Topic: Totalmix preferences

Hi!

New here but hoping someone could tell me what the options are for in the totalmix preferences. Trying to post an image but can't figure out how to do it sorry..

It looks like this in preferences:

Level Meters

Full scale samples for OVR

Peak and hold time

RMS +3db

I'm routing digital signal out from fireface ucx through external DA converter to bus compressor back via external AD-converter but having issues with fireface hardware input signal. It says OVR and the 3db box was clicked by default

If anyone could explain this to me that would be really great.

Many thanks,
Stef

Re: Totalmix preferences

I should probably also mention I am using a soft limiter on the external  AD converter so signal should not clip in RME input, but it seems like it is.

TotalMix includes the usual help where you can find this explained. Of course it is also explained in the UCX manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Do you work for RME?

MC wrote:

TotalMix includes the usual help where you can find this explained. Of course it is also explained in the UCX manual.

It would be so great to get to the bottom of this, I have read the manual but I still can't understand why the AS 1/2 input level can show OVR in red when receiving signal from an external AD with soft limiter on. How can it distort in fireface?

Would be so great if you would clarify this to me, and would save me distorted mixes on a whole project and days of headscratching? I could pay for a phonecall via paypal or something if needed I just really need to understand how this works.

Thanks,
Stefan

Contact RME support, they can explain that on the phone if necessary.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The OVR indicator reacts to a (configurable) number of full scale samples. The digital input will show the signal as it comes from your converter, so if levels reach 0 dBFS, you will have to fix that before the AD conversion.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The OVR indicator reacts to a (configurable) number of full scale samples. The digital input will show the signal as it comes from your converter, so if levels reach 0 dBFS, you will have to fix that before the AD conversion.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK thanks so much that makes things more clear.

Best,
Stefan