Topic: Babyface pro, Dell Xps 15, Windows 10, Ableton Live, cracks & pops

Hi,
I am running a Dell XPS 15 9550 with a babyface pro connected to an individual USB out, with Ableton Live 10.0.5
I followed all instructions I find on the focusrite website regarding win 10 settings for audio optimisation.
Unfortunately it is not possible to use the interface with Buffersizes below 128 samples without cracking and popping even with low cpu load (less than 30%) and just a pair of stereo out.
I bought the interface just because I had an awesome experience with a multiface connected to the cardbus ages ago. I dont need more than stereo in and stereo out but was hoping to get a much better Performance. The system is running an i7, 16 Gig Ram, and a 512 gig pcie ssd so it is very unlikely due to lack of performance. Is there any detailled Tutorial by rme on how to configure the system properly? All drivers and firmware is / are up to Date.
Thanks for helping.
Cheers,
Jens

Re: Babyface pro, Dell Xps 15, Windows 10, Ableton Live, cracks & pops

are you in balanced power mode or high performance mode? this only option can make a huge difference

I use a 9550 myself, the lower version with i5 CPU, now on 1809. Can use 64 samples buffer size with no problem. To use 32 I have to enter the BIOS and disable the S3 mode. The BF Pro is not to blame here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by yentzee 2019-01-15 15:24:43)

Using high performance mode.
@MC: Could you explain how you configured the system / bios to work it without problems?
I changed the settings according to the tutorial on the focusrite site.
It also seems not to occur constantly.
Cheers,
Jens

I did not do anything to Windows except High Performance mode. These days special settings should not be necessary. If you have temporary problems check it with Latency Monitor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I did not do anything to Windows except High Performance mode. These days special settings should not be necessary. If you have temporary problems check it with Latency Monitor.

Just googled Latency Monitor. Is this a special programm which is called like this or can this be done with any latency monitor program (there seem to be different ones)? Does it clearly show what is causing problems? And if so is there any place where I can check what the problem causing task is and find out if and how I can stop it?
Sorry for asking the obvious but I don't know much more about operating systems than the stuff needed to use audiosoftware.
I made a clean install and switched to uefi and tried to just add drivers that I thought are important but for some I just couldn't tell.

Thanks for helping smile

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks smile