Topic: New 802 Owner - General Questions

Hi All,

New owner of Fireface 802, and ARC USB remote control (March 12, 2019).  Been putting them though their paces for about 6 days now.  (WIN 10 (1803)).  Updated 802 firmware to latest, and installed latest version of Total Mix (mid-March 2019).

Everything is working, and it sounds good, but I have some questions.

#1: I connect a Focusrite Clarett Octopre to ADAT1 IN.  I sync to the 802's internal clock.  The green ADAT1 LED on the front of the 802 blinks intermittently, and in the Fireface USB settings popup window the "Input Status/ADAT1" entry changes from "Sync" to "Lock" every few seconds.  Normal behavior?

#2:  The ARC USB makes a rattling noise inside when shaken even slightly from side to side - as if something is loose inside.  Sounds like it's coming from under the top 3 rows of black buttons.  The unit seems to be working.  Is this rattle noise normal?

#3:  In the ARC & Key Command Settings pop-up window, there's no option for muting the Phones1(PH9/10) and Phones 2(PH 11/12) channels in the Control Room section of Total Mix.  I know I can just turn down the volume knob on the face of the 802, but it would still be a nice feature to have via the remote.  I worked around this by setting up a Mute Group for each of the Control Room PH channels.  Are there any other ways to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Danny V.

Re: New 802 Owner - General Questions

1: You did not sync the Clarett to the 802's internal clock. The Clarett is not in slave mode.

2: Put your hand on the buttons while shaking.

3: Not at this time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-03-18 20:39:52)

to 1) I assume you connected only Clarett to 802 but not the other way around.
You need to plug additional a cable from the 802 to Clarett to get clock from the 802 as clock master.
Only ADAT OUT ports can deliver clock information to ADAT IN ports (TOSLINK is unidirectional)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the responses.

#1: I did indeed have the Clarett hooked up to the 802 via one optical cable.  I set the 802 to sync "internal" and the front panel of the Clarett to sync to "ADAT."  In spite of the 802 blinking - it was working, and I was able to record through a mic from the Clarett into my DAW.

But after reading Ramses response, (and looking at the Clarett manual) I saw I need a BNC cable from the 802's WC out to the Clarett's WC in to clock from the 802.

#2: ARC USB still has rattling noises from inside while I'm holding the top two rows of buttons.  I think I'll just return it for an exchange.

Thanks,
Danny V.

5 (edited by ramses 2019-03-19 23:07:21)

See post #3 and #4, you got already this information ...

You only need to add one TOSLINK cable from 802 to the Focusrite so that it can read the clock from 802.

You need in total 2 TOSLINK cables
1. from 802 to Focusrite for the clock or if you want to send something to the line outputs.
2. from Focusrite to 802 to transfer the audio signals from Mic inputs through ADAT to the 802.

A clock signal can only being sent by a transmitting port and received by a receiving port...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes, the two TOSLINK cables worked.  In addition to WordClock, the Clarett can also sync to ADAT.

Thanks again for your responses.

Danny V.