Topic: Routing Problem 48kHz or higher on Win7 SP1

Hi, :-)

I use UFX and XTC.
I updated TMFX to the latest recently.

I found when I use TMFX 1.50(3) at 48kHz or above on Win7 SP1 and the default output is routed 1-2, Windows sends the both stereo signal to output 3.

When I set the default output to 3-4, it sends signal to output 3-4 correctly.

Please someone teach me how to fix this....

Thank you.

UFX, XTC, BabyPro, Baby, UCX, QuadII, M16&32ADDA, HDSP(e) MADI AIO 9632 Multiface2
Win10, BigSur

2 (edited by ramses 2018-09-14 09:26:17)

Re: Routing Problem 48kHz or higher on Win7 SP1

The forum contains many answers to questions regarding TM FX routing.

Additionally you can look here in my blog:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, but didn't help my problem.

I think this is not Total Mix's Problem, but the RME driver or Windows' one.

UFX, XTC, BabyPro, Baby, UCX, QuadII, M16&32ADDA, HDSP(e) MADI AIO 9632 Multiface2
Win10, BigSur

What kind of playback software are you using here? Does this also happen with ASIO?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks,

Sorry, I forgot writing about playback software.
This problem occurs when I use WDM multi-channel (more than 3) audio, not ASIO.
(Perfect on ASIO, I think. :-) )

- Some games, for example Age of Empire II Forgotten Empire, recent games also
- Power DVD 4ch, other DVD software also
- Sound Forge WDM, other sonic foundry lines also

I also tried this way ( change the number of WDM devices )
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27095

Driver version 1.114
Firmware 357

Regards,

Win10, BigSur

Typo? Current driver is 1.164. Check the Sound Control panel and the Speaker settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated the driver from 1.114 to 1.164. Thanks.

Then, it does worse behavior. :-P I think this did not happen when I use older drivers than 1.114. (I don't remember the previous driver version, caz I really trust RME :-) )

When I select "Speaker: RME Fireface UFX"(Analog 1+2) for the default on Windows' Sound Control Panel, (for example) Winamp WDM don't playback anything on every sampling rate except 44.1k. When I select "Analog (5+6)" for the default,  it works on any sampling rate.

Of course I checked the property of the device, and the driver returns these wrong formats listed below for the Analog 1+2 on the Speaker Property [Detail] tab. There are some other selectable formats in drop down list on some sampling rates, but it doesn't work.

(24bit)
(Fireface USB Settings > Returned Formats on Speaker Property [Detail] tab for Analog 1+2)
32k > 88.2k
44.1k > 44.1k correct!
48k > 44.1k
64k > 48k
88.2k > 48k
96k > 88.2k
128k > 96k
176k > 128k
192k > 176k

Regards,

Win10, BigSur

"When I select "Analog (5+6)" for the default,  it works on any sampling rate."
Of course it works on every outputs like Analog 3+4 ~ AES ~ ADAT, except Analog 1+2.

Win10, BigSur

Sounds like fully normal behaviour. WDM can not change the sample rate of the hardware. And if you can stlil play then the WDM kMixer is doing sample rate conversion to the current base rate (easy to see, check the Settings dialog).

You seem to have not checked Speaker format setting (like Stereo), sometimes this needs to be reset. And what happened to your 'channel 3 playback' problem?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks,

Is this normal behavior? I changed the sample rate on RME Fireface Settings not on Speaker Property. I also checked Speaker format setting. I know, KMixer does sample rate conversion, but this time WDA returns buffer error when I select these sample rate but 44.1k on 1+2. Do you find the "Speaker Property > Detail tab" shows defferent sample rate on your computer?

I think previous driver (older than 1.114) showed correct sample rate for 1+2 on "Speaker Property > Detail tab", and on this driver all the outputs except 1+2 shows correct sample rate. Also, if I change the sample rate on RME FireFace Setting from any sample rate, the "Speaker Property > Detail tab" shows same result listed previous post.

After updated drive to 1.164, the 'channel 3 playback' on any sample rate except 44.1k doesn't happen, but no sounds to 1+2 if I set default to 1+2.

Regards,

Win10, BigSur

Now I understand the problem, and I could reproduce it. We will fix this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you! I'm looking forward it!!

Win10, BigSur

Once you toggle the sample rate back to 44.1 and then to 48 again the playback will work. This seems to be an installation initialization problem. If setting sr forth and back does not work unplug the UFX, reboot the computer, replug the UFX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you,

I did it both, but doesn't work. Buffer error occurred.
I tried this on clean installed Win7 SP1, but same error.

Win10, BigSur

On a clean installation it works, there must be a different error then (USB drivers not up to date or similar).

We examined this issue more and found that it is a registry problem. Under Windows 7 one has to deinstall the RME device in the Device Manager, make sure that 'remove software/drivers' is checked as well. On reboot Windows will install the former driver (if there was any), so the procedure has to be repeated until no driver, or driver 1.099 is active. Then an update to 1.164 results in error free WDM operation.

We are currently preparing driver 1.165 which does not cause that registry hickup, but the procedure described will be necessary as well (then even under Windows 10). There is no other way to remove the registry data of all devices and sample rates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

I tried your procedure on my main "not clean" desktop PC with Win SP1 (which has "the WDM problem") until "no driver", then updated to 1.164 again, but it didn't solve the problem.

The problem on my clean installed Win 7 SP1 occurred because I installed older driver before doing your procedure. My PC was not "clean". I have some W series thinkpads, so I will try your procedure tomorrow.

Win10, BigSur

Or please tell me the Keys location where the FireFace Driver Settings stored in Registry.
I'll remove it.

Win10, BigSur

Hi,

I "totally clean" installed 1.164 driver but the same issue occurred.
I'm waiting for 1.165.

Win10, BigSur

Edit: Link from test driver removed

For this to work differently you most probably need a clean installation base, again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wow, thank you!
The driver is not digitally signed, but it works perfect especially on WDM without any configuration!

Win10, BigSur

Hurray and congrats :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13