1 (edited by dustin 2019-04-06 20:26:33)

Topic: EQ Display Idea

Hi All,
Big fan of my ADI-2 Pro, I use this unit every day for work and switch between two pairs of headphones for different purposes, and I've just started using the eq functionality, a different preset for each set of headphones.

I was wondering if there would be a way to show what eq preset is active at a glance, perhaps something like a color change or addition to the display title:

Eq inactive:
"Phones Out 3/4"

Eq preset 1 active:
"Phones Out 3/4 (1)"

Or perhaps the name of the eq preset?
"Phones Out 3/4 (LCD-2)"
(perhaps character limitation comes into play here)

Thoughts?

Re: EQ Display Idea

dustin wrote:

..... I was wondering if there would be a way to show what eq preset is active at a glance .....

Yes, that would be very helpful. I mentioned this already.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28331

Mac Mini 2018, Apple Thunderbolt Display, macOS Monterey, ADI-2 DAC V.1, Hifiman Arya V.1

3 (edited by ramses 2019-04-07 09:28:27)

Maybe it helps you as well..

What I am doing is to assign the EQ key in the front with "EQ+B/T+Ld 1-4"

By this you can toggle all PEQ, B/T and dynamic loudness settings at once to have a nice A/B check how it would sound without all adjustments and without.
When you push the knob then it shows you the current state.

My experience is that once you have a certain setting, then you do no change it anymore.
So that you could regard this as fully sufficient

If you are unsure, whether you or somebody else changed something, then you can also restore the complete setup additionally.

You can even assign the four remappable keys with different setups to change between them.
Also very useful with the ADI-2 DAC as you can recall them also with the remote control.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Nice idea!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

Maybe it helps you as well..

By this you can toggle all PEQ, B/T and dynamic loudness settings at once to have a nice A/B check how it would sound without all adjustments and without.

My experience is that once you have a certain setting, then you do no change it anymore.
So that you could regard this as fully sufficient

If you are unsure, whether you or somebody else changed something, then you can also restore the complete setup additionally.

You can even assign the four remappable keys with different setups to change between them.
Also very useful with the ADI-2 DAC as you can recall them also with the remote control.

So far my best compromise has been to go flat on one set of headphones and EQ on the second set, and set the eq button to 'eq 3/4 on/off' so I can quickly press and see if my eq is in or out; this gets me 90% of where I want to be. (My other buttons are used for Mono 1/2, Mono 3/4, and Mute All)

MC wrote:
ramses wrote:

Nice idea!

Thanks for the indication. Nice, but also in this way one has to push a button!
What I mean is: I mostly use the Top Screen "Dark Screen". This screen shows also B/T, so why not "EQ: on/off" or even better the name of the active EQ preset?
There is an empty line left on Dark screen.

Mac Mini 2018, Apple Thunderbolt Display, macOS Monterey, ADI-2 DAC V.1, Hifiman Arya V.1

There is no such space on the ADI-2 Pro, as it has 2 times the DAC display (two stereo output channels), and we try to keep them similar.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Curt962 2019-04-08 15:19:09)

Good Post Dustin.   I've been away from my ADI-2 DAC for 2 weeks, and now am in need of some re-education. 

My Question:   When assigning Set Ups to the Remote Keys (Hardware Diagnosis),
I am struggling a bit to get the Unit to retain my assignments.   All set ups are stored, but pushing any of the 1-4 Keys on the Remote gives me only the EQ+B/T+L on/off function. 

Ive dwelled in the Users Manual to find an answer, as I'm certain I'm missing a Step in the Process. 

Any suggestions are welcome...Thx!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Did you set the Remap function to 'Remote'? Also using Setups the current remap settings are stored in these, so you have to remap the remote keys within all Setups, or the remaps will change as soon as you load a Setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Curt962 2019-04-08 16:00:31)

Yes!!!

Thank You MC!!!

In a flash of Sanity, I realized this, and MANUALLY Assigned the Remote Keys in EACH Set-Up.   Works Perfectly as of 2mins ago. 

Viele Dank!!

Curt

PS:  My Set Ups assigned to the Remote are:

1 - SD Sharp Linear EQ
2 -  NOS w/EQ
3 - NOS Linear EQ (for high SR recordings that don't require EQ in the Audio Range)
4 - DIM.  (Just in case the Phone Rings)

Exactly what I wanted.

11 (edited by Curt962 2019-04-08 17:02:17)

Dustin,

Sorry to Hi-Jack your Post, but Yours DID lead to a bit of enhanced learning on my end.  Thanks for that!

Lesson Learned - The ADI-2 is essentially a Computer, and where Key Re-Mapping is concerned, we MUST give the ADI-2 Clear instructions of what our Remote Keys do once it goes to its new Set Up.   I didn't do that initially, and that is what caused my difficulty.   

MC?  Perhaps a (!) Note regarding this could be included in a Future Revision of the User Manual.    Just to keep us on track.

Further, Possibly a Future Firmware Revision to "Transplant" our Key Remapping Assignments to ALL Set Ups?

Thanks All!

Curt

MC wrote:

There is no such space on the ADI-2 Pro, as it has 2 times the DAC display (two stereo output channels), and we try to keep them similar.

OK, but on the ADI-2 DAC it could be very useful if some could have EQ Preset display as an option. During my work I have to check or change EQ Presets all the time (depends on the music source). Thanks for reading ... I shut up now wink

Nico,

I agree, that would be quite nice, but as I sit 10ft from my ADI-2, my Eyes wouldn't see it.

A quick glance at your EQ setting is right there with a press of the EQ button.   I only have Two (2) EQs in my Set Ups, so perhaps it's easier for me.   If you sit very near your ADI-2...The EQ button tells all.

Curt