Topic: Minimum GPU For Totalmix

Just realized that Totalmix has been using 25% of my GTX 1080 while it's open.

I have a Core i9 processor so I don't have integrated graphics to run it off of, just wondering what would be the minimum GPU spec to run Totalmix.

Looking for a fanless card to run it, would a GT 710 cut it? I would think so, but the fact that it's using 25% of my GTX1080 seems like it's much more power hungry than one would assume.

Re: Minimum GPU For Totalmix

Typcial is about 3%. Try to disable 'Use D2D' in Preferences, maybe that helps.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Typcial is about 3%. Try to disable 'Use D2D' in Preferences, maybe that helps.

Looks like that helped, may I ask what D2D does exactly?

Still using around 1GB of my VRAM though, I like to leave it open at all times, may still be worth a dedicated GPU and I'm assuming the GT710 would work swimmingly.

roderrooder wrote:

Still using around 1GB of my VRAM though.

Are you sure Totalmix uses that much of your VRAM?

On my i9 system it's using barely 20 MB of the graphics card's RAM in D2D mode and about 6 MB with D2D disabled (then only when the window is open). With about 30 active channel meters, the GPU load doesn't even reach 10%. In this case a lot of this may have been used by the DAW as well. I have a GTX1050Ti - usage numbers are from GPU-Z.

System RAM usage of TMFX itself is about 23 MB (reading from Windows 10 task manager).

fripholm wrote:

Are you sure Totalmix uses that much of your VRAM?

On my i9 system it's using barely 20 MB of the graphics card's RAM in D2D mode and about 6 MB with D2D disabled (then only when the window is open). With about 30 active channel meters, the GPU load doesn't even reach 10%. In this case a lot of this may have been used by the DAW as well. I have a GTX1050Ti - usage numbers are from GPU-Z.

System RAM usage of TMFX itself is about 23 MB (reading from Windows 10 task manager).

I guess when I look directly in task manager it shows Totalmix is only using 2-8% but there are other processes seemingly linked to Totalmix that bring that percentage higher. Like right now, total mix is only using 3% but my total GPU usage is at 20%, when I close Totalmix GPU usage is around 3%.

The other processes are "Desktop Integration" (11%) and "Desktop Window Manager" (6%), but when I close Totalmix those processes fall off hard bringing total usage to 3%.

It also seems to be affected by what screen I have Totalmix on, usage is higher when the window is placed on my 4k screen as opposed to my 3440x1440 or 1080p screens. Maybe I'll have to get a GT 1030 to drive my 4K display and run Totalmix on that.