Topic: Babyface Pro/iMac i7. Getting output to phones but not 1/2-Mains

Hi all,
I have done searches but can not find an answer..

I just got the iMac last week and the Babyface came in last night.  I set it up with Totalmix and am able to monitor with headphones.  I am getting signal on to Totalmix from a songfile I am playing from iTunes.  It works just fine going in to the cans.  I just got my monitors in today and set them up via XLR to the Babyface Pro.  I followed the procedure in the manual.  I selected CH1/2 output, hit select and am able to set the levels but no signal is going in to the Babyface.  I return to "Phones" and signal is operating just fine.  What the heck am I doing wrong?
Monitors are Adam T7v's.
Thanks

Re: Babyface Pro/iMac i7. Getting output to phones but not 1/2-Mains

There is no Select in TotalMix FX. Is there any signal going to AN 1/2 Hardware Output at all?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, on the unit, there is not signal going to AN 1/2.  In fact, on the TotalMix window, AN 1/2 is not showing up in the Hardware Outputs section.  PH3/4 is there and so on and I see signal in PH3/4 strip there.

Also, I meant hitting "Select" on the Babyface unit itself.

I also have a microphone set up and it is showing up just fine through the channel in TotalMix as well.  I can hear it properly through the headphones.

Here is a screen shot.  As you can see, the AN 1/2 strip is missing from the "Hardware Outputs" section.
https://imgur.com/a/HGoBlsT

Update...
I went to the "Options" menu..
Clicked on "Reset Mix"..
Clicked on "Straight Playback, Mix to Main Out"..

I now have signal showing up on Ch 1/2 on the Babyface unit.  Still no sound from my monitors.
I now do not have a headphone mix and I can not set that back on the Babyface unit.

Okay, I hit "total reset" . That brought my headphone mix back and it also brought back AN1/2 strip back to my Hardware Outputs section.
I am now seeing signal going in to the Babyface, on to the AN1/2 section of TotalMix but no signal to my monitors.  I am using XLR outs from the Babyface to the XLR inputs of my monitors.  No sound.

emee589 wrote:

Here is a screen shot.  As you can see, the AN 1/2 strip is missing from the "Hardware Outputs" section.
https://imgur.com/a/HGoBlsT

AN 1/2 are assigned to MAIN OUT, see bottom right "Control Room".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

emee589 wrote:

Okay, I hit "total reset" . That brought my headphone mix back and it also brought back AN1/2 strip back to my Hardware Outputs section.
I am now seeing signal going in to the Babyface, on to the AN1/2 section of TotalMix but no signal to my monitors.  I am using XLR outs from the Babyface to the XLR inputs of my monitors.  No sound.

You do not seem to understand the very easy basic concept of TM FX submix mode.

1. Ensure submix mode is enabled.
2. Click to an HW output and then for this output (=submix) adjust the faders of
- HW inputs (top row of faders), that are the signals as they arrive from your recording interfaces inputs
- SW playback (middle row of faders), signals coming from the applications (Windows, DAW, WDM devices)

1st thing I would do is to assign (see button "assign" in the control room section) the outputs for
- main out (usually AN 1/2)
- Phones1

Then you have the output channels for main out (monitors) and phones in the control room section.

Next is to click to "Main Out", create your submix as explained above, store it to Snapshot1, renamit it to "Monitors"
Next is to click to "Phones 1", create your submix as explained above, store it to Snapshot2, renamit it to "Phones 1"

Save workspace, snapshot and save to quick workspace select.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Here a blog article that I wrote how to setup TM FX
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

Here a collection of nice tutorial videos from RME:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

Here something for windows user to open and close TM FX and driver settings dialog by function key on keyboard:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ndruck-DE/

12 (edited by emee589 2018-10-18 06:12:47)

Uh... +4 dbu on my monitors... Sheesh.  Okay, now I have sound.  Great. 

Now if I want to switch back to monitoring from my headphones for recording, how do I do that because it is not working by hitting "out" to "phones" anymore. Further, it looks like either AN1/2 for monitors, or PH3/4 on the display at one time?
Thanks again

I am completely new to this process. I may be ignorant for the time being of this easy process.  I will follow the advice and report back in order to determine if I am actually dumb as well. Thanks all for the advice.

14 (edited by ramses 2018-10-18 06:31:34)

Perform the routing to Main Out and save it to snapshot1
Perform the routing to Phones 1 and save it to snapshot2

Save this all (to not loose the work) by
TM FX: File -> Save Snaphot As
TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As
TM FX: Workspace Quick Select -> Save current workspace as

Makes sense to do these 2 additional TM FX settings:
F2: preferences:
(  ) Do not load Main volume/balance
(x) Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

I think all this is written down in detail in my TM FX primer.