Topic: Babyface (not Pro) and sysex

I just bought a VST editor for my Nord Lead 2X synth and can't get it to work right. The problem is that only some of the sysex midi messages goes through to the 2X. I've tried the editor on two different computers and have gotten the same result which leads me to think, that the problem must be the Babyface.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Are there any midi settings I should adjust that I'm not aware of?

Re: Babyface (not Pro) and sysex

It would help if you could send us a list of SysEx commands that seem blocked. We could then check our driver for it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Which VST Editor do you use?

MC wrote:

It would help if you could send us a list of SysEx commands that seem blocked. We could then check our driver for it.

It's concerning a Nord Lead 2 editor from Rekon. I took a screen shot, here are two of the commands that don't get through. Every other function work great

https://ufile.io/bwka5

Since this is a VST, which host software (DAW) do you use?

Cubase, but I want to use it as standalone mostly

MC wrote:

Will you please check your driver at some point? It must be the Babyface causing this problem, all the other midi messages goes through except these two and I have the exact same problem on two different computers.

If the picture of the sysex files in my upload isn't adequate (link in my 2nd post in this thread), please let me know what you want me to do instead

Please be patient, this needs a few days to examine.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I apologize for my ignorance

Do you only send Sysex over the Midi driver, or is it mixed with realtime messages like notes (even over other Midi channels)?

I do both

12 (edited by Timur Born 2018-10-30 12:26:52)

Could you try to only send Sysex for testing? Absolutely make sure that no other messages are mixed in.

Also check if Cubase the Midi ports are set to "WindowsMidi" or to "DirectMusic" and whether it makes a difference for the problem.

I have tried sending only sysex and the result is the same. The midi ports out are set to Directmusic so that's not the issue. Like I say, it happens in standalone too, which is how I'm going to be using the editor the most once I get it to work

Please try "Windows Midi" anyway. In the past (2011) there have been issues with sending Sysex of several hundred bytes via Directmusic. This was solved in Windows 7, but maybe it came back to haunt us.

Then there were also issues of mixing Sysex with realtime messages via MME (Windows Midi).

I will do some tests report back.

doesn't do anything unfortunately. It's a mystery

16 (edited by Timur Born 2018-11-06 10:26:47)

Turns out that mixing Sysex with realtime messages still causes the same issues using MME/Windows Midi. So maybe I measured wrong in 2011 or the problem returned to Windows (or my measuring software just fails at this). Anyway, since you are using DirectMusic in Cubase this should not be the culprit.

I have been testing sending Sysex messages in a loop on my Babyface for hours using MME and DM with no blatant errors occurring. That does not mean that no driver bugs can exist, it just means that my testing method did not catch any (yet). Time to get one of my old synths out of the basement and do some Sysex dumps.

Questions:

- Which version of Windows are you using?
- Did you try to dump Sysex from/to the Nord Lead using a different program?
- Do the errors only occur one way (PC to Nord Lead) or also the other way around?

thanks for the help!

I'm on Windows 10 on my music computer. I've also installed the editor on another Windows 10 computer and I run into the same problem

Midi/OX works well here and the editor also works well for the most part EXCEPT for just a couple of sysex messages. When I turn the filter knob on the editor the synth corresponds, same when I change waveform etc. But the functions I need the most: Randomize and changing sounds for some odd reason do not get through to the synth.

As far as I can tell the error only occurs with the above mentioned messages. Everything works fine from the synth to the editor it seems.

It's really strange. The guy from Rekon has never seen this problem occuring

Is changing sounds done via Sysex?

It can be done with that yes.

20 (edited by Timur Born 2018-11-08 19:58:00)

You could get yourself a basic USB-Midi adapter to test whether this is a RME or setup specific problem. After hours of testing both MME and DirectMusic I have not been able to produce meaningful errors. Combining Sysex with Realtime messages via MME is problematic when Sysex messages are bigger than 480 bytes, at least using the Miditest software, but you specifically used DirectMusic in Cubase, so this should not be the culprit.

Did you test yet if sending pure Sysex without anything else works, though?

It doesn't. I think we should give up. Seems impossible to get to the bottom of this unfortunately. Thanks a lot for the effort!

Would have been easier if I had a Nord Lead to test it on. wink