Topic: ADI 2 Pro FS Overload/Short Detected

Hello,

I've been having an issue with my ADI 2 Pro FS that I don't fully understand and hope someone can help me with.

First a quick description of my setup:

PC Mainboard native USB > ADI 2 Pro PH 3/4 > Sennheiser HD800S with included unbalanced cable

Firmware/Drivers are up to date

The issue I have is that when I turn on the DAC and listen to music/watch videos/play games I will get the Overload/Short Detected warning message after about 3 hours of use every time. At that point I have to turn off the DAC and back on. However, the device is quite hot to the touch at this point and if I immediately turn the device back on it will only take a few minutes for the same warning message to re-appear. If I choose to wait for 5-10 minutes before turning it back on then I will be able to use the DAC for about an hour before getting the error. If I end my computer session for the day and return on the next day I will be able to use it for 3 hours before the error message appears.

This is inconvenient for me because I tend to use my PC for 6-8 hours per sitting, meaning the first three hours are fine, but then I need to turn off the DAC every hour, wait 5-10 minutes with no sound/music playing until I end my session.

I don't really understand what causes this problem although if I had to take a guess it seems overheating related, but I'm really not sure.

Does anyone know what causes this issue and how I can fix it? Please let me know if you need me to provide more information.

Re: ADI 2 Pro FS Overload/Short Detected

Please return the ADI-2 Pro FS for service or exchange. The phones output is malfunctioning, causing both the heat and the shutdown.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Please return the ADI-2 Pro FS for service or exchange. The phones output is malfunctioning, causing both the heat and the shutdown.

Oh I see. Thanks for the quick reply! Should I contact the merchant or RME itself in this case?

The merchant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The merchant.

Got it, thanks!

Hello,
I have the same problem here - with 3/4 phones and HD800s sennheiser headphones (Lo-power mode)
@LucidTurtle : did you replace the adi? Is the problem solved?
Thank you.
Best.

dctl wrote:

Hello,
I have the same problem here - with 3/4 phones and HD800s sennheiser headphones (Lo-power mode)
@LucidTurtle : did you replace the adi? Is the problem solved?
Thank you.
Best.

Hey,

Curious to find someone else in the exact same situation, but I'm happy to share my findings with you.

After making this thread and reading the replies, I sent my Adi in for repairs and got a new one. I've been using it for two months now, averaging about 6 hours of use every day on Hi-power mode with the HD800s connected. The unit has never once overheated, or short-circuted or anything. It works flawlessly and it gets way less hot than the previous unit did.
I can't say for sure that the problem won't occur again eventually, but the older device started exhibiting problems after using it for only one month so maybe it was just faulty.
But so far everything works just as it should.

8 (edited by dxmat 2019-07-10 08:48:27)

Same problem here.
I sent back my brand new ADI2 Pro FS as warranty.
Now I wait for a solution.

dxmat

RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro FS, UCX

Me too, only in summer in Rome. Probably the ADI is not climate change ready :-)

Could be a solution:
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ea57 … _1534.jpeg

Mine is back from assistance.
The motherboard has been replaced and now it works well.
The heat is always high. (my room temperature is 28 ° C = 82.4° F)
I use a very silent fan by Noctua to keep the temperature more acceptable.

dxmat

RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro FS, UCX