Topic: Solutions for covering red power button light

Hi Folks,

Recently purchased the ADI-2 DAC, which overall I think is magnificent!  There is one thing I'm trying to solve though, which is the red light around the power switch, which I don't want illuminated since it's next to me when I'm in bed.  Interestingly, I can darken the whole front panel in 'dark' mode when the unit is ON, but there is no way to darken the red power light when the unit is OFF.

I know I can add an external power switch, but would rather not do that.  I thought about maybe applying a thin rubber washer to hide the light ring, while allowing the button to be pressed.  I don't think I want to just use tape, as I think that may not look very good.

Has anyone who covered the light found an elegant solution?

Thanks

Re: Solutions for covering red power button light

> [...] found an elegant solution?
- close your eyes ;-)
- Put a tea cup in front of it
- move the alarm clock in front of it

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> [...] found an elegant solution?
- close your eyes ;-)
- Put a tea cup in front of it
- move the alarm clock in front of it

Ah, a wisenheimer, eh smile?  Seriously, it would be great if any of those would work, but in my case no such luck.  Anyhow, I did get a few black rubber washers and a little glue stick, so I'll see how that works.  I'll post a picture if it works well.

By the way, I would have a glass of wine instead of a cup of tea, but unfortunately a wine glass is clear smile.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-03-22 21:57:17)

I have such an issue with my clock .. I put my cup of tea in front of it not to be blended by the intensive LEDs.
If I want to see the time, I move the cup a little bit.
I didn't want to fool you ...
Its simply a pragmatic solution that works and costs nothing.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Gridlock 2019-03-22 22:19:40)

I get that works for you, which is great!  I just don't have much room on my night table; I have room for the RME unit, and a lamp.  I also like keeping the unit as close to me as possible, so I can reach over in my half-sleep daze to change volume.  So for me, covering the power switch ring with something would be a better solution.

Now, where did I put that glass of wine? smile

ramses wrote:

I have such an issue with my clock .. I put my cup of tea in front of it not to be blended by the intensive LEDs.
If I want to see the time, I move the cup a little bit.
I didn't want to fool you ...
Its simply a pragmatic solution that works and costs nothing.

+1 on the red power button light being unsightly.

However, can’t get everything right but it would be nice to have the option to turn off the red standby light from the settings.

May be a darkish green would have looked a bit better.

No complaints about the white power on light though.

Regards

Rodney  :  )

Rme Ucx + Rme Adi-2 Dac Fs

Two solutions:

1. Don't turn it off and keep it in autodark mode. That's what I do. It has pretty minimal power draw.
2. Use LightDims (http://lightdims.com), they're available from the manufacturer's web store and Amazon.

I get where RME is coming from with its insistence on lights on studio gear, but the right thing is to make this stuff user-customizable, not force the issue on people with photo-sensitive eyes who don't want bright LEDs everywhere. I'd probably upgrade to the ADI-2 Pro FS from the ADI-2 DAC, but none of its extra features outweigh the visual discomfort of not having a true autodark mode.