need to make sample rate changes by manually switching the Octopre.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you so much everyone smile Hope you have a great day.

7 (edited by ramses 2018-09-06 16:51:45)

It surely will work.

But you will loose RME's superior clocking mechanism (steadycock) which might make a little difference in the quality of A/D conversion (octopre) and AD/DA conversion on the BBF.

And it's usually nicer in term of handling when the DAW project sets the sample rate of the directly connected BBF (as clock master) via the ASIO driver and the rest of the equipment follows these settings by receiving the clock via inbound digital connections like ADAT or WC.

In that regards you could improve your setup in the future (to take the better clock as master).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The idea behind Steadyclock is to remove incoming signals' jitter (if it comes from a bad converter), but it does not mean that the clock is better than that of other devices per se.... I can't comment on the clock quality of the Octopre, but I would not assume it is all that bad.
I'd suggest to make the best out of the existing equipment for now, and I think you will be able to get good results with it, even with the converter as clock master... :-)

Convenience as in having the DAW switch the sample rate is nice, but for people who usually work at the same sample rate, it does not make a big difference.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by vinark 2018-09-06 16:52:55)

Hey Ramses (and  hi Daniel),
Everything runs best with it's internal clock or equal at best. Steadyclock is exactly for that, removing degradation because of the incoming clock. Not only because this clock can be inferior, but also because locking to an external clock is no simple thing. Sound on sound tested this and their conclusion was simple, all devices they tested had worse jitter when running on external, also when that external clock was better, yes it didn't even matter if the external clock was better or worse, the problems are with locking on the external clock. Except one audio device (yes the most expensive) that one was able to keep its quality when clocked externally, but again not get better by using an external super clock. That said, it is a good idea to have the recording device as master when recording to get the lowest jitter in your recordings. When mixing you can switch to setting the monitoring DA as master if you would like. If this is an RME device it is not needed because of steadyclock, it works equal internally and clocked externally.
Unless you hear a difference with your ADI2 pro int or ext.

Vincent, Amsterdam

10 (edited by newt 2018-09-06 16:57:02)

This is so helpful.

I'm just wondering, I do have an old multiface II lying around which has ADAT in and out. I wonder would it be better to connect this to the babyface? I could then get 3 DI boxes for my 3 guitars and plug these into the multiface II (which would create 3 HI-Z inputs)?

I would then also have 2 mic inputs on the babyface.

Then if I wanted more mics I could add preamps going into the multiface?

Would this result in the system having best of all worlds? Steadyclock and any input I needed?

Cheers again smile

Newt

Thanks Vinark, did I understand correctly that you mean in this case it could be even better when he uses the clock of the Octopre and to let the BBF remove the jitter of the incoming clock signal from Octopre ??

I know the ADI-2 Pro refreshes every incoming clock signal so that it doesn't matter which clock quality comes in.

Daniel is this the same also for the BBF to refresh any incoming clock ?

Additional question, is the refreshing of external clock signal part of every steadyclock implementation?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Again just do what is practical and forget about clocking. Of course it has to be clocked but don't think about sound quality and clocking at all. That is unless you have a 10000000$ studio. Which is dead quiet and has the very best gear. Just see clocking as the last 0.0001% of quality. Which is 100% undetectable by our human ears.

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses wrote:

Thanks Vinark, did I understand correctly that you mean in this case it could be even better when he uses the clock of the Octopre and to let the BBF remove the jitter of the incoming clock signal from Octopre ??

I know the ADI-2 Pro refreshes every incoming clock signal so that it doesn't matter which clock quality comes in.

Additional question, is the refreshing of external clock signal part of every steadyclock implementation?

Yes
yes
yes
yes
you get it!

Vincent, Amsterdam

newt wrote:

This is so helpful.

I'm just wondering, I do have an old multiface II lying around which has ADAT in and out. I wonder would it be better to connect this to the babyface? I could then get 3 DI boxes for my 3 guitars and plug these into the multiface II (which would create 3 HI-Z inputs)?

