Topic: Desperate to move away from Mac and Windows

I am trying to move all my music production to linux but it is very difficult.

There is no vendor of ready made pc linux systems specifically for audio / music.

Thunderbolt audio interfaces are in many ways the best solution, but there are no audio interface vendors that support linux for thunderbolt. PCIe, is almost as bad.

VST vendors also for the most part refuse to support linux.

So we users are trapped. Please help us.

Lack of linux support is keeping me from purchasing your hardware even though I know it is the best. I am sure I am not alone.

Re: Desperate to move away from Mac and Windows

GNU/Linux is very DIY as you've found out. But with great power gives great opportunity and I guess responsibility.

So, that said, KX Studio has been the most recommended distro. However, falkTX's on a break and only provides repos and some software at the current point in time. Not a full distro. Things will come easier after awhile, play on a spare laptop/computer and things will be easier.

A distro is like an OS but it's just a version of Linux. And most popular distros are based on Debian. That is, Ubuntu and also KXStudio (the distro not currently available). That is where I'd start if I was at the beginning.

All Class Compliant USB audio devices work well. RME has CC mode devices but I'm not clear on what functionality has been removed for this to be available. Behringer USB work well on Linux as they don't require special modes to work (don't need to set parameters on Win/Mac) and believe it or not don't sound bad. Fireface 400/800 are working and UCX has a kernel entry but if you're not familiar with Linux I'd stay away from firewire devices for now.

Hope this helps

GNU/Linux

I have been using Linux and UNIX for more than 15 years. I conclude Linux is less annoying than Windows for many things but for two things WIndows will remain superior, audio and video.

There are no widely available highres music players for Linux. Linux sound system can have many pieces in the way and it is very hard to diagnose problems like downsampling and other mangling of music between your player and some USB device. I think there is no advantage to Linux for audio or video and it's not worth trying.

In my case I bought a small quiet PC (Lenovo M710Q) and on it I have Tidal and Deezer desktop apps and foobar2000. With this I have official driver support for my Oppo, Audiolab, FiiO, Chord, etc. and everything works fantastic. I can also use these devices on Linux but no driver support and I can't get bit-perfect or high bit rate DSD.

@Tubeaudio

A decade ago I would have agreed with you about audio on linux. Today, I'm happily running Reaper on Lubuntu. ALSA with Jack is rock solid. I'm sure if you throw unknown average hardware at it, you'll run into problems. For me, it was the first install for audio that will be used. Previous tests always ended in despair.

I've been running Debian and BSD since like, forever. Command line only, no audio.

The next hurdle is testing the FF400 with Lubuntu. Firewire & audio worked out of the box with Linux. FW audio didn't work with Windows before. That was the reason the laptop was dumped by it's previous owner.

I guess I'll still be stuck with a Mac, as bridge, for a while. If only RME would release TotalMix for Linux...

The end goal is running Reaper 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi with a touch screen. 8 inputs, 8 outputs over USB 1.1.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

5 (edited by Codesound 2019-12-22 16:33:59)

Hi @gminorcoles .... sorry for my loooong time response, but only now I see this post....

I abandoned Windows10 for lot of reasons one year ago. I switched on Linux Mint Cinnamom because this sys is very very stable and the support is very well.... To prepare the pc for real-time audio productions, you need to:

1. Install the Linux low latency Kernel

sudo apt install linux-lowlatency

2. Configure real time access...
    Add your current user to the audio group:         

sudo adduser USERNAME audio

3. And then give the audio group real time access:
    open terminal in:  /etc/security/limits.d/
        With the terminal opened in this path, create audio.conf file

sudo touch audio.conf 

Add this 2 lines to the file audio.conf:

sudo nano audio.conf                 

@audio - rtprio 99                 
                        @audio - memlock unlimited 

(You may have to restart your System here.)

4. Install pulseaudio-module-jack     

sudo apt install pulseaudio-module-jack  

When working with JACK, make sure you choose your default output device to "Jack Pulseaudio sink". You should now hear the output from JACK and Pulseaudio (Browser etc.) together.

5. Install from Ubuntu Software Center qjackctl when is required, allow qjackctl for real time process

6. INSTALL WINEHQ-DEVEL     

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386     
    wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key     
    sudo apt-key add winehq.key     
    sudo apt-add-repository (this forum allows me to post only 1 url BUT search on google "winehq.key" and go to the winehq page: in this page you find the lost url in the "Download and add the repository key:" section)
    sudo apt update     
    sudo apt upgrade     
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport     
    sudo apt update     
    sudo apt upgrade     
    sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel

7.LIBRARY for some VST-PLUGIN fonts:     

sudo apt install winetricks     
        winetricks     
        winetricks -q mfc42     
        winetricks -q corefonts

8. Install INDICATOR-CPUFREQ (Performance o Powersave mode for CPU)     

sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq

now your system is almost ready:

you need to use LinVST or LinVST3 to bridging the Windows VST plugins: download it and run the bridging....

PS: I use the RME UCX in Compliant Mode

If you hawe other questions, please answer me:

in my opinion the only thing that drives a lot of people to speak / write badly about Linux is their ignorance of this fantastic system!

I see you master linux audio very well, maybe you could help, since I am stuck. I also switched to Linux 2 years ago after being thoroughly annoyed by Windows 10 (which still is in dual boot however).
I am having trouble with Ubuntu 18.04 and a RME 9632 card (it is card 0, card 1 is the built in sound of the mainboard, which unfortunately cannot be deactivated in Bios but did not give me trouble with Linux and other sound cards). I want to do simple Audio playback (from Streaming source or local file) and route the output to the 2 anolog out (RCA) channels (to my amplifier). Card is recognized. I started hdspconf, settings seem to be ok, only buffer size settings are missing (compared to Totalaudio). I opened hdspmixer and tried the preconfigured profiles. Profile 2 is somewhat working, but with some strange glitch. Whenever I start playing music (across all channels) reproducably the first 7 seconds are distorted, like sound echoing almost (amplitude oscillating), then it is mostly playing ok, only some occasional cracking, especially in sequences of high dynamic.
I was thinking it had got something to do with buffer size settings, but which cannot easily be done obviously. I searched the web and found differently configured .asoundrc files with dmix subroutines containing buffer sizes. I tried several, but the oscillating first 7 sec are still occuring (although cracking was reduced).
I then booted up Windows 10 64 bit built 1903, installed the driver (which updated the Bios of the card), rebooted, started totalmixer. I also found profile 2 to work, chosing the right output in Windows menu (when you click at the loud speaker symbol). And it works, no problems at all, totally smoothly ...

I am really frustrated because I love Linux and do not want to switch back to Windows, but I bought the 9632 (second hand) and obviously want to make use of its fantastic sound!
Any suggestions how to solve the issues in Ubuntu?