Topic: Combining UFX firewire connection and UFX ii possible?

As i experienced occasional stutter problems with windows 10 1803 and USB, i wonder if i could use the Firewire connection from my old UFX, which never gave me problems, to connect and combine it with the UFX ii. Any tips? USB ARC still functioning then? F

2 (edited by ramses 2018-11-11 10:58:01)

Re: Combining UFX firewire connection and UFX ii possible?

You can connect the UFX via Firewire and the USB II via ADAT to the UFX and
then route the channels of interest through ADAT.

But you need to be aware of these two things:
- you can route audio channels only inside of each TM FX instance and
- you need to take care that both interfaces always use the same ASIO buffer size

The UFX II you can keep connected permanently to be able to control the interface via TM FX.
Either keep it this way or store the routing in one of the six standalone profiles of the UFX II.

You have then to work with 2 TM FX instances. One for the UFX, one for the UFX II.

In regards to ARC USB. I assume that you want to connect your monitors/phones to the UFX II.
In this case it makes sense to remote control the UFX II by the ARC USB.

If you want or need to connect the ARC USB to the PC, then you need to
- disable ARC USB in the TM FX instance of the UFX
- enable ARC USB in the FM FX instance of the UFX II
and of course keep the UFX II connected via USB to your PC (otherwise TM FX can't interface with the UFX II).

The simplest way would be to connect the ARC USB to the back of the UFX II, then you do not need to enable/disable ARC USB in the two instances and can also operate the UFX II in standalone mode if you want.

Be aware of, that this routing of channels is a little bit add-on work. I personally used such a scenario as well (UFX connected to RayDAT): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ME-RayDAT/

The best solution would be IMHO, to fix the USB issues.

Did you open already a thread to troubleshoot this ?
Did you try already all USB2 and USB3 ports ?
Are you aware of, that you should use preferrably ports from chipset (AMD or Intel depending on your CPU/mainboard)
and not from 3rd party USB controllers on board ?

Did you already try the Sonnet card with FL1100 USB3 chip that can fully isolate the recording interfaces from other USB2/3 infrastructure on your board and which uses a driver with a more efficient interrupt handling method (MSI, message shared interrupts).

For me the Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E solved issues that I got after conneting USB devices like Bluetooth adapters and USB3 bridges. I don't know what these devices cause. I can only tell that before connecting those I had no issues connecting two UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro to my system using the USB ports of my Intel C612 chipset. After connecting those devices I got occasionally audio drops.
Connecting the two UFX+ and the ADI-2 Pro to the Sonnet card, which has 4 (!) dedicated USB3 chips per port (4) solved all of these issues.

If you do not intend to connect more than one recording interface then maybe the cheaper version of this card is better for you, it has only one USB3 controller on board, all 4 ports share the same USB3 controller.

The more advanced/expensive card, 4x FL1100 USB3 controller, needs PCIe socket with 4 PCIe lanes:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html

The cheaper card, 1x FL1100 USB3 controller, can be placed into any PCIe socket with only 1 PCIe lane:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html

These cards require a driver for Windows 7 (I use FLUSB3.0-3.6.9.0a without any issues).
For Windows 10 the driver is already included, Fresco Loggic recommends to try the integrated driver 1st.
Otherwise you find also for Win10 a Fresco Logic driver on this Download Page:
https://support.frescologic.com/portal/ … st-drivers

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by fiddler2007 2018-11-11 11:28:58)

Re: Combining UFX firewire connection and UFX ii possible?

Hello Ramses, thanks for your extensive reply .... just again after an hour or so AGAIN audio stuttering working with Cubase, UFX ii only, got the 4 controller Sonnet Fresco Logic card, with one separate bus used for the UFX ii (you recommended that earlier). Switched off all USB power shutdown options in device manager, CPU set 100% fully also. Tried all sorts of settings with my AMD Radeon r7 360 drivers installation. You cannot switch off hardware acceleration BTW, in my windows 64bit 1803 pro version; getting really fed up with windows 10 and AMD by now.  NVDIA seems to have similar issues BTW.

PS Thanks for the tip on the updated Fresco Logic drivers, did now know that, i'll install them ...