1 (edited by gigeorge 2019-03-04 18:32:44)

Topic: Will this work? (Digiface USB, FF400, anypre)

Hello, dear people!

I've been happily using my Fireface 400 for a good while (and still using it with an on-board pcie->firewire card), however recently I think I may have to record remotely with a laptop. I have an expresscard (a TI 2213B one), but... eh, it doesn't work like the real thing.

So, what I've been thinking is this. Get a Digiface USB (so I could use it on my desktop AND any laptop I come across), use my fireface 400 in standalone mode, and have a 8 channel preamplifier for microphone inputs. This is the plan, based purely on conjecture. Now the questions.

1) Will I be able to get 16/12 channels out of this system @48/96k respectively?[(2 mic, 2 instr, 4 line FF400) + 8 mic pre]@48, [(2 mic, 2 instr FF400) + 8 micpre (2 cables)]@96k

2) What about synchronisation? Will it be necessary to do much research to set it up, or is it as easy as leaving the RMEs on Autosync and just connecting the lightpipes? (totally ignorant on the subject, sorry)

3) What could I expect performance-wise? Do I need much horsepower from my cpu to just pull those 8 or 16 channels into Cubase? More concerned about the laptop here, would an old i5 like 2520M cut it? No plugins, just all the ins safely tracked.

4) Am I seeing this completely wrong? Any other ways about it? (Digital mixers and UI24r type stage mixers I'd prefer to not touch upon at this point)

edit: 5) Regarding analog outputs. Will I be able to route the whole deal to the fireface and have the 8/4 analog outputs available for monitoring etc., or is it possible to use the headphone out of the Digiface as line output?

Thank you for your time,

George

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-09 10:31:09)

Re: Will this work? (Digiface USB, FF400, anypre)

Digiface USB only offers digital ports (ADAT).
The only digital ports on FF400, that you can use in combination with Digiface USB, is one ADAT port (IN and OUT).

You can make the Digiface USB the "clock master" (RME driver settings for Digiface: clock source "internal").
The FF400 will be "clock slave" (RME driver settings for FF400: clock source "ADAT" or "optical").
Of course you need then both devices cabled to PC (USB, FW) and RME drivers for both devices installed.

You need 2 ADAT cables:
1. Digiface USB ADAT OUT -> FF400 ADAT IN
    for the FF400 to be able to
    - get clock from Digiface USB and
    - to route eventually some channels from the Digiface USB to the FF400 (for i.e. additional phones output, etc)
2. Digiface USB ADAT IN    <- FF400 ADAT OUT
    - to route FF400 inputs (Mic, Line, Coaxial SPDIF) to the Digiface through ADAT

ADAT can only carry 8 channels at maximum @44.1/48 kHz. Higher sample rates are possible by channel multiplexing, but reduce the number of useable channels. So for one ADAT port this is the math:
- 8 audio channels at 44.1/48 kHz
- 4 audio channels at 88.2/96 kHz (could be applicable but usually also not really required)
- 2 audio channels at 176.4/192 kHz (not really required, possible but over the tops)

So best would be if you stay with 44.1 or 48 kHz for recording/playback, then it's also easier to stay with one setiting / routing. Then it's also easier, shall you prefer to run the FF400 later in fully standalone mode, disconnected from PC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Will this work? (Digiface USB, FF400, anypre)

Thanks for the answer!

I bought the Digiface after all, hooked everything up just fine. The only thing remaining is to organize a test session to see how the multitracking goes. I'll probably leave a follow up post of how things went in some detail, for posterity.