I would then also have 2 mic inputs on the babyface.

Then if I wanted more mics I could add preamps going into the multiface?

Would this result in the system having best of all worlds? Steadyclock and any input I needed?

Cheers again smile

Newt

You could even daisy chain if you wanted. Octo into multi with adat, octo master. Multi into baby with adat, babyface slave. You would need to do some routing in the multiface tottalmix.
You could also use the multiface as the main interface and connect the Octo with adat and the baby with spdif.
There is no right or wrong here, just what is practical to you!

Vincent, Amsterdam

I think this is a real interesting thread.

Maybe a brief summary why I gave my recommendation.

I read from other people that ie their inexpensive Behringer Mic Preamp should have sounded better after getting clocked by a RME recording interface.

This of course could be a case of psychoacoustic effect that they expected this result and were prebiased so that it only seemed to sound better for their ears.

Then we all know that a clock with less jitter is good for any ADDA conversion.

But there is simply information missing
- up to what point this is still audible or at least recommended to be on the safe side or
- how to make best use of steadyclock (like discussed in this thread

My impression / understanding of steadyclock so far is that RME has developed steadyclock also further and one of the latest implementations is Steadyclock III ie on the ADI-2 Pro with even more reduced clock jitter.

When Steadyclock is able to reduce jitter from incoming clock signals and re-clocks internally and is being developed further by RME then I would think that the clock is  superior to those of many other more inexpensive devices.

Of course surrounding conditions also count.

But even if somebody can not hear it I think it's simply a best practice approach to make thought's about how to clock correctly to get ADDA being done in the best possible way so that at the end the wave files in your DAW have the best possible quality as source for further processing.

You info Vinark that some devices might not handle external clocks well is definitely very welcome.

I only knew up to now that the WC implementation of cheaper devices might be of poor quality so that it's much better to clock using digital connections like AES, ADAT, MADI.

ramses wrote:

I think this is a real interesting thread.

Maybe a brief summary why I gave my recommendation.

I read from other people that ie their inexpensive Behringer Mic Preamp should have sounded better after getting clocked by a RME recording interface.

Exactly this was tested and thet were worse!

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses wrote:

Indeed, yes, every RME device with Steadyclock does this. But mind that this will not improve or correct recorded signal from a (hypothethical) external converter with really bad jitter specs. It will only make sure that the RME device's own converters do not suffer from the bad external clock quality.

So if the clock quality of the Octopre were absolutely terrible, it might gain from external clock. But I would doubt that... So use the devices you have with confidence for now, and if you ever have a chance to try out some kind of Word Clock unit, you can try out if extenal clock makes a noticeable difference with the Octropre.... But beware of confimation bias, you may be hearing things because you want to hear them....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ramses wrote:

My impression / understanding of steadyclock so far is that RME has developed steadyclock also further and one of the latest implementations is Steadyclock III ie on the ADI-2 Pro with even more reduced clock jitter.

When Steadyclock is able to reduce jitter from incoming clock signals and re-clocks internally and is being developed further by RME then I would think that the clock is  superior to those of many other more inexpensive devices.

Yes, but clock quality and Steadyclock are still separate things. You could have a device with the best possible clock quality, but no Steadyclock, and it would suffer from external sync to an inferior device.

And you could have a device with "normal" good clock quality and Steadyclock, and it would operate with its own clock quality even when fed an inferior sync. And in theory, it would also retain the same specs even when fed a sync signal with less jitter.

RME devices, esp. the ADI-2 Pro/DAC with FS, offer both, excellent clock quality and jitter removal.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Many thanks Daniel for taking the time to detail this.

Ive just found out that the multiface ii does not have steady clock?

If I go with connecting the multiface to the babyface to get more ins I will just need to get more mic pres or direct input boxes anyway?

It seems to make sense to go with an octopre for now and sell my multiface? Since octopre has 2 hiz inputs and I already have one on the babyface, so that would cover all 3 guitars I want to connect.

