1 (edited by Luckbad 2019-03-03 17:23:43)

Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC: Feature Requests

I love how you folks continue to upgrade your firmware as time goes on. You've kindly put in more than one of my requests already, so thank you for that!

I thought it would be useful to put together a thread with feature requests. Hopefully most of them are realistic and not too difficult. Even if nothing comes of it, thank you for what you've done anyway!

- Remote Remap Function - DA Filter: I'd love to be able to cycle through the DA Filter on the fly. Some tracks are better with different filters.

- Remote Remap Function - Crossfeed: Sometimes I like to change the Crossfeed setting, and I can't currently do that on the remote.

- Main Volume Button Remap: Stock, pressing the massive Volume button does nothing, and the only function I know it has is changing outputs. Can we map this to Mute or even Dim? That would be more useful to me because I never use it to change outputs.

- XLR (or RCA) Output Volume Setting: Sometimes, I like testing amps/preamps using the ADI-2 DAC. When I do so, I use both the XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously. Since the XLR output is 6dB higher, I always have to be a little more creative to volume match. It would be nice if I could drop the XLR output volume by 6dB to match the RCA when I'm doing this.

Anyone else have possibly-reasonable suggestions?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-03 16:48:35)

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC: Feature Requests

> Remote Remap Function: I'd love to be able to cycle through the DA Filter on the fly.
> Some tracks are better with different filters

The remappable keys on the remote control can recall setup 1..9.
Store the different DA filter settings to i.e. setup 1-5.
Then you can remap the remote control to recall 4 out of 5 filters as you need.

Please note: I read somewhere that the human brain is unable to remember sound differences over a few seconds.
So you need to perform quick A/B tests between mainly two settings, before you compare between another set.
So the 4 remappable keys should be more than enough to compare your favourite settings with i.e. NOS.
Best is if you get assistence from another person and perform a blind test otherwise your brain works in a way that it has already certain expectations if you know what you select and this will adulterate the results towards how you wish they should be.

A toggle function to change between all settings would not make sense, takes too much time to change between settings that are not close to each other.
A toggle forward and backward would also need 2 keys and then you could also only quickly A/B between DA filter 1+2, 2+3 and so on but not between 1 and 3 ...
I think it's perfect like it is.

Once you tested everything I am pretty convinced that you will stay anyway with one setting.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win7 Prof, Cubase 9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB

3 (edited by Luckbad 2019-03-03 17:19:17)

I don't actually need the filter cycle key for testing. I tend to switch to Sharp for pop music, metal, and alternative. I use Slow for acoustic, jazz, and classical.

I'm aware that you can program the buttons to swap between full setups but I'm usually not after that, and I tend to use most of the buttons frequently.

I currently have them mapped to: cycle top screens, auto dark, toggle loudness, and toggle EQ.

I'd change my loudness button to either cycle crossfeed or cycle filter if available.

I'll experiment with the recall setup function. If that can also change remote remap functions with the setup change, I'll be able to simulate what I'm after.

My main feature request is a jitter measurement, similar to bit-perfect tests but showing jitter in ns instead. That would help a lot in setup and when optimizing sound quality.

One must be really out of this world to not realize that measuring jitter requires specialized equipment which costs many thousands of dollars...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"Out of this world"...does that mean I am an alien? :-)

I was thinking something like this: count the master clock pulses and compare when a sample is handled compared to when its supposed to be handled (determined by the original file and sample rate). Totally in the digital domain, don't bother with clock jitter since it won't be much anyway with a femto clock.

7 (edited by Curt962 2019-03-03 19:49:59)

I prefer to listen to my Music Collection ohne obsession with Jitter Fears.  Since per the Audiophile Code: "Music is Different", and can't really be measured by Science...Jitter numbers would be meaningless when comparing the BEST Sounding Volume Knobs, Cable Colors,etc.

I DO like the independendent XLR/RCA Output Level though!   I can see a use for that!   Good Idea Luckbad!

Now, lets move onto "Audio Grade" Batteries in the Remote!   Far more "Analog-Like" Volume Changes!  smile

Magnus H, any further post of yours here on this jitter topic will be deleted as you are hijacking this thread. Same for others, stay on the topic.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Fair enough, then I have another feature quest: adjustable turn-off input voltage. The reason is that the best batteries to run a DAC is a LiFePo4 battery, and a 12V battery (4 cells) should be ideal except LiFePo4 gets damaged if drained to much. For a 12V battery that limit is 11V, so if the DAC had a adjustable turn-off voltage it would ensure the battery isn't drained to much. 3 cells is to little I think, since it will quickly go below the 9.5V input limit.

The 'switch off' voltage is a fixed hardware setting and can not be changed by firmware. I recommend Li-Ion batteries with included protection, they solve both over- and undercharge problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use some EQ to correct NOS frequency response as described by MC for 44khz and 48khz. So I have to change manually the EQ preset according the sample rate of what I’m currently litening.

It can be easier if the EQ preset could be activated only to a specific sample rate with an additional menu with obviously « All » as default value.

12 (edited by blackeye-liner 2019-04-28 12:06:26)

RME, thank you so much for ADI-2. I don't know how you did it, but you nailed it spot on to my desires (and I had to use a bunch of other solutions like audio hijacking on computer, VST equalizer etc, which is very bad and hardly usable). However, there are a few improvements that I'd like to suggest:

1) Increase PEQ bands to at least 7 or 8. Reasoning behind this is that when you do basic corrections, 3 narrow bands and 2 wide bands (bass and treble shelfs and 3 peaks, for example) will be good. If I need to dig deeper into correcting headphones, I need to cut out certain ringing frequencies, and there are at least 4 of them normally, so I barely fit into what ADI-2 DAC offers in terms of PEQ and there's no bands left for possible timbre correction, but more bands would be just perfect.

2) Introduce auto-off or sleep function, which will turn the device off after prolonged non-usage. For example, it could turn off after X amount of hours sitting idle (no buttons pressed, sound level below UFL). It heats up quite well after a few hours (nor overly so though), and it would be good to have it turn off automatically.

3) Make IEM output prioritized over Phones when IEMs are inserted over Phones (or make the setting like this). Reasoning is that I have my headphones plugged in all the time, and sometimes I plug in IEMs, and now I have to plug headphones out before I do it, and then plug IEM's in for the unit to automatically switch to IEM output and switch settings.

4) Improve automatic source selection. Current implementation voids Auto setting of source if there's lock and sync on coaxial input, so once I plug in anything working to coaxial - it's done, no Auto source. It would be nice to have it automatically recognize that even though there's a device plugged in to coaxial (or optical), there's UFL signal coming from it, and if there's meaningful signal coming from USB - select USB automatically. For now I use manual selection of source and it kind of defeats the purpose, but works.

blackeye-liner wrote:

1) Increase PEQ bands to at least 7 or 8. Reasoning behind this is that when you do basic corrections, 3 narrow bands and 2 wide bands (bass and treble shelfs and 3 peaks, for example) will be good. If I need to dig deeper into correcting headphones, I need to cut out certain ringing frequencies, and there are at least 4 of them normally, so I barely fit into what ADI-2 DAC offers in terms of PEQ and there's no bands left for possible timbre correction, but more bands would be just perfect.

I don't think that is possible due to hardware limitations. What might be possible would be to turn off bass and treble controls and then add two more bands, as this feature is a simplified two band EQ.

Doco wrote:
blackeye-liner wrote:

I don't think that is possible due to hardware limitations. What might be possible would be to turn off bass and treble controls and then add two more bands, as this feature is a simplified two band EQ.

cool idea.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win7 Prof, Cubase 9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB

Doco wrote:

Is that confirmed by developers? As far as I understand it, if EQ is performed in digital domain then all that limits the amount of bands is DSP performance, which would be a problem only if it's running on the edge of its limits as it is. MiniDSP HD has 10 bands and it doesn't seem like it runs a ton of computing power doing so, but I'm not a hardware developer to be sure about that.

Would it be possible to adjust dynamics in DSP, which would basically work as volume except non-linear:
- Let X be the amplitude of a frequency
- Let Y be the dynamics, expressed as percentage (default 100%), min 75% max 125% (or something similar)
- The new amplitude would then be calculated as X^(Y / 100.0)

Room, walls, speaker stands etc can all affect dynamic in different ways, and this could be a way to compensate. Not sure how to implement it in a convolution/DSP engine though which I assume is used inside the DAC. If combined with PEQ (if performance is enough), PEQ should be applied first.