Topic: HDSP 9632 - loud popping sound through headphones when power on

I have had the HDSP 9632 for many years now with the same headphones (Sennheiser HD 650's) and never had this issue but recently the headphones have begun emitting a loud popping sound when I power on / awake my PC. I was under the impression that the headphone output has pop protection so not sure what is happening here.

Recently upgraded my PC build and bought these new (official RME) cables https://sxpro.co.uk/rme-bo9632cmkh

On latest 4.26 drivers.

Asus X299 Prime Deluxe motherboard
Corsair 1000w PSU
Windows 10 Pro.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Re: HDSP 9632 - loud popping sound through headphones when power on

You changed the hardware/computer, which makes the pop-suppression of the 9632 (developed many years ago on meanwhile totally outdated computer hardware) no longer working. That can happen, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So the pop suppression is dependent on the  PC rather than the circuitry of the soundcard?

It is designed to work with the typical behaviour of motherboard and power supply of tose times. In its successor, the HDSPe AIO, this pop suppression was removed as low impedance outputs became more important.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh ok thanks. Is there anything you can suggest I can do to limit or prevent this popping each time I power on my PC? I'm just worried it will eventually ruin the headphones.

That is very unlikely. The pop might sound loud to you but it is harmless.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME