Topic: Want to split headphone signal from RME HDSPe AIO

I have a PCIe HDSPe AIO card installed that I currently use to drive my headphones. My music production workflow revolves around two pairs: Denon AH-D5000's, and a pair of Audeze LCD-X's. I love both of them, but for different applications.

Since I produce bass heavy EDM, I really like the boomy sound signature of the Denon's when mixing, because it allows me to really dial in my sub bass levels and actually "feel" the sub bass. It's almost like having a subwoofer on your ears.

But I also use the LCD-X's for it's superior midrange, sound stage, resolution, and extreme neutrality. I typically use these later on in the mixing / mastering process.

My end goal here is to be able to run both concurrently in the most transparent way possible so I can have the best of both worlds. I was thinking about purchasing a simple 1/4'' splitter and running that into the HDSPe AIO breakout, but I'd really like a way to toggle and independently control levels for each headphone so I'm not constantly re-adjusting every time I change cans.

So my question is, what solutions are out there? Is there a simple interface I can buy that will take in one 1/4'' input (from my sound card) in to an interface of some kind that will allow me to plug in two 1/4'' inputs and control their volume independently? I basically just want a small transparent splitter that will give me gain control and possibly a way to toggle each input on/off. (The HDSPe provides plenty of amplification so I don't really need an amp)

Any help is HUGELY appreciated.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-16 08:31:27)

Re: Want to split headphone signal from RME HDSPe AIO

If you have LCD-X grade phones then get ADI-2 Pro FS.
It has superb phones preamp, I am listening with LCD-3.
Other advantage, you can drive 2 phones in the same superb quality.

Wrote a few blog articles around these articles:

About the ADI-2 Pro (FS device simply has FS and dark mode on top): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/

Audeze Phones review (and some other) on the ADI-2 Pro. The ADI-2 Pro FS supports this very well as you have 2 of the high quality phones preamps, then you can quickly change phones for quick A/B comparisons: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ADI-2-Pro/

You can integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS very nicely by using i.e. the AES port of your AIO: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

As you have already the AIO, you have then high quality AD/DA conversion by the ADI-2 Pro and at the same time TotalMix FX routing capabilities of the AIO plus the ability to integrate an ARC USB into the concept for even more smooth operation:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win7 Prof, Cubase 9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB

Thanks so much for the advice Ramses. Unfortunately the ADI-2 Pro is waaay out of my price range for this. Someone on another forum recommended I get the PreSonus HP4. Wouldn't this work as well?

Not really compareable .. It will work, but is's cheap and you will loose 2 analog outputs of your AIO.

On Thomann I saw no other phones preamp with 2 phones outputs with digital inputs so that you could connect
it at least digitally to the AIO.

The ADI-2 DAC is cheaper compared to the ADI-2 Pro FS, but has "only" IEM as 2nd phones output and is missing A/D which might also be interesting for you.

I personally think there is not real good alternative to the ADI-2 Pro FS, especially if you have already high quality planar phones.

I would order the presonus and the ADI-2 Pro FS at Thomann to get at least an idea what you loose in terms of comfort and quality if you do not take the ADI. Or take it the other way around, if you are also fascinated by the ADI-2 Pro FS in conjunction with the AIO, then do not spend to much money for a temporary solution and then save money for the real thing.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win7 Prof, Cubase 9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB

Got it. Thanks again for your expert advice. I think I'll get the HP4 for an immediate solution, and then save for the ADI-2 Pro FS and upgrade when the time comes. Regarding losing the analog outs, I don't really care about that because my workflow completely revolves around a couple headphones. I don't/can't use monitors due to noise complaints sad.

The only thing I am really concerned about is getting the cleanest possible signal out of the amp, I don't want to introduce any distortion in the signal chain since my main use is music production.

Also, on Thomann, I did a search for the ADI-2. There are a ton of results:

RME ADI 2
RME ADI-2 Pro FS Black Edition
RME ADI-2 DAC
RME ADI-2 Pro FS
RME ADI-2 FS
RME ADI-2 Pro FS B-Stock

Which of these do I need? Is the "Black Edition" better than the regular?

You need ADI-2 Pro FS normal or BE version.
BE is the same like ADI-2 Pro FS, it's simply limited black edition, without rack mount holes.

BR
Ramses

Nice. Thank you so much for all of your help.