Topic: Fireface 800 more I/O

Hi, I've got a fireface 800 and 2 ADI-8 DS connected to the fireface via ADAT.
Now I would like to add some more I/O, how could I do that keeping my beautiful babies?
I was thinking to buy a new fireface 802 and daisy chain it to the 800 (firewire) and then eventually add some ADI-8 linked via ADAT to the 802. May it work?
Thank you all, Franco.

Re: Fireface 800 more I/O

Nobody who can help me? neutral

3 (edited by ramses 2018-09-30 10:49:59)

Where is the problem ?
Set FF 800 to clock master, connect the ADI-8 DS via ADAT, configure ADI-8 DS to get clock via ADAT.
Handbook clearly states on page 12, that the converter can read clock from ADAT.
www.rme-audio.de/download/adi8ds_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your replay, yes my setup (ff800 + 2 aid-8) are already connected via adat so I've got 24 analog INs and OUTs and everything works well but my question is: may I add for instance a ff802 connecting it to the existing ff800 via firewire to have 8 analog channels more? If it works do I see 32 channels in the Totalmix? In case it couldn't work would you have any suggestion to add some analog inputs and outputs to my system without selling what I've already got?
Thanks again, Franco.

Sorry I overlooked this part of your question.
Fireface 800 and 802 use the same RME ASIO driver.
It should be possible to add the FF 802 to the system.
Although its possible to chain devices on the Firewire bus my recommendation to you is, to connect each of the Fireface 800/802 directly to a port on your Firewire card.
Please note, the FF802 has a Firewire 800 port simply for plug compatibility to a Firewire 800 bus, but is only able to speak Firewire 400.
You need to clock synch both devices, either by a free digital port or by word clock.
You need to take care on your own in the driver settings window, that both devices always use the same ASIO buffer size.
And you get a 2nd TM FX instance for the 2nd device and cant route channels across the 2 TM FX instances.
Should work this way ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well, I'm going to try it, unfortunately I must daisy chain the two firefaces since I have an iMac 27" with just one firewire port.
Thanks al lot Andreas for your help, I'll report here the outcome of my experiments.

7 (edited by ramses 2018-10-01 12:17:00)

You're welcome. I would look into the handbook of FF800 and FF802 in regards to the use of multiple cards.

Chapter 10 ...

My interpretation with FW800 expect issues when chaining ... eventually with FW400 ... but no guarantee.

Hi all,
I'm back on this post because have definitely bought a RME ADI 648 to connect to its adat port my ff800 and the 2 adi-8 ds. This allows me to add new ADIs when they will be needed. Can't find anything on the manual about this configuration so I ask; am I doing the right thing?
In case that's right the next step will be to buy a madiface card (my system is based on an iMac late 2011 so unfortunately I've got only usb 2.0): will this configuration work? Which madiface would you suggest me?
Thank you, Franco.

9 (edited by ramses 2018-11-14 22:04:39)

Either USB2 based: MADIface USB, MADIface Pro, but then you stay on USB2.

There is an USB3 based interface which supports still 70 ports under USB2: the MADIface XT
Which is quite versatile in terms of I/O and towards computer USB2/3 and PCIe.

The UFX+ would also be nice, but ... if you operate it under USB2, then you get a 30 channel interface like UFX II, no MADI.

So I personally think you should go MADIface XT if budget allows, because its very flexible in terms of I/O.
And you can start with USB2 and still have the analog I/O and 1 MADI channel (I think this refers to the 70 channels via USB2). Maybe check handbook regarding this (I have no time now). And later you surely will get a new Apple with USB3, then you can unleash the full potential out of the MADIface XT which supports up to 3 MADI channels (2x optical, 1x coaxial).

Later you can even intrgrate the ADI-2 Pro FS very nicely using AES/EBU, like i.e. described here in my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … tup-EN-DE/

Of course you can integrate the ARC USB to every recording interface supporing TotalMix FX .. so it would also fit nicely into a setup with the MADIface XT (with or without ADI-2 Pro FS).