Topic: XLR Balanced output

Hi all,

Been using my ADI-2 DAC over 5 months. Absolutely loving it. I'm recently fiddling the reference level setting of XLR Balanced Out. I found higher output level gives my loudspeaker a beefier sounds of my liking, hence I'm considering reference level of +13dBu.

Just wondering if that 6dB extra at XLR Balanced out do contribute additional voltage giving a 6.9 volt (RMS)? or voltage will remain at 3.46 volt (RMS)?

Thanks

2 (edited by ting92 2019-03-08 14:21:37)

Re: XLR Balanced output

Just found the answer in user's guide.

Qoute
19.3 Line Out XLR
The ADI-2 DAC has two balanced analog outputs that can operate at levels up to +19 dBu. The
short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs are available as XLR jacks on the back of
the unit.
Unqoute

Didn't know the difference between dB and dBu before. Learnt something new today!

Thanks

ting92 wrote:

Just found the answer in user's guide.

Qoute
19.3 Line Out XLR
The ADI-2 DAC has two balanced analog outputs that can operate at levels up to +19 dBu. The
short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs are available as XLR jacks on the back of
the unit.
Unqoute

Didn't know the difference between dB and dBu before. Learnt something new today!

Thanks

This link is very useful:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm
smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Hallo Ting!

Beefier Sounds ja?   Funny.  That was MY first impression of the ADI-2 as well!!  smile

You sound like a Good Candidate for using the Auto-Ref feature of the ADI-2.   Auto-Ref is a "Big Deal" to me because IT does all the "Level" Calcs, and gives YOU an Optimized SNR as well!   

Enjoy your new ADI-2!   Man...It has a certain Magic about it...:)

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes