1 (edited by Tobias T 2018-10-16 11:25:08)

Topic: MIDI problem: Micstasy + Octamic XTC with Fireface UFX+

Hello,

I use Micsatsy with ID 1 and Octamic XTC with ID2 (as stageboxes), connected serially by MADI to the Fireface UFX+, which is connected to my Laptop via USB.
Micstasy is controlled via midiremote, Octamic XTC is controlled via Totalmix FX (or by another midiremote window).

Problem:
1. Originally, all yellow control LED's on the Octamic are permanently on. As soon as I start midiremote for the Micsatsy, the Control MIDI Out LED at the Octamic XTC starts flashing.
2. After a while, the Octamic XTC receives unwanted MIDI information like "switch on the pad for channels 1/2", and midiremote shows a gain on Micstasy channel No. 8 and others, which does not exist in reality.
So some unwanted MIDI info is sent around and misinterpreted.

What's still wrong here?

Thx
Tobias

Re: MIDI problem: Micstasy + Octamic XTC with Fireface UFX+

You can't use the MIDI Remote and TM FX integration for XTC at the same time. One or the other.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. How shall I read the advice:

"You can't use the MIDI Remote and (TM FX integration for XTC) at the same time."
or
"You can't use (the MIDI Remote and TM FX integration) for XTC at the same time."
?

In other words:
Can I use midiremote for the Micstasy and TM FX for the Octamic XTC at the same time?
Can I use midiremote for the Micstasy and midiremote for the Octamic XTC t the same time?
(I do not use midiremote for the Octamic XTC and TM FX for the Octamic XTC at the same time.)

Thx
Tobias

Tobias T wrote:

Thank you. How shall I read the advice:

"You can't use the MIDI Remote and (TM FX integration for XTC) at the same time."
or
"You can't use (the MIDI Remote and TM FX integration) for XTC at the same time."
?

As far as I can see it, he meant case 2. I guess that case 2 might cause a concurrency issue.

However I wonder if your setup and use case with remote controlling different RME device models over MADI is actually possible at all right now. At least I have seen other people on the forum struggling to get such a hybrid MADI remote setup to work:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27587

Do you have any real advantage with the Micstasy over the XTC by the way? I decided to go with a stack of XTCs here. Never tried the Micstasy.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-11-03 15:08:21)

Tobias T wrote:

Hello,

I use Micsatsy with ID 1 and Octamic XTC with ID2 (as stageboxes), connected serially by MADI to the Fireface UFX+, which is connected to my Laptop via USB.
Micstasy is controlled via midiremote, Octamic XTC is controlled via Totalmix FX (or by another midiremote window).

Problem:
1. Originally, all yellow control LED's on the Octamic are permanently on. As soon as I start midiremote for the Micsatsy, the Control MIDI Out LED at the Octamic XTC starts flashing.
2. After a while, the Octamic XTC receives unwanted MIDI information like "switch on the pad for channels 1/2", and midiremote shows a gain on Micstasy channel No. 8 and others, which does not exist in reality.
So some unwanted MIDI info is sent around and misinterpreted.

What's still wrong here?

Thx
Tobias

Seems to be a race condition, I have seen the same.

I can only propose to use either "AUX device" or "MIDI remote", but not both at the same time on one MADI bus.

Shall you have HDSPe MADI / FX it might perhaps help to use the one or the other remote control solution per bus.

To be able to control all devices and all parameters it might be an advantage to use MIDI remote for all devices.

If you have more XTCs than Micstasy's then you maybe want to go "AUX device" to be able to store settings in TM FX snapshots.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Tobias T wrote:

Am I right in thinking you'll also need to set the XTC to ID1 (because Micstasy runs 1-8, XTC 0-7) for it to behave predictably?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk