Topic: Wordclock advice needed.

I have a Fireface UFX, and two Focusrite Octopre's.

I would like suggestions as to the best way to hook them up and exactly what parts I need.

Obviously two wordclock cables.

Would it be best to connect a BNC T adaptor to the wordclock out of the fireface, then cable to the inputs of the Octopre's?

Would I then need a BNC T adaptor on each Octopre with a terminator on each?

Or Out from the Fireface with a cable to a T adaptor on Octopre 1, chain from adaptor to T adaptor 2, Octopre 2 with terminator also connected.?

Or something completely different?

Re: Wordclock advice needed.

Which Focusrite Octopres do you have exactly ?

If the Octopre has ADAT in, then clock by using ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes they both have ADAT.  Are you saying I don't need wordclock cables?

Focusrite OctoPre Platinum - 8ch preamp - w optional A/D converter card

4 (edited by ramses 2019-03-26 19:25:42)

You misunderstood, do they have ADAT _IN_ ? Because you can only receive clock on an inbound ADAT port ....
Some Octopres have ADAT in (if they have analog ouputs), some not ... clear now ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I recently purchased a Fireface 802.  I synced it to my Focusrite Clarett OctoPre via 2 Toslink cables.

RME ADAT1 out to Focusrite ADAT in; Focusrite ADAT out to RME ADAT1 in.  Set RME device to use "internal" clock source/sync; set Focusrite to use "ADAT" clock source/sync (via front panel).

Just make sure the sample rate matches between the two units.

It works fine.

Danny V.

Exactly this I wanted to propose, but we didnt get the answer which Octopre he has exactly ...

No they do not have ADAT In's, Out only.  Back to wordclock connections.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-03-26 21:57:11)

Exactly.
Do they have a configurable 50 Ohm resistor ?

Unlike with computers you can try to perform WC cabling from device to device like it could be done with RME devices.
AFAIR RME devices refresh WC signal on WC OUT.
So .. try this:

Enable WC on all devices.
On the 802 end enable 50 Ohm WC termination.
Then the following WC cabling:
1. from 802 to Octopre#1 and
2. from Octopre#1 to #2.
Check whether Octopre #2 has internal 50 Ohm resistor which can be activated. Otherwise simply try without.
If this doesn't work, get a BNC T adapter and a separate 50 Ohm resistor
and plug it on the other side of the T adapter at Octropre #2.

Ok, first I'm on the fireface ufx.  I can't try anything until I get some parts. So I guess  a couple of cables, a couple of T adaptors and may I assume the 50 Ohm resistor is the same thing as the terminator plug?

I'm happy to buy what I need, but I'm in the sticks so it's online for shopping. Prefer to not buy what I don't need smile

Update:

I received two cables, two T adaptors and a terminator plug. Connected from the out on the Fireface to Octopre 1, with a T, I connected to Octopre 2 using a T and the terminator plug.

Everything appears to working correctly, Fireface clock is set to Internal.  I see the Lock LED's are lit up on the Octopres, The Fireface UFX USB window show after both ADAT 1 and ADAT 2  the word sync.

I believe all is as it should be.  Is there anything further I should do to test this set up?