I guess I have a choice - have octopre with everything in one box, or go with the multiface and have to buy lots of bits individually. Which would you go for?

Cheers

N

21 (edited by ramses 2018-09-12 09:42:13)

Try out what works best for you. You only have to test 2 solutions.

Maybe it's easier from operational perspective to work with only one instance of TM FX and to adjust gain on the Octopre.

On the other hand Potis are usually not so good on focusrite devices, much fiddeling around at the last quarter of poti settings with "micrometer style" of adjustments.

For this reason it might be easier to recall all settings digitally on the Multiface II and to adjust digitally.

Octopre would be my choice.

Vincent, Amsterdam

23 (edited by newt 2018-09-12 10:57:15)

Thanks vinark,

Ive seen a fireface 800 on ebay for £450 (which has steadyclock), I could sell the multiface for £200 and use the fireface instead? This would give me good pres? I would then need to get DI boxes for any guitars?

There is also the option of a 2nd hand octamic at around £300. I could plug that into the multiface. However, it wouldnt have steadyclock I guess and there's lots of things in the signal chain that arent needed?

Or maybe a Mackie Onyx mixer to get the pres into the multiface?

Would any of these be a better option than the octopre?

24 (edited by ramses 2018-09-12 12:30:21)

Octamic XTC is very flexible if your budget would allow.

All 8 mic inputs can be also used for balanced connections.

When being used with a TS plug then the 1st four inputs have PAD to dampen strong signals and the last 4 (!!) inputs can be used as Instrument Input. This would reduce efforts in spending much money and cables and having all this stuff to place somewhere.

It offers on top 2 phones outputs to monitor any incoming signals from any inputs (Mic/Line, ADAT, AES, MADI).
These unbalanced outputs can even be used to connect near field speakers if needed.

It also offers class compliant mode to be used directly with Windows or for ie an  iPAD based recording solution.

4 AES inputs and outputs can be used to connect or clock other studio equipment.
Or you can connect digital speakers to it or expand the solution later with reference grade ad/da conversion with an ADI-2 Pro FS.

ADAT I/O is also provided.
And you can later even use it in a larger setup as it also has MADI I/O.

This box is so flexible, you can even use it as format converter.

If you have the possibility then I would use that as it's worth every cent.

As a strategy I recommend more flexible and intelligent solutions that later easily can be integrated into a larger context like expansion of solutions via either ADAT or MADI.

A nice combination for the future could be for you ie MADIface and the XTC.

With a MADI solution and fiber cables you are not so limited to separate ie PC from recording room as cables can be up to  2 km long and compared to ADAT MADI allows you to record via multiplexing still 32 channels at 96 kHz.

I would go into that direction. Starting with the XTC now connected to the BBF.

Later you can replace BBF against MADIface and much later add ADI-2 Pro FS.

This way each component can stay for a "lifetime" and gives you best performance and flexibility in many scenarios.

This is better than buying and selling and rebuying and selling  and so on.

You save money by not loosing money and have fun by directly working with the better equipment.

Also from operational perspective the XTC is top with its display and menu structure.

Yeah its just too over my budget really.

I either have £200-300 to spend, or £500 (including the sale of the multiface, if that needs selling).

Im wondering what the next best thing might be?

I would not worry about steadyclock or not. My ADI8 AE does not have it. Really trust your ears and wallet more. The gains if any are audible at all are very small even on paper.
With your 3 devices you can make a great setup. The multiface has word clock out so make it master for the octo, then steady clock is irrelevant.
Octo into multi, multi master, octo slave to WC. Multi into baby with adat, baby slave to adat. In the totalmix for the multi, you can define the routing to the baby.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hmm sounds interesting. However, maybe a little overkill for what I need.

There is the 2nd hand fireface UC or 400 which seems interesting.

I have 3 guitars, so one can go in the instrument level on the baby and the 2 other guitars could go into the instrument level on the fireface?

