Topic: Change settings of FF800 via USB (no Thunderbolt, no Firewire etc.)

Hi guys,

I've got a very old PC that I keep only for the sake of it's Firewire port for my FF800... It is falling apart literally and I really need to renew some hardware sooner or later and want to keep my beloved FF800 as AD/DA converter (via ADAT). But sometimes it will be necessary to change settings etc...

I don't need an error-free connection for audio use as such, but is there any way at all to connect a FF800 to a modern PC laptop (without Firewire, nor Thunderbolt, nor extension card slots at all...) via USB 2 or 3 just for accessing the settings every now an then?

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!
laex

DC rules!

Re: Change settings of FF800 via USB (no Thunderbolt, no Firewire etc.)

Sorry, no, you will need Firewire at the end of the connection.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick reply! Of course I need some kind of adapter or thingamabob in between - does some USB to Firewire adapter exist that someone has tried...?

There are simple cables on amazon (for use with camcorders for example), but I guess that cannot be an option, could it?

Thanks again and best regards
laex

DC rules!

No, there is no working USB/FW adapter. These simple devices are actually USB only, for certain devices (cameras, if I'm not mistaken) that will do some kind of USB over FW).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK, thanks, that's what I knew but what I didn't want to face...

If someone else knows or finds a genius USB to Firewire box (even without "fast" or "stable" connection for audio use), I'd be really happy!
wink

All the best
laex

DC rules!