Topic: ADI-2 DAC firmware update questions

Hello,

Brand new to both this forum and to the RME product line.  I'm expecting to receive a ADI-2 DAC tomorrow and have a couple questions regarding firmware updates.  I will be using the DAC strictly as a DAC in a 2-channel stereo all-digital system.  The DAC will be connected to a USB source (a Sonore microRendu).

1.  Are updates cumulative?  Not knowing which firmware version my unit will come with, I'm wondering if I do need to install the September 27 update (DAC 23) will this also include any previous updates or, if it's necessary, do I need to install each uninstalled update separately in sequence?

2.  I'm not super tech-savvy and want to understand how the update process works.  I will be downloading and installing firmware updates from a Windows 10 PC which is NOT the device that the DAC will be connected to for playing music. 

I understand that I will need to first download the firmware update on my Win 10 PC and extract the files. Beyond that I'm not quite as clear as to what happens.

I'm assuming I'll power the DAC on and connect it to the Win 10 machine via USB.  After that, can someone give me the simple step-by-step procedure as to how to upload the firmware from the PC to the DAC, or is this all going to be obvious as soon as the DAC is connected to the Win 10 PC?

Thanks to anyone for their assistance!

R

Re: ADI-2 DAC firmware update questions

Hello,

1. Yes, just get the latest firmware updater.

2. If you want to update firmware while connected to the PC, you will also need to install the MADIface Series driver on the PC.

can someone give me the simple step-by-step procedure as to how to upload the firmware from the PC to the DAC

Install the driver, restart the PC when prompted. After restart, run the executable Flash Update Tool to reprogram firmware. Power cycle the DAC for the update to become active.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by rpgroman 2018-11-20 18:35:10)

Thanks Jeff.  So is the correct MADIface driver that I should download/install the one from  titled
driver_madinet_win_09680.zip?

R

4 (edited by ramses 2018-11-21 17:40:39)

EDIT: 21.11.2018

Having access problems to the forum, I am unable to post, "access denied".
So I hope you find my corrected post below:

1st of all sorry for having confused you appearently with my 1st answer "yes".
I had tired eyes yesterday evening and the driver names looked so similar.... wink

Please look here now, where you have to look for
1. Driver
2. Firmware

I hope by this you get your issue resolved, otherwise please re-ask.

The handbook tells you all this in detail, please read:
- chapter 20 - how to perform MADIface driver upgrade,
- chapter 7 - how to perform Firmware upgrade.

Chapter 7 also informs you, that you need to install the MADIface driver 1st, before performing a firmware upgrade.

Good luck !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhkw1mluff2802i/2018-11-21%20ADI%20Driver.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Excellent, thank you Ramses.

R

????

Why should someone install a MADI Net driver that is explicitely labelled as Digiface Dante and AVB driver? For the ADI-2 series there is a driver without net.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

So, I'm definitely confused.  In order to update the firmware in my new unit, do I need to download a driver to my PC, or not?  If so, which one? 

If not, then do I just download fut_madiface_win, connect the ADI-2 DAC to my PC and then simply run the download in order to update the firmware?

Thank you!

R

Ramses explained everything perfectly...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Ramses explained everything perfectly...

Many thanks :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by N00b 2018-11-21 19:34:11)

rpgroman wrote:

Hi MC,

So, I'm definitely confused. [...]

Please read the manual, you won't be confused anymore!! You will find the answer by yourself. 2 paragraphs to read... And it's faster than posting on this forum, and you won't bother anyone...
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf
(page 11, part 7: "Firmware update")
#RTFM

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

11 (edited by ramses 2018-11-21 20:02:50)

N00b wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hi MC,

So, I'm definitely confused. [...]

Please read the manual, you won't be confused anymore!! You will find the answer by yourself. 2 paragraphs to read... And it's faster than posting on this forum, and you won't bother anyone...
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf
(page 11, part 7: "Firmware update")
#RTFM

Who is bothered ?? Me not ;-)

BTW .. pls see updated post #4 wink
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 13#p135813

Thank you, again Ramses.  That was very helpful.  Now I understand.  My DAC will be arriving later today (here in the USA) and I will try to work through the firmware update process after it gets here.

There is a bit of a learning curve with a new device from a new company (at least they're new to me!).  wink

R

My DAC came with firmware 21 and the update to 23 went easily, without any problems.

Thanks again for the assistance.

R

You're welcome, enjoy your new device wink