Then I've got 3 mic/line slots (between the babyface and fireface) and also another 4 line ins on the fireface.

Then I could sell my multiface?

You do have the focusrite octo yes? If yes, just get 2 simple DI's. No need to over complicate it.

Vincent, Amsterdam

29 (edited by newt 2018-09-12 13:29:41)

Hi,

I wonder if the fireface 400 might be the best solution for the budget?

Between the babyface and the fireface, that gives me 3 mic pres and 3 instrument level inputs. Then there are a further 4 line level inputs on the fireface.

I can pick up a fireface 400 for around £400, or a UC for around £600.

I could then sell my multiface for £200-300.

Would this be a better option than the octopre, which seems a little overkill (I might not need the extra 4 mic inputs)?

Since I'm just using it through adat Im guessing there is no need to get a UC since I wont be using it as a firewire audio interface?

Cheers

N

If you don't have the octo already, this is an altogether different question.... I have a babyface, I need 3 DI level guitar inputs and ??? mics. What should I buy?
But do you ever play 3 guitars at the same time?  Why not plug them one at a time? Are you shure you are not in a buying mood???

Vincent, Amsterdam

31 (edited by newt 2018-09-12 13:29:48)

Yes, Im live looping. They will always need to be plugged in.

I guess the question is 2nd hand fireface 400 vs new octopre, because they are about the same price? Are the preamps better in the fireface? Would I get better bandwidth with the steadyclock? I guess not? The RME devices also have adat in so more expandable?

With guitars the DI is the most important part and I am no expert. I would think 3 DI's into the multiface should work too? You could even try an effects pedal in bypass mode (try all you have some might be perfect). Some have impedance correction. If you get the tone you like you are there. Electric guitars have low freq bandwidth, high noise and little dynamic range anyway, compared to AD converters, so When the impedance is matched there will be no issues. Dull sound is always the impedance being to low in normal line ins, not their quality, clocking or whatever.

Vincent, Amsterdam

33 (edited by ramses 2018-09-12 13:49:36)

Firewire is a dead horse. Better get an UC, make it to your primary device.

2 of it's analog inputs (3+4 at the front ) can be used as Instructed inputs, the 3rd you can connect via D/I Box.

Expand as you like/need via ADAT.

You can also use an ARC USB to control the device/TM FX.

34 (edited by newt 2018-09-12 15:45:38)

By my calculations it would cost me £50 extra to get a UC 2nd hand and £350 to get one new, if I sold all my other gear (multiface+babyface sell for £450 total 2nd hand atm). It's  a huge/risky purchase for 2nd hand at £600 for the UC at the moment, that isnt in warranty.

So then if I went with a new UC, it will mean I have to spend a further £350 over my budget and it won't be worth more than the fireface400+babyface in 2 years time, so I will just be £350 out of pocket.

It seems to make sense budgetwise to go with the fireface 400, otrerwise I have to shell out £350 extra. Unless there is a really good reason why the UC is worth the extra £350, which I can't seem to see at the moment.

35 (edited by vinark 2018-09-12 17:11:01)

Get a behringer ADA8200,more then enough for DIed guitars. You will need DI's.

Vincent, Amsterdam

newt wrote:

Unless there is a really good reason why the UC is worth the extra £350, which I can't seem to see at the moment.

As I said, Firewire is a dead horse. Support in Win10 is not so good anymore from what I read.

Additionally, you will get an old device for sure since the FF400 is from 2007 and since years out of production. So the likeliness to get a relatively old device, which might need service soon, is more likely.

Therefore I would recommend to get an UC.

Thanks so much for the help.

Yes I had avoided the berhinger until now because apparently they fail quite quick, so was thinking to get fireface 800 because it's only £100 extra and get some Di boxes going in.

Will I need di boxes for all the guitars?

