1 (edited by BinaryAudio 2019-03-03 22:47:02)

Topic: Fireface UC: Random connection loss

Hello,

over the last 2 days, I have experienced random connection losses to my Fireface UC when I connect and turn on my Access Virus TI Snow.

I should first point out that these two devices have been playing happily together on my PC for at least 2 years but now, suddenly, there is a strange problem I cannot seem to solve.

The problem started in Cubase 10, when I started using my Virus in Total Integration mode (audio and midi via USB) in Cubase, I would see this error message at random intervals (about 1-2 times a minute, coupled with a spike in CPU usage)

http://www.binaryaudio.co.uk/files/ASIO.jpg

However, I soon discovered that the Virus only had to be switched on and the connection drops would occur. Furthermore, this behaviour is present when NO DAW is running and the Virus is simply switched on (not transmitting audio or receiving midi data from it's USB connection).

If I simply boot my PC to desktop, then turn on the Virus, I start to see the "HOST" red LED on the front of the Fireface UC illuminate at random intervals. The connection loss only happens for a split second, then the connection returns, but it causes audio drop outs when trying to make music and it even crashed the entire PC on one occasion. As soon as I put the Virus back in sleep mode, the problem stops.

I have tried removing/re-installing the Virus software and drivers, even tried moving the Virus to different USB connections (no hub, straight to my ASUS X99 Deluxe 3.1 motherboard) but the result is always the same.

The only thing that has changed recently is the driver version and firmware of the Fireface UC. I updated the drivers and firmware to the latest versions before this problem first appeared.

I have tried rolling back the drivers (not firmware) to 1165 and 1166 but the behaviour is still there. This leaves the firmware. Is it possible the firmware update is causing this? If so, is it possible to go back to an older firmware version?

EDIT: I tried booting the Fireface whilst holding in the rotary encoder to test with the "Safety BIOS" (version 86) but the problem persists, so I guess it isn't the firmware version 126 that's the problem.

I have never experienced ANY problems with the Fireface UC (or the Virus) until 2 days ago. I am running out of things to try!

I should point out that I am well aware this might be a Virus issue, so I have posted a similar message on the Access Virus user forum.

I am using Windows 10 64bit (latest version 1809) All software and drivers are up-to-date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Fireface UC: Random connection loss

Here is former version 123 for you to try:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_123.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by BinaryAudio 2019-03-04 14:08:27)

Thanks for your response, but the link is broken. I get a 404 error message:

"404

This page could not be found.

Die Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden."

I assume you fixed the link because I was able to download the version 123 firmware shortly after my previous post.

I installed the 123 firmware onto the Fireface UC but unfortunately the problem is still there.

Every time it happens it is accompanied with a CPU spike on my computer (see below)

http://www.binaryaudio.co.uk/files/CPU-spike01.jpg

I'm at a loss to know what to try next. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Download Latency Monitor from Resplendence and try to find out what causes this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by BinaryAudio 2019-03-04 21:46:26)

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I used Latency Monitor to see if i could locate the process/driver that was causing the spike.  Here are the results:

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              107.613143
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.020607
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              3571.589429
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.262032
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1639
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          513
Number of processes hit:                              35

I ran this test numerous times and on 2 occasions when the spikes happened something strange happened. Latency Monitor continued running but my mouse and keyboard both became unresponsive. I also received a Windows error message above the System Tray which said that the "Last USB device plugged in was not recognised". The "HOST" LED on the Fireface UC was also lit but permanently. I had to force a reboot of the machine both times this happened.

Whatever happens seems to hit USB devices and on those 2 occasions I just outlined, knocked out all USB devices connected to my machine, forcing me to reboot. The PC continued running and the Programs that were running at the time of the spike continued to appear to run normally, I just couldn't control the machine any more, as my mouse & keyboard were unresponsive.

I was hoping for more info from Latency Monitor because those results don't tell ME anything. Do they mean anything to you?

7 (edited by Timur Born 2019-03-06 00:08:05)

For testing switch the graphic-card driver to the Microsoft VGA driver via device-manager. This may sound like there should be no connection, but with (Asus) X99 there is, especially in combination with NVidia cards/drivers.

Also try to switch the EHCI handoff setting via BIOS.

Hi Timur,

thanks for your reply. I am uncertain as to what you mean when you talk about switching the graphics card driver to the "Microsoft VGA driver".

I can see no way to do that via the Device Manager, only roll back, update, or uninstall the current (Nvidia) driver. Am I missing something?

The ASUS X99 Deluxe has no built in VGA device, so a discrete GPU is required for normal operation. I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting!

My EHCI Handoff settings in the BIOS are as follows:

xHCI  Handoff: Enabled

EHCI handoff: Disabled

According to my understanding, they are the correct settings for functioning USB2 & 3 ports on a Windows 10 OS. Should I try changing them anyway and see what the result is?

Cheers.

9 (edited by vinark 2019-03-06 14:44:44)

Go to device manager, choose update driver, choose search my computerf (at bottom) and next I want to choose from a list (at bottom). Now you will see the standard VGA driver (MS basic display adapter).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

10 (edited by Timur Born 2019-03-07 13:40:53)

(Asus) X99 board come with two issues that cause USB (not just audio) dropouts. EHCI hand-off can cure one of them as it turns control of USB 2 completely over to Windows instead of relying on BIOS. Anyway, try switching both XHCI and EHCI around in different combinations of enabled and disabled.

Disabling (Nvidia) GPU based mouse-pointer (drawing) acceleration can cure the other issue, which also is more severe where dropouts are concerned. Switching to the Microsoft VGA driver turns off GPU hardware acceleration in general, this is for testing. If this helps then you can re-enable the NVidia driver and just turn off hardware based mouse-pointer drawing by using a trick (W95 allowed the user to switch). The trick is to enable mouse-pointer trails via Windows' mouse settings. If this helps then you need to edit the registry to keep trails enabled, but lower the number of trails to 0 (zero).

Using an AMD GPU can help, too, as this seems to be a X99 vs. NVidia thing.

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I have a feeling it might be a BIOS setting because I have recently updated the BIOS because of a separate issue (which reset everything to factory defaults).

It is possible that I didn't set the BIOS setting in exactly the same way as they were before, hence going from working to non working with no apparent driver/Windows related reason.

I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes!