Topic: Babyface Pro "Pops" when shutting down/ powering up PC

Greetings,

Yesterday I got this amazing Interface but I'm having one problem with it:

If I disable the power in the Bios so the Babyface Pro turns off when I turn off the computer, whenever I shut down or power my System (PC) I get this loud sound, like a "pop".
And in TotalMix FX I can see this aswell on my AN1, AN2 and INST3/4 channels, indicated by a red clip on these channels.

But if I don't disable the settings on the Bios and leave the Babyface Pro always on this doesn't seem to occur.

What's the best way to deal with this?
Should I disable the power on the Bios for the USB ports or leave the Babyface always on?

At the moment I only have the Babyface connected to the PC and headphones.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvenience.

Re: Babyface Pro "Pops" when shutting down/ powering up PC

Your speakers are too sensitive. Read here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-03-16 08:23:26)

You can solve these level mismatches as described here:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Alternatively turn down volume of your monitors.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the response and the link.

But at the moment I don't have any speakers plugged into the Babyface Pro, just Headphones in PH3/4.
Is it normal to hear the "pop" with only headphones connected?

Sorry for the uneducated questions, just trying to figure this out.

5 (edited by ramses 2019-03-16 11:11:27)

AFAIK RME dampens already the "switch-on clicks" on phones outputs on most of their interfaces.
Also on analog outputs with those: 802, UFX, UFX II and UFX+.

Maybe it helps you to
- reduce the output level of phones
- store it in each of your TM FX snapshots
- store it to your device if TM FX allows for that. BBFP has not 6 different setups like i.e. UCX, but maybe there is still a TM FX option which allows to store the current settings to the device. Check TM FX: Options -> Store Current Stare into Device)
- select in TM FX Preferences (F2)
  (x) Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings
  by this the device will always be initialized by TM FX settings and it avoids the pop-up Window on boot
  whether you want to use the current devices settings or TM FX settings shall they differ.
- check in the Phones Output by clicking on the "tool symbol" whether your phones output supports different output levels.
From Handbook it appears to me they have only one level
I have for example on the UFX+ two levels "Low" and "High", where Low is fully sufficient for me, I need to reduce the volume still to -20dB, so that it's not to loud for a "sane" initial setting.
- You could plug your phones to the smaller 3,5mm phones output. According to manual they have different output:
DA, Phones 3/4
As DA Line Out, but:
Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
Output impedance: 10 Ohm
Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +13 dBu
Max power @ 0.1% THD: 50 mW
Output: 3.5 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
Output impedance: 2 Ohm
Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +7 dBu
Max power @ 0.1% THD: 70 mW

Last alternative solution, get something like a monitor controller.
If I remember right solutions for this have been mentioned in the cited RME thread above.

The "Rolls Royce" solution would be, to use either ADI-2 Pro FS for excellend AD/DA convertion quality.
You can combine it nicely with the BBFP by connecting it via ADAT, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by oniric.pt 2019-03-16 11:19:12)

Thank you once again,
I'll try that but the thing is even if I mute the Headphones or lower the TotalMix Master fader to the lowest setting before shutting down I'll still hear the pop on shut down/power up.
But if I don't shutdown the power to the usb port of the Babyface Pro and leave it on, the pop doesn't happen when I shut down/power up.

Is it safe to leave the Babyface Pro on all the time?

Yes, in the near future I will pair it with an ADI-2 Pro FS for sure, that will be amazing!

Do you use an external power supply ? If not then pls try whether this makes a difference.

I don't use an external power supply. My BBF Pro is directly connected via usb to the PC.
Don't think I have a power supply around atm, something to try later I guess.

I'll just leave it on all the time since it fixes the "pop" for me.

On another topic, this is an amazing interface, love the stability of the drivers and the quality of the sound, its just phenomenal!

A pop sound on the phones output is expected with that unit. It's harmless, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just a quick question before I stop bothering you guys.

I use foobar for music playback. I've lurked a bit here on the forums and I read that I should use the asio plug in for foobar so it can play directly from the asio drivers and get the most audio quality. Is this correct?

Yes. MusicBee is also a fine player supporting ASIO as well.

Checking MusicBee atm, seems good.
In relation to the asio plug in for foobar, is this the one "foo_out_asio" ? Or there is another one more suitable?
Couldn't quite figure it out on Google, but this one is the first to appear on my search.

Once again, sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for taking the time to respond to them.

I have been wrestling with this same issue. And as far as I can tell, it is a hardware level issue. If you have ever owned another audio interface with physical pots for volume, you know that keeping that knob in a volume  position  that works for your listening setup stays the same whether the unit is on or off. With the Babyface Pro, the volume is controlled via software. So when the clipping noise spike occurs, it's because the RME unit has lost its software memory of where the volume position was.

These fix methods suggested here seem to be workarounds. But a true fix would be the hardware, out of the box, storing the last volume position used in memory while powered down.

I asked already but never got an answer back.

What if you power-on using an external Power supply and plug the BBF Pro as last thing to USB ?

Does this setting in preferences help ?
(X) Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

ramses wrote:

I asked already but never got an answer back.

What if you power-on using an external Power supply and plug the BBF Pro as last thing to USB ?

Does this setting in preferences help ?
(X) Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

I don't have the external power supply for this unit, as it didn't come with one and I never knew of a performance advantage.

The preference setting checked, still allows an unrestricted signal 'pop' through the outputs (headphones, monitors, etc) on power off and on.

The 'store current state to device' is not available (greyed out setup options)

I thought that it's maybe worth a try to check to power on the BBFP by using an external power supply.
Maybe the issue with the power-on noise is different then or goes away.
Just an experiment ..

oniric.pt wrote:

Greetings,

Yesterday I got this amazing Interface but I'm having one problem with it:

If I disable the power in the Bios so the Babyface Pro turns off when I turn off the computer, whenever I shut down or power my System (PC) I get this loud sound, like a "pop".
And in TotalMix FX I can see this aswell on my AN1, AN2 and INST3/4 channels, indicated by a red clip on these channels.

But if I don't disable the settings on the Bios and leave the Babyface Pro always on this doesn't seem to occur.

What's the best way to deal with this?
Should I disable the power on the Bios for the USB ports or leave the Babyface always on?

At the moment I only have the Babyface connected to the PC and headphones.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvenience.

Exactly the same thing happens to me, I have my bios configured to turn off all usb ports, but when I turn off my BF PRO I get a pop that is heard in the distance coming out of the output of my headphones and is heard with the headphones on my desktop without having them placed on my head try to lower the volume of everything in total mix but it does not work.
Sometimes I think that if that pop can damage my headphones, I hope not, but I don't understand why such a prestigious brand hasn't paid attention to that detail, the same thing happened to me with my old scarlett interface, it had the same pops

Has anyone at RME thought of an update to fix this? It is an interface that I like and the price deserves it

https://soundcloud.com/endocriner
Babyface pro fs, H110M-D rev.4211, W10, Bitwig 4.0.1, Adam A7

It's already been pointed out that the phenomenon is normal, but harmless. If the power is cut suddenly, there is little the BF as such can do to prevent this - because there's no power...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This question has been answered several times correctly already, but since only half of the comments here seem to acknowledged it: it is not a defect with your unit, you have to just accept that this is how it works. Many people on this thread claiming that it's assuredly harmless to monitors / headphones plugged-in and I find that believable but don't want to find out the hard way so I have my (biamplified) monitors connected to a power strip which I use as an easy on/off switch to control both at once and if I need to start / restart my computer (or unplug the Babyface) I turn off my monitors using the power strip for a moment - I also do this when plugging in ADAT cables to the lightpipe I/O, though its a different sound. I assume the signal is within levels typical to regular output and has no capability to harm my monitors/headphones, as RME would have stated like 100 times in their excellent manuals to be careful of this.

Turn monitors on last, and off first. I also have mine on a power strip. Hifi amps solve this by setting the volume to zero on power off. Unfortunately the USB -powered devices don't get told; the power just gets cut.  It might be possible to set up an 'eject USB on shutdown' script in a PC. Windows Task Manager maybe?

I leave my USB ports powered. I have my powered monitors on the same mains switch as my pc. My volume on my monitors I never touch. When I power down the pc there is no pop. I then switch of the mains so all goes off at once. No pop. When I switch on again no pop. I then boot the pc and no pop. This method works well for me. The bfp is not always powered as I am removing power from the pc.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

DaveDaves wrote:

This question has been answered several times correctly already, but since only half of the comments here seem to acknowledged it: it is not a defect with your unit, you have to just accept that this is how it works. Many people on this thread claiming that it's assuredly harmless to monitors / headphones plugged-in and I find that believable but don't want to find out the hard way so I have my (biamplified) monitors connected to a power strip which I use as an easy on/off switch to control both at once and if I need to start / restart my computer (or unplug the Babyface) I turn off my monitors using the power strip for a moment - I also do this when plugging in ADAT cables to the lightpipe I/O, though its a different sound. I assume the signal is within levels typical to regular output and has no capability to harm my monitors/headphones, as RME would have stated like 100 times in their excellent manuals to be careful of this.

I do the same as you, I turn off the monitors before and I avoid the pop through the monitor outputs.... the problem is in the headphone output. If I want to avoid the unpleasant sound I have to be unplugging the JAck cable continuously and of course that causes wear on the card itself and it is not good

https://soundcloud.com/endocriner
Babyface pro fs, H110M-D rev.4211, W10, Bitwig 4.0.1, Adam A7

Yep, I also turn off my monitors before shutting down. Just the way it had to be.

Fireface UFX II, Babyface Pro, Windows 10, Studio One 5