It's such a tough one, if I get the UC 2nd hand then all my eggs are in one basket, if it breaks I'm screwed. Whereas I can replace a baby-face or fireface pretty easy. Similarly if I buy UC new it will only be worth £300 in 2 yrs... So I lose £500 there.

newt wrote:

It's such a tough one, if I get the UC 2nd hand then all my eggs are in one basket, if it breaks I'm screwed. Whereas I can replace a baby-face or fireface pretty easy. Similarly if I buy UC new it will only be worth £300 in 2 yrs... So I lose £500 there.

RME used gear prices are relatively high compared to other products (around 70-75% of new price) because of quality, features and further driver / application development up to 15+ years.

So even if you'd buy a new one the loss is not much. But what loss ... you will be able to keep it for a very long time. In contrast to this you might loose a FF400 relatively quick because of age and might have problems to sell it because Firewire is ... you know what I mean.

Here the octopre is €350, the ADA8200 from €150. 2 DI's or a stereo DI from €30 and up . The babyface or the multiface are great. If you keep both you have a backup. I have 3 RME cards,One main one secondairy and a backup in a closet.

Vincent, Amsterdam

41 (edited by newt 2018-09-12 21:42:49)

Ok, I get it now. The UC is the best choice. Thanks for this suggestion.

I'm planning on getting rid of the multiface, keeping the babyface and buying a used UC.

Would it be possible to use the babyface to extend the ins of the fireface UC? (an extra 1 mic preamp and instrument input)

This would give me 3 mic preamps, 3 instrument inputs and 4 analog ins in total, which I think would be just enough.

Cheers

N

Yes, but it might be easier in handling to use ie a combination of UC and ADA8200 than having to deal with routing of 2 recording in 2 separate TM FX instances.

I agree, unless you are already as handy with totalmix as Ramses and me or are willing to invest in getting to full grips with it.

Vincent, Amsterdam

44 (edited by newt 2018-09-13 06:20:36)

Hmm, my plan was just to use the babyface as the master clock through ADAT. I wasn't planning on using the USB aspect. Is there something I should be aware of with connecting these two together to get the UC to  use the preamps and instrument input of the babyface? Can I just use ADAT and one Totalmix instance with the UC?

45 (edited by ramses 2018-09-13 08:23:26)

You can choose whether to take ADA8200 or UC  as clock master. The pros and cons have been discussed in detail in this thread.

Best should be to use ADA8200 as clock master. The UC you can easily configure to get its clock from ADAT port. Steadyclock will then refresh the clock signal and remove any jitter from it.

The clock will be transferred over the ADAT connection from ADA8200 to the UC.

As the ADA8200 also has an ADAT IN port connect also a second TOSLINK cable from UC ADAT OUT to ADA8200 IN. Then you can also make use of the analog out ports of the unit.

By this you can use up to three external stereo devices as outboard equipment to put an example. If you need only the inputs of the unit and if clock comes from the ADA8200 then you do not need to connect the 2nd TOSLINK cable and keep it as reserve.

If possible I would rack both devices into a 2 or 3 RU case, as TOSLINK cables are more fragile than ie Mic cable's.  Then you can use shorter TOSLINK cables of ie 1m length to have a little reserve.

You need to try whether 2 RU are sufficient.  Sometimes it's better to have 1 RU on top if devices have a different length. Makes plugging and unplugging of cables easier. Also good for better heat dissipation if you leave some space between devices and between device and the rack. Distribute the space equally.

The cables from MUTEC are of good quality. I wouldn't take anymore the thick manteled cables from Sommercable as they are too stiff and you have then an instant tension on the ADAT ports. MUTEC cables connect very precisely and anchor well but are still easy to disconnect.

newt wrote:

Hmm, my plan was just to use the babyface as the master clock through ADAT. I wasn't planning on using the USB aspect. Is there something I should be aware of with connecting these two together to get the UC to  use the preamps and instrument input of the babyface? Can I just use ADAT and one Totalmix instance with the UC?

Yes you need to set up the UC or babyface through usb at least once and save it for standalone mode.

Vincent, Amsterdam