Topic: Setting up Babyface Pro/Totalmix with Discord/Skype

First time poster and pretty green in regards to using advanced features of Totalmix.  I pretty much record and do technical stuff outside of the box, and any other production/arranging is done entirely in Ableton, which I have had little issue with to date.  For simple daw interfacing, Totalmix is a cakewalk. 
Inside discord, in the settings pane, I have successfully selected the babyface as both my input (1+2), and output (3+4 which is my headphones for some reason).  But with input and output jacked there is no signal going to discord, even though it detects the hardware just fine.  I know the signal is fine, because I can hear my voice playing back to me clear as day through Totalmix, and can even set the audio to record and playback through Windows 10 as well.  There are literally no more options inside Discord, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the scary unapproachable beast that is Totalmix routing. 
I have previously searched for tutorial videos on routing, but they seemingly go right over my head, and appear to be for much more complicated applications that I don't even understand.  Also, I read a previous post that Matthias addressed where a Mac user was trying to do something similar to me, which he solved through the 'loopback' feature, but doesn't explain how he solved it.  I see the loopback button, but don't understand how it relates to this.  Matthias mentions to refer to the manual, but I can't find this issue addressed anywhere in it. 
I apologize for the inconvenience, but I may have to be walked through this step by step, as this seems to be making sense more naturally to others.  I'm surprised routing would have anything to do with this, though.  I had to do none of this to get my analogue in 1+2 to run to Ableton, so why when 1+2 are selected in Discord would those inputs not automatically output to Discord? 
Thank you for your consideration.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-18 10:02:45)

Re: Setting up Babyface Pro/Totalmix with Discord/Skype

TotalMix routing is not a beast. You simply need to differentiate how your computer and applications work,
that there are ASIO aware applications that can make use of the RME ASIO driver (DAW and some other programs)
and the rest needs to use the WDM devices that you can or need create in the RME driver settings dialog.
And a little bit of Windows 10 specifics ... see below.

1st of all I don't know discord, but using google I learned from reddit that it does not support ASIO.

1st finding for me .. if you compare discord with Ableton, which is capable of using ASIO, then you might compare chicken with eggs under the assumption that you use of course an ASIO driver with Ableton.

Next thing to check is Windows 10 access for applications to microphone, which is blocked per default for security reasons and which might still be blocked if you did not change it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … ft-privacy

This might already solve the issue, please check.

Otherwise ensure that you created WDM devices in the RME driver settings for the I/O ports that you intend to use
for applications that are not ASIO aware, like this discord. Icon at the lower right side of the desktop in the info area.
You need to create WDM devices for all I/O ports that you require, Microphone, Monitors, Phones.
In the speaker tab you select only one WDM I/O port, where your monitors are connected to.
Make this in your Windows Sound settings to the default Windows Sound device (might already be done by you).

Then you only need to use the proper WDM driver / ports for input and output device in discord.

In Totalmix FX you ensure to be in submix mode (upper right).
In the control room assign the Phones Output to "Phones 1" if not already been done,
by this the Analog Output for phones is now visible on the right side in the control room,
so that you can make use of all the features in the control room, like DIM, MONO, etc.
The click to the output channel to se the submix for this particular output channel.
If you speak to the Mic you might see already the Mic channel under HW inputs (upper row).
If you listen to stuff coming from discord application you should see a signal Under SW playback channels.
Create your submix in phones by raising or lowering faders of HW Inputs and SW playback channels.
Store it to a snapshot.

Thats basic operation.

The only thing which could happen now is, that you hear the microphone potentially only as a mono signal in your phones on the L or R side, depending where you plugged the micro.
If I rememebr right the reason for this is, that WDM devices can not be turned into a Mono channel.
As I am not having such a scenario, I forgot how to solve these kind of issues.
Maybe some other kind soul can support you with the rest tweaking.

If you look for some guides in terms of TM FX operation in general (you appear not to be comfortably with,
although it's easy and logic if you understand only a few fundamental concepts), then you could look here:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

Here a diagram from the 1st article in regards to signal flow ASIO and non-asio aware applications:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13