Topic: 32 kHz sample rates?

Is it possible to add compatibility with 32 khz SPDIF sample rates?

Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2018-10-24 11:42:48)

Re: 32 kHz sample rates?

Did you check already handbook ?

Chapter 22.2 SPDIF

The ADI-2 Pro’s SPDIF channel status has been implemented according to IEC60958:
32 / 44.1 / 48 kHz, 88.2 / 96 kHz, 176.4 / 192 kHz depending on the current sample rate
Audio use, Non-Audio
No Copyright, Copy Permitted
Format Consumer
Category General, Generation not indicated
2-channel, No Emphasis
Aux bits Audio Use

I see there 32 kHz supported.

Or did you mean something different ? Then pls. explain more in detail.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the quick reply.

I should have been more specific, as in, I'm primarily interested in the ADI-2 DAC. I don't know how similar it is to the ADI-2 PRO. I first looked at the webpage for the ADI-2 DAC and found this:

"• Internally supported sample rates: 44.1 kHz up to 768 kHz"

I took that to mean that 32 kHz was not supported. However, I see also:

"• Supported sample rates for external clocks: 28 kHz up to 200 kHz"

I take that to mean it will support 32 kHz via SPDIF. Looking at the manual:

14.1.2 Clock

"With USB the internal clock is used, with SPDIF the external one. "

"The unit's internal clock supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384, 705.6 and 768 kHz.
When clocked externally the ADI-2 DAC will recognize and handle other frequencies for DA
conversion as well, for example 32, 64 and 128 kHz."

I had not known, until now, that external clocks = SPDIF. My fault for not doing more research but I appreciate your help!

The ADI-2 Pro and DAC support only the sample rates listed under 'Internal' even when clocking externally. While the hardware is able to handle any rate, the necessary support in hardware and drivers made us remove sample rates that nobody uses. If you have an application for 32 kHz then sorry. That sample rate is as outdated as the converters which supported it.

I will update the text in the manuals.

For historical reasons the upcoming ADI-2 FS does have support for all these unusual sample rates. But it's not a USB device.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

IMHO if you need to transfer 32khz files from something like a dat recorder (i did years ago) it is best to use the analogue outs of the dat recorder. The records are not 16 bit linear, but 12 bit compressed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I have a Super Nintendo modified to output a 32 khz spdif signal. Yes the old video game console from the 90's. I can change the existing mod to another which instead upsamples the signal to 96 khz. With the SNES being my favorite console of all time I'm dying to hear how it will sound on a high quality dac.