Topic: MIDI v 2.0

Just read on Bonedo that MIDI 2.0 is on the way. Not sure whether it''s really on the market, sounded more as if the standard is amended now.

Do you have already an idea when this will be available on the market and in particular for RME devices and whether all existing RME devices can be upgraded by firmware?

Many thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: MIDI v 2.0

MIDI 2.0 requires new hardware. It is not possible to update our units with it, and honestly the next units won't get it either. I expect users not to need an additional MIDI 2.0 port, as the used MIDI hardware will have one already (over USB).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-02-14 13:04:08)

Re: MIDI v 2.0

Ok many thanks for this information.

Sounds then like a dead horse the new standard if you and maybe also other vendor expect that MIDI communication is mainly being performed via USB.

It's sad, because I like MIDI over USB as it is a chip/communication protocol which is dedicated for this purpose, from this I expect more rebustness compared to an USB communication where we see already incompatibilities like with ASMedia chipsets, etc.

Maybe similar as PS/2 vs USB for keyboards.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13