Topic: Fireface 400 working with MacBookPro 2018 (Mojave)

I used the search function, but didn find the answers I am looking for.

I have a Fireface 400 with an Firewire 400 connector. Unforunately my good old working horse, a old Macbook from 2011 was damaged physically with no chance of repair.
Now I have a new ( and expensive) MacBookPro 2018 with Mojave as OS.

My first problem is the connection. I have only USB-C (=Thunderbolt3) on my new MacBook. I didnt find a possibility to adapt directly from USB-C to Firewire 400.
Any experiences and recomandations for me?
I see two possibilities:
A) USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter + Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire Adpater
B) USB-C to USB-Adapter + USB to Firewire Adapter

A) would be much more expensive, but i dont know which of the two solutions really would work?

What I know is that I have to us  external powering for my FF400 because the voltage of the USB-C (plus Cables..) will be too low.

Please no suggestions like " use a Windows Computer instead of an expensive Apple.." because I am working with Logic Pro.

THANK YOU for Your help (and sorry for my not perfect english)

Re: Fireface 400 working with MacBookPro 2018 (Mojave)

Option B does not exist / does not work. Option A is also possible via a dock (which is even more expensive, of course. OWC TB3 dock).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Option B does not exist / does not work. Option A is also possible via a dock (which is even more expensive, of course. OWC TB3 dock).

MC, Thank You for the answer and the advice for a dock. BUT i cannot find any OWC TB3 with the option that i get a Thunderbolt 2 or directly a Firewire..?

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3DK13PSL/

Looks like you are too late. OWC had bought the whole rest of TI FW800 chips to deliver a dock with perfect and most compatible FireWire. I have it. Supply of these chips seem to have run out, and now the dock will have no FireWire anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If you prefer a dock over the two adapters (which also works without any issues btw), you can look for a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 Dock with Firewire 800. there are/were more options on the market then for the new Thunderbolt 3. I recently bought one by Akitio for 70€ on eBay which is working fine. Of course you will then need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter for connecting the Dock to your Mac.

As the new Macs have problems with USB 2.0 interfaces, it might still be the best way to stick to the Fireface 400 and get some dock/adapter(s).

6 (edited by dubbio 2019-03-23 22:16:07)

MC wrote:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3DK13PSL/

Looks like you are too late. OWC had bought the whole rest of TI FW800 chips to deliver a dock with perfect and most compatible FireWire. I have it. Supply of these chips seem to have run out, and now the dock will have no FireWire anymore.

Following the link above and scrolled down to the table with specs shows FW800 chipset as LSI FW643E2  (not TI).
..so if that dock is working fine, any card or dock with that LSI chipset should do as well.